SASS Wire Forum

Dressed for the part

Chili Pepper Jack

24 minutes ago, Wapaloosie73 said:

Creeker came after me with a hatchet in my Cowboy Airsoft thread, because of authenticity.

I likely have come across too abruptly - simply because I feel as strongly about participation as you do about correct impressions and attire.

But I will apologize.  You have every right to oprganize your game as you see fit.

But there are those of us who ENJOY reenacting and authenticity.....it's not a crime either.

You are absolutely correct - it is not a crime - but it is also not a requirement.

As long as the shooter meets the BAREST minimums - they are legal and NOT a word should ever be said to them about their attire.

You may disagree where that minimum is and again, that is your right.

I guess to put it another way 

Can you imagine the uproar if a "FAST" shooter stated, that all shooters should have to go out and shoot a stage and if you can't shoot it clean in 16 seconds - then you're not really set up to be a cowboy.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Creeker, SASS #43022

Apology accepted. Airsoft is very different. Milsim west (see my thread) is wildly popular BECAUSE of realism. People are paying good money (like 200 bucks) to be immersed into a realistic environment. And not a backyard pick up Airsoft game. Something we strived for with BRS as well. Their expectations are high and they are willing to buy the needed gear to participate. And with BRS we loaned out tons and tons of gear, and lit off lots of money in pyro for them. Nam era prc 25 radios are not cheap and we had four. 

Now on to SASS.

As I said in another post, an impression is only part of it. People wanting to own and become proficient with antique firearms is awesome. I have zero problems with SASS minimum requirements.  But I'm not in favor of getting rid of them either.

Lastly very very few of us are real cowboys, if we all want to go watch real cowboys we need to go to a ranch roping competition.

http://www.thecalifornios.com/

Men who are still making a living with a 75 ft reata on open range.

I understand entirely what you said about not taking ourselves to seriously. 

But it would be fun to get a large group of mounted shooters and trail ride from stage to stage? Nothing crazy. Dragoon style. Dismount, shoot, remount, trail ride some more, repeat.

2 hours ago, Wapaloosie73 said:

I think you need to go back and reread all of my post. Because we don't have a beef here.

Wasn't singling anybody out, including you. I've seen the attitude I mentioned in a LOT of folks lately. It's bothersome to me because in my very first post in this thread I bragged about how great SASS is because everybody can play their own game to get maximum enjoyment out of it. Then we have people come along and pee on that very concept. If you're not one of those people then my words weren't meant for you.  

P.S. Your Airsoft game looks like a blast and a half. And the scenery is beyond gorgeous. 

Thank you.

The two laps around the arena was a joke, I promise. Would I like to coax people to be more authentic? Sure. I think it enriches the experience. But I'm not for raising the requirements and booting people out of SASS either.

Cowboy reenactors have other organizations they can seek out and be apart of as well.

11 hours ago, Sgt. Chesty SASS # 73317 said:

How are they "gear cheaters" if their rig falls in line with the rules??? 

Sgt Chesty, Like I said "holsters almost touching". I know people have comp rigs that run pretty close to the line but when I see (saw) a top competitor and their holsters are not even one fist apart, they are cheating. Rules are rules, follow em or you're a cheater.

CPJ, I know it's hard to start out with a full wardrobe and I don't expect newbies to, just wish those that have been around for a while wouldn't just phone it in when it comes to costuming. My feelings only and I don't expect anyone to change because of how I feel about it. Like I said, I don't call em out or say anything to anyone at the match, just like to see a little more "Cowboy". I include myself in this: I'm continually looking for more stuff to wear. Being in GA, I'm not going to wear woolies, but I try to make an honest effort and it's what "I" like. If you go minimal, in my opinion you're missing out. I wish my own girls would get into the dress a little more and I'm tryin with them. Just my wishes, not expectations for anyone else.

7 hours ago, The Rainmaker, SASS #11631 said:

Sgt Chesty, Like I said "holsters almost touching". I know people have comp rigs that run pretty close to the line but when I see (saw) a top competitor and their holsters are not even one fist apart, they are cheating. Rules are rules, follow em or you're a cheater.

CPJ, I know it's hard to start out with a full wardrobe and I don't expect newbies to, just wish those that have been around for a while wouldn't just phone it in when it comes to costuming. My feelings only and I don't expect anyone to change because of how I feel about it. Like I said, I don't call em out or say anything to anyone at the match, just like to see a little more "Cowboy". I include myself in this: I'm continually looking for more stuff to wear. Being in GA, I'm not going to wear woolies, but I try to make an honest effort and it's what "I" like. If you go minimal, in my opinion you're missing out. I wish my own girls would get into the dress a little more and I'm tryin with them. Just my wishes, not expectations for anyone else.

Well you should know I will be showing up this month sporting a smart new outfit that is 100% Cowboy!

11 hours ago, The Rainmaker, SASS #11631 said:

Are you saying that the holsters were less than a fist apart at the belt? If so that would be cheating. If you are talking about them being close at the muzzle end of the holsters, but are at least two fists apart at the belt, that is not cheating.

Capture.PNG.3010caf97a81cc524f5466b2e1e0905e.PNG

2 hours ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

And a very slick set of Jimmy Spurs pistols!

You know that is right Captain Bill, like Silk so bring your A game! LOL

On 7/27/2017 at 2:36 AM, Shorty Jack Hammer said:

I love shooting, but I became disenchanted with the competition and egos in other shooting sports. Then I heard about CAS and thought "dressing like a cowboy and shooting cowboys guns? That for me" I'm there for the dressing up and for the competition but I work harder at the dressing up than I do at the competitive shooting. My wife loves coming along and dressing up, but hasn't taken the plunge into shooting.......yet. I shoot classic cowboy just because of the costuming requirements. Oh and my wife made the dress in the photo of us together

IMG_0754.JPG

IMG_0767.JPG

IMG_0768.JPG

I think the best and most important part of your outfit is that smile!

No matter to what extent one chooses to dress for match, if you're not wearing a smile (most of the time) then there are probably better things you could be doing with your time and money.

On 7/28/2017 at 9:54 AM, Roscoe Regulator said:

I am very much into the costuming as a new shooter, but it is frustrating because of sizing, fit and inability to try on first, expense, and things like the prettiest but subtle colored rags being sold out. Also some of the items get set aside when it is hot, although at our latest match with relaxed dress code, most were still very much in costume, in spite of early temps moving into the 90s.  I read your post as interest in preferences and think it is too bad that responses have to be framed as grumping about the rules and pop psychology.

The next time you're at a 2 day shoot where Dutch Henry and Brenda are vending, pick out some things on day 1 and Brenda will (probably) let you take them back to the hotel to try on.  The 2nd day you can either bring her back the clothes or the money.  Other vendors may be the same way but I only know about these folks from personal experience.

On 8/2/2017 at 3:37 PM, Chili Pepper Jack said:

You seem to be 100% correct that can is open and all over the counter! 

:lol::lol::lol:

Thanks for this!  This thread was really going south fast and needed a bit of humor about now.

6 hours ago, CodyMaverick said:

:lol::lol::lol:

Thanks for this!  This thread was really going south fast and needed a bit of humor about now.

It seems that you are the only person that found it humorous, but that is good enough for me!

Archived