SASS Wire Forum

NCAA "amateurs"

CBS and Turner broadcasting have just locked up an extension with the NCAA on their current contract to broadcast the post-season basketball tournament. It works out to $1.5 billion per year over the life of the contract (thru 2032). Folks this is just for basketball -- after the regular season.

My alma mater, Kansas, pays coach Bill Self $5.1 million per year. 2 more of his players just declared for the NBA draft after just 2 or so years of playing. The athletic department is now building a luxury hotel -- umm, 'dorms' -- to house its 'student' athletes.

How can anyone say this is amateur athletics with a straight face?

Rant over. :)

If we were to be honest with ourselves, we would not call it a sport. but rather a business, on all levels above T Ball.

But T Ball was much more fun to watch...Kids counting blades of grass or flies buzzing around...And the ball bounces on by them...Enjoyed watching that time and somewhat later games...As long as the parents were kept in right field...Some sure can screw up a game...

TL

College athletics... hmmm. Silly me, I thought college was fer getting an education.

Better raise tuition to pay for the "student" athletes' lifestyle.

I like the German model for colleges.

First, only about 15% of high school student enter university, and earn degrees in useful topics. The skilled trades are honored and most students enter apprenticeship programs with no notion that they "couldn't get into college."

Second, there are not intercollegiate athletics at any university. There are local athletic club teams in almost every town, and students can play on those teams. But you will not see a 100,000 person stadium for any college soccer team.

"Athletics" are a big generator of income for most universities. Just ask the coaches at UT Austin.

"Athletics" are a big generator of income for most universities. Just ask the coaches at UT Austin.

Yup.

Most of the income stays within the athletic department. That's what pays for the luxury 'dorm' facilities, stadiums, field houses and astronomical coaches' salaries. The University/College as a whole gets little if any of it except a mention before a game. I always laugh my a** off before an NFL game when they announce the players. "Player X of (fill in the blank school) is starting at (position)..." As if he graduated.

The conundrum is that alumni fork over more $$$ to their school if it has a winning athletic program. Academics? Bah!

Its the new age america. Entertainment pays, education doesn't

Archived