SASS Wire Forum

what likely killed my duck?

Trigger Mike

each day i look to see how my 2 ducks made it through the night. this morning in the midst of the fog I saw both of them. Male and female. An hour ago i looked out again and saw only one and can hear him quacking over and over. usually they are mostly quiet except for chatter among. they are so close to each other that often it looks like one duck is in the pond until they turn and then you can see 2. while ago i saw a trail of white feathers leading into the woods on 2 different cuts in the grass which makes me wonder if it was 2 predators. i have not found any bones as of yet so it must have eaten it or carried it off. when my dogs used to attack my ducks they always hurt them and then left them to die so i figure it was not them especially since they have stopped doing that.

My guess: Fox or Coyote. When we had chickens and ducks we lost a few to them. Saw a fox dragging a duck toward the tree line one day. We managed to rescue the duck but he was messed up in the head, mentally, from that time on. We also lost several chickens to dogs. You are right, dogs tend to just tear them up and leave them laying around. We came home and found 5 dead chickens, just torn up and left for dead one day shortly after seeing a couple loose dogs in the area.

Kind of like vandals. I really hate vandals. I'm not a fan of thieves, either, but at least I can understand thieves.

Angus

Yes, fox or coyote. One night, somehow, a coyote scared my little white and black hen, Blanca, into flying out over the pen and took her. I followed the trail 1/2 mile to a very large brush pile on my neighbor's place, crawled in there about 15' back, through an opening and shot a female and 3 pups with an Ace-equipped contract 1911. I gathered up as much of Blanca as I could find and brought her home. I was cut up and scratched pretty good from that. I have a very soft spot for my animals, too. But, I've had coyote go after my horses, too, but the horses gang up on them.

Depending on where you live, the likely suspects are coyote, fox, skunk, raccoon, bobcat, or Chupacabra:-). In town, if your cat goes missing, it's probably fox or coyote.

Edited by Cat Brules, SASS #14086

Mrs. Lose wanted some ducks in the little creek out back not long after we bought the house in 1992 so I went out and found some ducks that were grown and would stay around. They did pretty well the first couple of days and then each night the herd would get thinner. One night I heard a racket out back and turned on the flood lights and there was mama bobcat and three kittens finishing off one of the remaining ducks. I wanted the bobcats around worse than I did the ducks because we have a heck of a rodent problem so eventually the ducks were eliminated. I see the bobcats around occasionally usually in the spring when there are kittens.

Walter & Leroy got ambushed by a couple Coyotes a few months back.

Walter quickly grabbed the phone and starting dialing for help.

Leroy said: "Quack, quack, quack"..... (who you calling?)

Walter said: "Quack, quack, quack"..... (I'm dialing 9-1-1 for the Police.)

Leroy said: "Quack, quack, quack"..... (Tell em some varmints are stealing the Donuts. They'll get here quicker)

When Walter hung up the phone, Leroy ask: "Quack, quack, quack"..... (well, what did the Police say)

Walter said: "Quack, quack, quack"..... (sorri, we don't respond to Quack callers)

Those 2 crazy ducks never cease to amaze me.

..........Widder

Walter & Leroy got ambushed by a couple Coyotes a few months back.

Walter quickly grabbed the phone and starting dialing for help.

Leroy said: "Quack, quack, quack"..... (who you calling?)

Walter said: "Quack, quack, quack"..... (I'm dialing 9-1-1 for the Police.)

Leroy said: "Quack, quack, quack"..... (Tell em some varmints are stealing the Donuts. They'll get here quicker)

When Walter hung up the phone, Leroy ask: "Quack, quack, quack"..... (well, what did the Police say)

Walter said: "Quack, quack, quack"..... (sorri, we don't respond to Quack callers)

Those 2 crazy ducks never cease to amaze me.

..........Widder

Would you stop it?

It really, really hurts when I laugh that hard... just got out of the hospital.

(joshin'... that was funny, Widder. Not yore fault... but it did kinda hurt some.)

ts