SASS Wire Forum

Breitling Super Constellation Head-On Takeoff & Landing

Subdeacon Joe

Connie was probably the most beautiful airliner ever.

Heck of a crosswind! Glenview NAS has been closed for some years now. Used to drive by it quite often. They had P2V Mercator patrol bombers and F9F-6 fighters. I remember having to dodge a couple of the latter flying into to one of the local airports, mainly Palwaukee in a light plane!

You have to head into the crosswind component on approach, and then kick out the "crab" at the last second. Also, holding like a Chinese (Wun Wing Lo) helps, but also causes a slip that will increase the rate of descent.

You have to head into the crosswind component on approach, and then kick out the "crab" at the last second. Also, holding like a Chinese (Wun Wing Lo) helps, but also causes a slip that will increase the rate of descent.

Depends on the slip. The forward slip is used to increase rate of descent without increasing airspeed as would happen by pointing the nose down. The sideslip is for landing in crosswinds, but does not increase the rate of descent. Side slipping for landing is generally performed on short final, and preferred over the kickout method as it provides a more stable approach.

Both the Navy and AF used them as the EC-121. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockheed_EC-121_Warning_Star

in the 1950s, the Navy variant was designated the RV7. My dad's ECM/SIGINT squadron VQ-1, flew the super connies in the late 50s from Iwakuni, Japan and later from Atsugi. At that time, dad flew the Douglas A3D Skywarrior, Lockheed P2V Neptune and Martin P4M Mercator.

Speaklng of which, a bit of trivia for a previous poster. The P2V was called the Neptune and built by Lockheed. The P4M Mercator was built by Martin, which was the losing bidder on the Navy contract for a twin engine patrol plane. While the Neptune had twin piston engines and jet engines in separate pods, the Mercator had twin piston engines and jet engines nestled in the same nacelle (look closely at nacelle under the wing). In order to help pay Martin for its development costs, the Navy ordered 39 planes, most of which went to VQ-1. Lockheed built several hundred, some of which are being used today as air tankers to fight forest wildfires.

Images below are Mercator and Neptune, respectively. The PR designation shown on the tail represents VQ-1 whose call sign was "Peter Rabbit." I don't know what squadron is LC, but the plane is representative of the type my dad flew.

P4M_bw.jpg

P2V-5F_Neptune_VP-8_in_flight_1959.jpg

Notice the P-2 has no gun turrets, and a MAD boom which the P4M lacked. The Navy version of the B-24, Navy designation PB4Y-2, notice the single tail.

http://ww2db.com/images/50f47f8f40629.jpg

That's cuz they didn't use the P2Vs for ferret missions as they did with the P4M.

Link doesn't work at my end, but here's an image of a P4Y my dad flew as a Hurricane Hunter (VJ-2) out of Jacksonville, FL in the early 50s. In addition the single tail, note the extended fuselage. On the B-24, the cockpit was barely ahead of the props.

It was a beast and reportedly took a lot of strength to fly, but he seemed to like it and P2s as much, and perhaps a teeny bit more, than the big jets like the A3D

P4Y.jpg

During the Cold War, in the 60s, the constellation with a huge radar dome on its back would fly low over my house to land at the local airport every few hours, day and night. What a noise!

Archived