SASS Wire Forum

.32 S & W Long Brass vs. 32 H & R

Max Payne

The wife will start shooting 32 Vaqueros soon, & I need to decide whether to buy & load up S & W Long or H & R.

Love to hear some knowledgeable opinions. Thankyah!

You will run into the same problems that the people who shoot 38's in their 357's, carbon build up in the space between the s&w and the h&r cartridge. If you are starting from scratch why not get the proper brass and avoid a possible headache. There really is no benefit to shooting the shorter cartridge other than the few pennies extra for the h&r brass. Actually, just checked Starline and h&r brass is actually less expensive than the s&w brass!

JMHO, YMMV

.32 S&W Long is available from most Ammo mfgs plus Starline.  .32 H&R mag is Federal and Starline.

I like both but would probably use the Long brass of it was only for pistols.

We use both.  But find more consistency with the smaller cases due to the light loads and smaller case volumes.  

We have loaded them up pretty peppy too and either will work.  I prefer the star line cases as they hold up better after multiple loadings. 

I ended up using the 32 H&R because in addition to the revolvers I shoot the 1894 Marlin Cowboy in 32 H&R.

MAX,

In the pistols, you will be fine with either brass.

But, if you ever think you might want to shoot your .32 ammo in a rifle, particularly a Marlin 1894, the .32 H&R Mag brass will be your best friend.

The .32 S&W Long brass can be used in the Marlin, but you will either have to load your ammo to a longer OAL or have your timing advanced to have more appropriate timing for the shorter OAL of the shorter stuff.

Congrats on those .32 Vaqueros.   I have a pair and they are super.

..........Widder

Thanks for the feedback. And, just to confirm, the H & R is longer than S & W long, right? I don't see either of us ever shooting other than 38 in 1873's.

I bought a pair of those 32's that Davidsons offered about 15 months ago. Bought brand new mag brass from Starline, loaded with coated bullets. About 6 in 10 would not chamber deep enough. I knwo what your thinking, but I have been loading for 18 - 20 years and never had this problem. Went back and tried more crimp and less crimp. Finally bought some SW Starline brass and they chambered just fine. Others told me they had to ream out the chambers a little more on their pistols. Your mileage may vary, but you asked for opinions.

Hey GOODY...... thats a darn good post.

I had forgotten that when I tried some of the .32 H&R mag brass using 'certain' type bullets, they would not chamber well in the Vaqueros.   They worked great in the rifle.   But there was something about the Vaquero chambers that just wouldn't allow me to use certain style bullets seated at a recommended length.

I did have other bullets to use and tried those.   Everything worked great.

If the owner of the Vaqueros uses .32 H&R mag brass and wants to use a variety of bullets, he/she might find some difficulty with some bullets not chambering well.

BUT, with the S&W Long brass, bullet variances should not be a problem in those Vaqueros.

..........Widder

I have two sets of the Ruger Single Sixes .32 H&R Mag, often called "baby Vaquero's". I had the chamber problem for a minute...got Lee factory crimp die and my HR cartridges seat just fine(.78 gr and 100gr lead). They work like a champ in my Widderific Marlin!! Yes, the H&R Mag brass is a good bit longer than the SW. 

Also, Max, I happen to know the powder you're gonna use - Widder uses it too. No problem not filling the case AT ALL. Been shooting 32 pistols for two years and 32 rifle for Year and a half. The powder isn't temp sensitive either! 

Hugs!

Scarlett

1 hour ago, Scarlett said:

I have two sets of the Ruger Single Sixes .32 H&R Mag, often called "baby Vaquero's". I had the chamber problem for a minute...got Lee factory crimp die and my HR cartridges seat just fine(.78 gr and 100gr lead). They work like a champ in my Widderific Marlin!! Yes, the H&R Mag brass is a good bit longer than the SW. 

Also, Max, I happen to know the powder you're gonna use - Widder uses it too. No problem not filling the case AT ALL. Been shooting 32 pistols for two years and 32 rifle for Year and a half. The powder isn't temp sensitive either! 

Hugs!

Scarlett

If your powder is CLEAN SHOT, its my #1 favorite in the .32 H&R with all bullet weights.

I also use it in my 9mm and C45S ammo.  It meters great, like liquid mercury... ;)

And its consistency metering from the powder hopper could be defined as 'perfect'.

..........Widder

I have a set of "Baby Vaqueros" and can load any bullet I have ever tried without problem.  The reason is that I final crimp with a Redding Profile Crimp die.  Using this die, you can throw the cartridge gauges away, because if they are ran through the Redding die, they will fit any standard chamber of that caliber. As an aside, I much prefer the 32 Mag. cases.  I load them with Bullseye to a velocity of 675 FPS, with 100 grain bullets.   Extremely accurate and a pleasure to shoot.

RBK

Hmmm. Lots to consider. The little woman will be using Clean Shot & 97grn bullets from Scarlett (You're welcome, Scarlett!) at local matches, & Black powder at State, Regional, & EOT. Our regular crew are using the S & W Long cases, which I had kind of settled on, but I hear what the Judge said above about using the mag cases for the BP.

Much appreciate all of the feedback!

Thank you, Max... :wub: 

On ‎4‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 1:34 PM, Goody, SASS #26190 said:

I bought a pair of those 32's that Davidsons offered about 15 months ago. Bought brand new mag brass from Starline, loaded with coated bullets. About 6 in 10 would not chamber deep enough. I knwo what your thinking, but I have been loading for 18 - 20 years and never had this problem. Went back and tried more crimp and less crimp. Finally bought some SW Starline brass and they chambered just fine. Others told me they had to ream out the chambers a little more on their pistols. Your mileage may vary, but you asked for opinions.

Is this situation unique to the late-run Davidsons? Sage and I have been running Ruger 32's for the last twelve years extensively, with just about every bullet made for the caliber, from 78 gr. R/N thru 115 gr. RN/FP in Starline H&R brass with ZERO chambering problems. I use Dillon dies.Just curious to see if any "vintage" 32's showed this problem.

Thanks

Archived