SASS Wire Forum

Clays powder, made in Canada

load smokeless by weight! ALWAYS!

Promo and a few other smokeless powders are widely known to have varying densities. Thus, bushing numbers never govern.

Good luck, GJ

That is a little more variation than is normal, but i believe the specifications for "canister" powder is 15%. Since that is 11%, it is within specs.

That's why they tell us to always double check when opening a new batch of powder. And it doesn't hurt to check after it has been stored a while as well.

I'm not metric informed/ educated. So Canadian metric is different in grains than what the Aussie made powder is? Isn't Australia also metric? I'm not trying to be a smart a$$...I just thought metric in Canada and Australia would be the same.

Grains, gentlemen, are completely a US/English measurement.

Powder density targets between one manufacturer and another is purely a matter of chemical engineering. Would all the chemical engineers in the room please rise and testify?

Good luck, GJ

I haven't seen the new Clays yet, but since the shortage I found some International Clays. Using the same #30 bushing as I did with regular Australian Clays, load dropped at 19gn. of International Clays which is the load I was looking for with International! So I'm wondering! Is the Canadian Clays more like International Clays?

Boy!!!! There's nothing like starting a BS conversation on the wire, which always gets convoluted beyond comprehension.

Garrison Joe has it completely correct. Load it by grains as you do all other powders. Change bushings or measures to accomplish the given specified weight and load away.

Density of the powders will almost always change between different manufactures, making the same performing powders. Much like Red Dot and Promo, which have the exact performance when used in identical WEIGHTS, but are definitely of different densities.

Just load the Canadian Clays in the same WEIGHTS you do with Australian Clays and all will be well. No other considerations are needed or necessary.

Boy!!!! There's nothing like starting a BS conversation on the wire, which always gets convoluted beyond comprehension.

Garrison Joe has it completely correct. Load it by grains as you do all other powders. Change bushings or measures to accomplish the given specified weight and load away.

Density of the powders will almost always change between different manufactures, making the same performing powders. Much like Red Dot and Promo, which have the exact performance when used in identical WEIGHTS, but are definitely of different densities.

Just load the Canadian Clays in the same WEIGHTS you do with Australian Clays and all will be well. No other considerations are needed or necessary.

+1

Good one Vicious, you have our American friends totally confused.

And yes only the silly American do not use the superior metric system.

However the automotive industry in the good old US uses the metric system as well.

As do a lot of other industries.

All in good fun pards

Cheers Lefty

Sorry I blew up!! I do not think it is a (BS conversation)

Sorry I blew up!! I do not think it is a (BS conversation)

Those comments weren't directed at you, LSL. As far as I know.

The "BS conversation" remarks seemed to have been directed at some of the "metrics units" follow-on comments, made mostly as jokes.

Your original post certainly needed to be asked, if you didn't know whether new Clays smokeless powder data would be the same weight (Yes) or the same volume (No) as old Australian-made-Clays data.

Load safely, and good luck, GJ

Those comments weren't directed at you, LSL. As far as I know.

The "BS conversation" remarks seemed to have been directed at some of the "metrics units" follow-on comments, made mostly as jokes.

Your original post certainly needed to be asked, if you didn't know whether new Clays smokeless powder data would be the same weight (Yes) or the same volume (No) as old Australian-made-Clays data.

Load safely, and good luck, GJ

Thanks again GJ, and lets let this one fade away

Archived