SASS Wire Forum

Speaking of WWI

Utah Bob #35998

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Roger. Will advise when arrives.

No need. I have a tracking number. I will follow it from Colorado to New Mehico, to Nebraska, to Missouri, to Ohio, back to Nebraska, over to Nevada, then California and eventually to you. That's the usual path of things I order on line. ;)

Didn't come in today, Bob. Probably tomorrow.

Here's the tracking on it.

https://tools.usps.com/go/TrackConfirmAction!input.action?tLabels=9405803699300197510801

I forget when they filmed the interviews, sometimes in the early 1990s I believe, but at the end they show

them and give the specifics on date of birth and date of passing. Almost all of them lived beyond 100.

One thing I found interesting is the different takes on their involvement in the action, depending of

course how they served and the time of the war. It was not a good time to be living, I suspect.

That battle of the Somme was something else. Casualty list were long and gruesome.

Guest Hoss Carpenter, SASS Life 7843

UB

I too have seen the DVD; it is awesome. In the Fall of 78 I was stationed at Zweibrucken AB, Germany. On Nov 11th , I drove over to Verdun; only a couple of hours. I got there early and spent most of the day at the Museum; it is horrifying. The worst sight is a huge vault with glass side filled with human skeletons of both countries! I left the Battle Field Museum very glum.

As I drove back into the small Village of Verdun about 1630, I stopped at a small Bar, which was decorated in Red, White and Blue bunting. I walked in and everyone in the room stopped talking and stared at me. (reminded me of several Western movies). I went to the bar and ordered a Stella (beer). The Bartended said, "you American?" I said yes, and I then had several more beers, and never paid for one of them! I shook every hand in the place, and went home with on old couple to their Cottage and spent the night. Had to call back to the Base early and tell my Major, I would be a little late.

Most of the people in that bar were elderly French and most could speak little English. I had a few phrases I knew in French from College, but every one there thanked me for being an American and "saving" their country! This was not Paris! I have never bad mouthed the French people since then. What a trip that was! I never went back to Verdun; however I did get to Normandy twice.

Cheers, Hoss

UB I too have seen the DVD; it is awesome. In the Fall of 78 I was stationed at Zweibrucken AB, Germany. On Nov 11th , I drove over to Verdun; only a couple of hours. I got there early and spent most of the day at the Museum; it is horrifying. The worst sight is a huge vault with glass side filled with human skeletons of both countries! I left the Battle Field Museum very glum. As I drove back into the small Village of Verdun about 1630, I stopped at a small Bar, which was decorated in Red, White and Blue bunting. I walked in and everyone in the room stopped talking and stared at me. (reminded me of several Western movies). I went to the bar and ordered a Stella (beer). The Bartended said, "you American?" I said yes, and I then had several more beers, and never paid for one of them! I shook every hand in the place, and went home with on old couple to their Cottage and spent the night. Had to call back to the Base early and tell my Major, I would be a little late. Most of the people in that bar were elderly French and most could speak little English. I had a few phrases I knew in French from College, but every one there thanked me for being an American and "saving" their country! This was not Paris! I have never bad mouthed the French people since then. What a trip that was! I never went back to Verdun; however I did get to Normandy twice. Cheers, Hoss

It truly was a war that should have ended all wars.

Too bad it didn't. :(

It went out today. It is a very powerful presentation.

The man that said they should have sat down at a table and settled it at first was putting steel on target.

Duffield

It just arrived at my house today! Bob, can you please PM me with whomever is next and their address?

Will do.

10 demerits to Duffield for failure to follow instructionsand not including the list!! :rolleyes:

Bob,

The list was inside with the DVDs.

Duffield

10 demerits to Cyrus then . :D

historicaly speaking there were 40 million casualties but with all the nations involved there population was close to 500 million people i know its a lot, but more deaths were caused buy sickness and famine but it is the first war that was not for the glory of one nation although that is what started it, and yet it pales to comapre to the slaughter of the second ww with estimates of 60 million

and over a billion people involved

They look very clean and well fed. ;)

Archived