SASS Wire Forum

Speaking of WWI

Utah Bob #35998

100 years ago this month the war in Europe had been going on for a year and a half. The US wouldn't be involved for another year. Thousands of young men were being slaughtered by the new weapons of modern warfare.

I have this 2011 DVD that was 15 years in the making. It's 3 hours long and contains interviews with over 100 British and Commonwealth survivors of The Great War. It is fascinating, horrifying, heartbreaking and puts a human face and average soldier's perspective on the conflict.

I propose that we make a list of interested parties who want to view this. I will send it to the first fella on the list and then it can be passed on down the line, either directly or by sending it back to me and I'll forward it.

Put your name down in a reply to this and PM me with your mailing add and we'll get the ball rolling.

CA4yOc.jpg

SwQoTg.jpg

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My granddad was a pilot in the Royal Air Force in WWI. He was Canadian (there was no RCAF then, of course) who originally entered in 1914 as an artillery officer, but became a pilot and flew as an artilleryspotter.

He had a couple of close calls. He lost power at 4,000 feet once, but those planes glided well. He landed behind enemy lines, but not far behind. He got a whiff of mustard gas, but not much, so he made it back.

We still have all his papers and uniform, nearly 100 years old now. He died at 82 in 1977, so I knew him well into adulthood. Used to hunt pheasants with him many a Saturday morning when I was a kid. He always used an old Sterlingworth double 12 gauge.

Hard to believe it's all been so long ago now.

Badger is first on the list for the DVD!

Thanks Bob.

My mother had two uncles that served in WW I. One was gassed and had a raspy voice for the reset of his life.

Another was a mechanic in the Army Air Force and worked on the planes. In civilian life he owned a garage

and was employed by the US Post Office as a rural delivery man. Folks had to make do with what they had.

Wish I had paid more attention to them when they spoke.

Please put my name on the list, Bob.

I'll forward it to the next when I'm done, if that's OK with you,.

Hard to believe it's all been so long ago now.

Only 100 years, Not long at all.

My favorite way of putting things in perspective. My dad's VFW post has a fair number of Doughboys in it. So I met WWI vets. I even met a Span Am war vet. Now, that gentleman likely knew Civil War vets. And a good chance they knew Rev. War vets. So, from Rev., to CW, to Span. Am, to me. Four handshakes, 4 lifetimes, span our republic. Not very long at all.

Back in the 70s I had a doctor who was wounded and gassed in France. Had a gravelly voice like Sen. Dirkson.

Mean stuff that Mustard gas. Now those idiots in the Middle East are playing with chemicals, so I have heard.

Gas mask in WW I were probably not state of the art in todays world either. I suppose they did serve their purpose.

Please put my name on the list Bob.

I will forward it to the next on the list.

Thanks for making this available.

Duffield

My grandfather was a Sgt. in charge of a machine gun squad. 90th Texas/Oklahoma "TO". I still have his uniform. He didn't talk much about the war. Some of the few things he talked about: Carrying around a piece of burnt bread and being glad he had something to eat; How worthless the French Chautchaut(?) machine gun was; Germans running barbwire in a "V" funneling troops into a machine gun emplacement and how the Germans would dig tunnels into the back side of a hill so allied artillery would pass over it, yet when occupied by Americans the German artillery fire could go right in. He didn't like troops looting German bodies, but he did pick up a German lighter somewhere. He tried to save a piece of shrapnel from a German artillery shell that hit a tree next to him, but it burnt his hand when he tried to pick it up.

I don't recall him ever mentioning getting caught in mustard gas, but my grandmother blamed that for killing him. He was 90 when he died. That mustard gas must have been some slow working stuff. :-)

Thanks for bringing back the memories.

Angus

I've seen the DVD so I'll pass. My Grandfather was with the first group that went over with Pershing. He was gassed and pulled out of the line to recover while training with the French and missed Cantigny. Got back in time to participate in Mt. Michael, Sissons, and the Muse Argonne. He was shot in the thumb during the Muse Argonne and the war ended before it was healed. Died of Cancer in 1935 at Hines VA Hospital in Chicago so I never knew him.

