SASS Wire Forum

Cops' badges

Alpo

Anyone know of any agency in this country where they wear the badge on the RIGHT side of the chest?

TV, ever now and again, they'll show some cop or other, wearing his on the right. Just seemed really weird, unless there are agencies that wear them there.

Can't recall. But Rhode Island State Police don't wear a badge at all.

NJ state cops don't wear a badge on their dress uniforms either.

Cops down our way (back when I was young and skinny) had a brief vogue of sewing a badge shaped patch on the shirt.

This was because of a good old fashioned knock down drag out bar fight.

One of the Sheriff's deputies was really, really unhappy when a participant in our local sport grabbed his badge and ripped it (and a significant square footage of cloth) off his uniform shirt.

Rumors to the effect that the bar fight ended when said deputy slung said screaming scoundrel through the tavern's front window are to be discounted.

Little known facts of interrest

http://www.symbolarts.com/2013/01/5379/

The Badge on the right side is a lefty thing. I don't know of any departments that allow it but it only takes one time going through a shotgun qualification course where you shoot and scoot 25 or so slugs or buckshot before you remember to remove or switch your shiney steel badge with its pin hand bolsters on the back. Today with a vest the stock of the shotgun just hangs up on the badge back in 1983 without a vest it only took a couple of shots before you lost concentration on the course and were thinking of just how long it was going to take to heal.

Did you ever notice, the bigger the badge, the least authority that officer has, compare a security guard badge size, a municipal/county LEO, a state LEO, and a Federal Officers badge size.

I see no correlation.

When I was in high school, the local cops' badge was, maybe, an inch and a half tall or long or whatever the dimension is.

About 20 years ago they switched to an LAPD-size one. What's that - about four inches?

I see no correlation.

When I was in high school, the local cops' badge was, maybe, an inch and a half tall or long or whatever the dimension is.

About 20 years ago they switched to an LAPD-size one. What's that - about four inches?

I'm passing on my observation from wearing all 3 mentioned. Your millage may vary.

Not sure the cloth sewn on badges are a good idea. I'd most likely assume anyone with a sewn on badge was just wearing a costume, or at most a security guard. Which means unless I was someplace I'd expect to hire a security guard, I would not afford them the proper courtesy.

Not sure the cloth sewn on badges are a good idea. I'd most likely assume anyone with a sewn on badge was just wearing a costume, or at most a security guard. Which means unless I was someplace I'd expect to hire a security guard, I would not afford them the proper courtesy.

Cloth sewn ons have been around for over 20 years. If in doubt look at the patch on the shoulders. 99% will tell you Department, and State.

In the ghetto you will be in a good fight at least twice a week and those pin on badges would go flying. Kind kids would pick up the badges for you, but you would never see the badge again. Off to the market to get sold & now you got a bad guy with a authentic badge which will cause problems. Now, them badges are expensive, I would guess around $100 by now. State patch on the arm, besides everyone knows a cop when they see one.

Archived