SASS Wire Forum

2017 Iron Hero Match - Grand Island, Nebraska

StirrupTrouble

Entries are starting to come in for the match, and planning is well underway. Stages have been written, match books are being worked on, and we are working to improve upon last year to make it an even better match. The Platte Valley Gunslingers look forward to showing you guys a good time for an affordable cost.

Planned Events

On Friday, October 20, 2017, tours of the Hornady manufacturing facility are available to shooters and their families that are interested. Hornady has offered these tours at no cost. If you are interested in taking part, please note on your entry form. If you are not sure, please mark that you are interested. We would rather plan heavy than have you miss out.

At 7:00pm on Friday October 21, 2017, we will meet at Perkins restaurant for a get together before the match to visit new and old friends. The meal is not included in the match fee, but please indicate the number who will come with you on the entry form for planning purposes.

Saturday, October 21, 2017, the gun smoke and lead starts flying. Eight stages are planned with lunch included in the entry fee. After the main match stages are complete, the Battle of the States side match will begin. Awards to follow.

Notes on Josey Wales

For those that are shooting Josey Wales, you will shoot four pistols and a shotgun. Two of the pistols will be staged where the rifle would be staged and will be used to engage rifle targets. For pistols in this category, cowboy port arms will mean at the low ready.

Battle of the States

This year we are adding a new side match, so don’t put your guns away quite yet in case eight stages isn’t enough for you. Shooters from each state will select four shooters from that state (each state may have more than one team). If there are not four shooters from your state, you may recruit outsiders. Each shooter may only shoot the battle once. On each team, each shooter will shoot one gun and will stand in front of their targets. At the start signal, first pistol shooter will engage his targets, holster, then run over and tag second shooter, who will engage his targets, until all four shooters are finished. Total after penalties will determine winning team.

Awards

• Top three in each category
  • Top team in Battle of the States
  • Top Cowboy/Cowgirl
  • Best dressed Cowboy/Cowgirl

Match fees are very affordable, with extra discounts for early signups. Space is limited and we will have to limit entries to 75 shooters, and we don’t want anyone to miss out

Paid Entries Before June 1: $40

$50 Standard

Paid Entries After September 1: $60

Info and entry forms may be found on our website

https://www.platteva...unslingers.com/

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey Major, ya git it sent off yet? Wouldn't be the same without cha!

Got it filled out, ready to go... Just need to drop a check in there. Really looking forward to this years Iron Hero.

The tour of Hornady will be a good time, I have been there once before several years back. It is really neat how they manufactur bullets. Would highly recommend it to all those that can make it Friday for that! Then the dinner at Perkins was great too, hope to see many there again this year.

Already getting some entries in. According to the park, if we hit 60 shooters this year we can move back to a two day annual in 2018. If we do, it will be a true Iron match, with either 14 or 15 stages over two days (8-6 or 9-6). Details are pending for now. Last year our entries increased 42% over 2015. Looking forward to trying to put on a fun match for all that can make it

The two day match sounds good but the one day 8 stages works better for me.I can leave here Friday shoot Saturday drive home Sunday and only

take one day off work. jmho

That will be taken into account Your Nemesis. If the shooters would rather have a one day shoot like it is, I have no problem leaving the Hero as is. One big day is easier to manage than a whole weekend :)

Let's just do one day but 12 stages now that's an iron man. We will be sending in our app when we get back from WR.

We had such a good time last year. See ya soon

LBF

Let's just do one day but 12 stages now that's an iron man. We will be sending in our app when we get back from WR.

We had such a good time last year. See ya soon

LBF

Now that sounds like FUN!

Be glad to have you Kid. Entries received by June 1 get a $10 discount, so only $40 for the match, and the Friday Hornady tour is free if you get in on Friday

I'm comin'!!

You tell 'em I'm comin'!

And hell's comin' with me.

Hell's comin' with me, you hear?

HELL'S COMING WITH ME!!

See you there.

Mustang

:FlagAm::FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm::FlagAm:

Stirrup:

Oh yea, I do like the idea of grounding revolvers (two) in the JWC. Safer and faster!!!!

I was trying JWC at a local match and I lost one of my Birdhead 4.6" Vaqueros (unloaded) out of a shoulder holster. OOPS....Oh damn...Done for the day. :rolleyes:

MG

• 3 weeks later...

Ol' Stirrup does have a bad case of waterfowl alignment disorder. He has to keep his ducks in a row. I know what that is like, I suffer from the same thing, though am not as good at keeping it under control as he is.

:FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm:

I'm signed up. But Russ T.Spittoon can't make it as he has a big trap shoot in CO that weekend.

Mustang

We just filled out the  registration form. Will put into the mail tomorrow. Can't wait we had a great time last year. Hopefully we will see a couple of you guys this summer on the range. Be safe see ya soon.

LBF

For those who are coming to town for the match, the Days Inn on Diers Avenue (by Walmart) has new owners and the rate are VERY affordable....$55/night with breakfast. 2620 Diers Ave., Grand Island, NE 308-384-8624. I hope this info is useful. This hotel is about 20 minutes from the range with traffic

I got a message from Stirrup the day after the last Hero match that he was already working on the next Hero match. That's dedication...

See you all there!

DM

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Entries are well ahead of last year at this time. Shaping up to be our biggest match yet. Still time to get the early bird discount for entries received by 6/1

Archived