The 100th anniversary of the start of the battle at Verdun is coming up, either tomorrow or Monday :(:blush:

The Meat Grinder kicked of on Feb 21, 1916. Lasted for almost a year.

The price of fighting a war with the last war's tactics.

Sending men up against entrenched firepower is always costly.

The Maxim made it extremely so and the Mauser M 98 was a great help to the Boche.

My grandfather was a Sgt. in charge of a machine gun squad. 90th Texas/Oklahoma "TO". I still have his uniform. He didn't talk much about the war. Some of the few things he talked about: Carrying around a piece of burnt bread and being glad he had something to eat; How worthless the French Chautchaut(?) machine gun was; Germans running barbwire in a "V" funneling troops into a machine gun emplacement and how the Germans would dig tunnels into the back side of a hill so allied artillery would pass over it, yet when occupied by Americans the German artillery fire could go right in. He didn't like troops looting German bodies, but he did pick up a German lighter somewhere. He tried to save a piece of shrapnel from a German artillery shell that hit a tree next to him, but it burnt his hand when he tried to pick it up.

I don't recall him ever mentioning getting caught in mustard gas, but my grandmother blamed that for killing him. He was 90 when he died. That mustard gas must have been some slow working stuff. :-)

Thanks for bringing back the memories.

Angus

This is awesome. Your grandfather's unit decided to have an American-style county fair in Germany after the war ended; they were part of the occupation for awhile after the armistice was signed. They made their own currency for the fair, which is sought after by some collectors these days. I came across four of their $10 notes when I was a kid and added them to my coin collection. Here is one of them:

2ptecrc.jpg

This is awesome. Your grandfather's unit decided to have an American-style county fair in Germany after the war ended; they were part of the occupation for awhile after the armistice was signed. They made their own currency for the fair, which is sought after by some collectors these days. I came across four of their $10 notes when I was a kid and added them to my coin collection. Here is one of them:

2ptecrc.jpg

No, THAT is awesome! VERY cool! Is there anything on the back?

Thanks for sharing.

Angus

2ptecrc.jpg

I love the history lessons I get here. Thanks!

Great-uncle (grandmother's brother) served with the 31st Inf. Rgt (Illinois National Guard, IIRC). Went through Belleau Woods along side the Marines...or so I was told. Don't remember much about Uncle Leo, as I was around 7 or 8 when he passed from lung cancer. He was gassed, but I wonder if the fact that he smoked "helped" kill him. I remember going to the cemetery in Chicago on Memorial Day. The American Legion would fire volleys over the graves. First time I ever saw the fired .30-06 brass from their rifles.

What most people don't realize is that the mess we are in in the Middle East and S.W. Asia is, in part, due to the outcome of WWI! :unsure: You see, apart from our part in The War to End All Wars, Britain and France were not only fighting the Germans, but their ally, the Ottoman Turkish Empire. After the Armistice was signed, representatives of the two Allied powers sat down with a map of the Middle East, and simply drew lines on the map, dividing Ottoman Turkish territory into areas of control. The French got what became Lebanon, Syria and most of Iraq. The Brits got Palestine, Saudi Arabia (which was then turned over to Ibin Saud and the royal Saudi family, etc. (I may not be exactly accurate on the divisions.) They paid no attention to ethnic divisions within these territories. Thus, the Kurds' homeland got split between Iraq and Turkey and some other areas. Sunni and Shia Muslims were pushed together. Over in "Injia" the British had Muslim, Hindu, Sikhs, and I don't know what else, all in one country. After WWII, India got autonomy, but the Muslim territories were split between East and West Pakistan. That didn't work, so part became Bangladesh. Of course, the U.S. got involved when we got rid of the Iranian government we didn't like and installed the Shah on the Peacock throne! The rest, as they say, is history! :(

Great-uncle (grandmother's brother) served with the 31st Inf. Rgt (Illinois National Guard, IIRC). Went through Belleau Woods along side the Marines...or so I was told. Don't remember much about Uncle Leo, as I was around 7 or 8 when he passed from lung cancer. He was gassed, but I wonder if the fact that he smoked "helped" kill him. I remember going to the cemetery in Chicago on Memorial Day. The American Legion would fire volleys over the graves. First time I ever saw the fired .30-06 brass from their rifles.

