SASS Wire Forum

CAS Experience vs. IDPA Match Scenario

I'm a long-time CAS shooter who dabbles in other activities, mainly IDPA. I shoot a revolver in IDPA, which is a separate class. Recently had a stage where it was three target's, draw and dump six shots in each target. Please note that revolvers in IDPA are limited to loading a max of 6 rounds. Loaded 6, fired 5, reloaded 6, fired 5 and repeated. My CAS experience kicked in, and gave the Peanut Gallery a good laugh. Still won my class as I was the only revolver shooter; duh! Anyhow, constant repetition has its own drawbacks.

I shot IPSC for six years before CAS. My goal was to a 'B' or better with my three guns that might be used for self-defense: Smith 625 in .45 ACP (revolver), Smith 1911 (Limited Ten) and Beretta 92 (production). I used the game to build pratical skills.

I have shot Wild Bunch only a few times, but have decided not to shoot it anymore. Shooting from condition three, shooting the gun dry and dumping the mag after five rounds conflict with the practical skills that I learned in IPSC.

I understand the reason for the WB rules and have NO desire to challenege them. I just choose to shoot cowboy guns in cowboy style and hope that muscle memory does not kick in with my other guns.

I too have shot five rounds from a six-shooter in a modern scoot 'n shoot match. Habits take over when you are shooting fast. I've also been DQed for shooting while moving with a 1911 (allowed in other action pistol sports). I too have no criticism of WB rules.

I used to shoot IDPA....every match I went to everyone was so arrogant they all thought they were Clint Eastwood, and more aptly looked like Dom Deluise.....so, ye I don't shoot it anymore.....CAS 10 times more fun! :-)

BD

I used to shoot IDPA....every match I went to everyone was so arrogant they all thought they were Clint Eastwood, and more aptly looked like Dom Deluise.....so, ye I don't shoot it anymore.....CAS 10 times more fun! :-)

BD

lol.jpg

Archived