SASS Wire Forum

Cartridge Loading Tool

W. D. Pickett

I have seen the claw shaped tool used to push the last round into the magazine of a rifle with the loading gate but can't seem to find a source.  I saw one somewhere but don't remember.  Any help.  You can go ahead and laugh.

Deer antlers.

Cut one off.

Put it in a cartridge loop.

Done.

Rooster 

I use one attached to my hand, called index finger.  Hard to misplace it.

Lots of folks use an old piece of deer or elk antler, blunt tipped.

But never seen a claw.

Good luck, GJ 

Maybe is was a deer antler.  Someone had them made and were listed on a web site but I have forgotten it.

Ya know, if you are having problems getting last cartridge in far enough to lay straight in a toggle - link rifle, you just need to do the beveling of the loading gate mortise and solve the underlying problem.  Once you get the mortise beveled properly, no need to push the cartridge farther than what is needed to let the loading gate snap shut.

Good luck, GJ

Hi WD,

If you decide you would like a deer antler tool; look for them in pet supplies.  They sell antlers for dogs to chew on.

Go to the store, find one that looks good, buy it, take it home and cut it to length, drill a hole in it and put a leather shoe lace through the hole and you're done.

Keep it in your cartridge loops on the gun belt.  You will look cool! 

You can also insert the antler in an empty brass case.  That's cool too!

Mo

W.D. Pickett, I found hand carved eagle heads made from deer antlers on eBay for less than $20 with free shipping. If you don't like eagles you can look for other shapes. I found one for $10 that is about the diameter of a .45 cartridge and could be slipped in a gun belt, as Rosster suggested..

Check this out: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xdeer+antler+eagle+head.TRS0&_nkw=deer+antler+eagle+head&_sacat=0

Dutch, I saw a homemade one of those at a match last month. Guy made it out of PVC tubing. I am tempted to make my own just for fun.

for a friend with arthritis I went to Hobby Lobby, got a wooden ball (they come with starter hole in them) used a piece of 1/2" dowel and glued up a 'helper' for him.  Was about 5" long buy whatever works for you.

Know we weren't talking about arthritis but sorta fits in here

Also made him a pvc speed loader--he loves it.  takes a few tries to get the angle correct at loading port but once he figured it out he is lightning fast.

(he shoots two rifles vs pistols and rifle as he can't hold revolvers any more safely--SASS allows accommodations for medical reasons.  It's a club level category and he doesn't ever, ever, ever go any higher to state or regional.  

cr

6 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Dutch, I saw a homemade one of those at a match last month. Guy made it out of PVC tubing. I am tempted to make my own just for fun.

I shoot with quite a few pards here in Ohio that use homemade versions that work very well.

I was just trying to convey an idea, not necessarily endorsing the specific product in the video.

If your going the dowel and ball route look in the muzzle loading section of your gun store for a ball starter.

1 hour ago, Dutch Wheeler said:

I shoot with quite a few pards here in Ohio that use homemade versions that work very well.

I was just trying to convey an idea, not necessarily endorsing the specific product in the video.

Oh no, Dutch, I didn't think you were promoting anything in particular. Just an idea for a fast and easy loader. 

I looked that one one over In the video pretty well and I am going to try making one soon. I am glad you posted it :D

I believe I've seen them at the Klassic Laser Works booth at shoots for just a couple of bucks.

http://www.shootingbums.org/klassiclaserworks/

Archived