What most people don't realize is that the mess we are in in the Middle East and S.W. Asia is, in part, due to the outcome of WWI! :unsure: You see, apart from our part in The War to End All Wars, Britain and France were not only fighting the Germans, but their ally, the Ottoman Turkish Empire. After the Armistice was signed, representatives of the two Allied powers sat down with a map of the Middle East, and simply drew lines on the map, dividing Ottoman Turkish territory into areas of control. The French got what became Lebanon, Syria and most of Iraq. The Brits got Palestine, Saudi Arabia (which was then turned over to Ibin Saud and the royal Saudi family, etc. (I may not be exactly accurate on the divisions.) They paid no attention to ethnic divisions within these territories. Thus, the Kurds' homeland got split between Iraq and Turkey and some other areas. Sunni and Shia Muslims were pushed together. Over in "Injia" the British had Muslim, Hindu, Sikhs, and I don't know what else, all in one country. After WWII, India got autonomy, but the Muslim territories were split between East and West Pakistan. That didn't work, so part became Bangladesh. Of course, the U.S. got involved when we got rid of the Iranian government we didn't like and installed the Shah on the Peacock throne! The rest, as they say, is history! :(

Probably the 131st Regt. They were assigned to the 33 Inf Div in 1917. The 33rd participated in The Meuse-Argonne, Somme, and St Mihiel.

There's a lot of info here iof you're interested.

http://www.idaillinois.org/cdm/ref/collection/isl8/id/10724

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e4/131_Inf_Rgt_DUI.png

My grandfather was a "Buck" sgt and a motorcycle messenger. Just what does the "Buck" term mean? I have his tunic framed hanging on the wall. Also have his mess kit, induction and discharge papers.

A buck sgt is slang for the lowest ranking non-com. Tecnically just Sergeant, after that rank comes staff sgt, sgt 1st class, master sgt etc.

A buck sgt. is a E-5 three stripes.

Dang Bob is quick. But Corporal is the lowest rank NCO

True. Where was my head? I meant lowest ranking Sergeant.

I don't know about UBs units but in my artillery battalion Corporals were quite rare. Easy to forget.

Corporals were virtually non existant in my units. Mostly SP4s.

Here's the list:

Badger

Subdeacon Joe

Duffield

Cyrus Cassidy

Irish Tom

Cleburne

Woodbury Bill

Texas Bart

Clay Mosby

Still need addresses for:

Cyrus (but I understand you may in transit soon)

Cleburne

Texas Bart

If I can get addresses from everybody I'll get it out asap. Don't forget to include the list when you forward it to the next guy.

If you break the chain you will be haunted by General Haig (Douglas, not Al) douglas-haig.jpg;)

We did not have any corporals in our regiment, that I knew of. All of the E4s were SP4s. That said, I saw very few

SP5s, but they were usually at HQ.

But, Col. Ward had the BIG BIRD. :)

What a fine leader that man he was. The Second would follow him anywhere.

He had a bunch of bad a$$es from Texas that he had to control. :lol:

So I send the disc to Joe when I am finished watching. Is that correct, Bob?

2ptecrc.jpg

Cyrus,

One more question if you don't mind. I got to thinking that way back in '19 $10 was a lot of money. If this was currency printed up for an informal "county-fair" type event wouldn't it make more sense if it was for .10 instead? I was recalling an old recipe my grandmother had "to feed 4" that began "Start with .50 of Roast Beef..." Not that it makes any difference in the real world, I was just wondering. It's still a very cool item.

Angus

Cyrus,

One more question if you don't mind. I got to thinking that way back in '19 $10 was a lot of money. If this was currency printed up for an informal "county-fair" type event wouldn't it make more sense if it was for .10 instead? I was recalling an old recipe my grandmother had "to feed 4" that began "Start with .50 of Roast Beef..." Not that it makes any difference in the real world, I was just wondering. It's still a very cool item.

Angus

Hard to say if these are 10 dollar, 10 cent, 10 pfenning or 10 mark notes. But you're right in that 10 bucks was virtually a koenig's ransom in Deutschland in 1919.

As soon as I get Cleburne's info I'll get it in the mail.

Archived