SASS Wire Forum

Speaking of WWI

Utah Bob #35998

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

An excellent WW 1 movie to watch is "Passchendaele" It is a Canadian production filmed just outside of Calgary. The battle scenes are super realistic in the mud, blood and the beer so to speak. It is very historically accurate. It was written, co-produced, directed by and starring Paul Gross. He played the Mountie in the series Due South. The Mountie with the dog named Diefenbaker and worked with the Chicago Police Dept.

I was going to try out for one of the extras but, they were only looking for slim built 19 and 20 somethings. The gun guy for the movie is one of our SASS shooters and he said that he contacted every known gun collector in the province to borrow enough period rifles and revolvers for the movie.

Highly recommended.

I'll second Buffalo Creek's recommendation.

Watched it tonight... not for the faint of heart, but very well done indeed.

Checkin' the DVD's whereabouts. Still with Cyrus Cassidy? Next in line is Irish Tom, then me.

Just thought I'd touch base to see if it's in transit. Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

Where might it be today??????

Mailed out a few days ago.

Thanks for the update. I like to keep tabs. Here's one reason.

I sent my VFW dues in last November. In February I was informed that I couldno longer serve as an elected officer of my post due to my failure to pay dues. My check had never cleared so I sent in payment again. This time by CC via the website. They sent me a new membership card a few weeks later. Last week I got a letter from VFW hq saying that in early April they received a batch of 1800 pieces of mail from the Post Office, dating back to last October. My check was in that batch along with many others. They received no reason as to thedelay. The investigation supposedly continues. :rolleyes:

1800 pieces. Bet the mailman got a sore back that day.

I received it in the mail today. I will watch it this weekend and get it sent off to Cleburne on Monday. A big thank you to Utah Bob, this was a great idea.

Irish Tom.

Cleburne:

Put them in the mail this morning, should get them in a couple days. Hope you enjoy them as much as I did.

If any of you ever get to the Kansas City area, the National WW I Museum and Memorial is a must see. Plan on spending 4 to 6 hours there, but it is worth every minute. Don't forget to take the elevator to the top of the Tower, for a spectacular view of the city below. Thanks again to Utah Bob.

Irish Tom.

Cleburne:

Put them in the mail this morning, should get them in a couple days. Hope you enjoy them as much as I did.

If any of you ever get to the Kansas City area, the National WW I Museum and Memorial is a must see. Plan on spending 4 to 6 hours there, but it is worth every minute. Don't forget to take the elevator to the top of the Tower, for a spectacular view of the city below. Thanks again to Utah Bob.

Irish Tom.

Thanks Tom, received it in today's mail. Lots going on this weekend with family and work, but will try to watch it and send it on to Woodbury Bill sometime Monday. Will confirm once it's on its way.

Regards,

Cleburne

I was able to watch the first disc this afternoon and hope to view the second later tonight ... after taking wifey out to supper for her birthday. Will let everyone know once the DVD set is on its way to Woodbury Bill.

Bob, thanks for your generosity, this is a great documentary. I plan on getting a copy for #1 son, a history aficionado, who gave me a couple books on WWI for Christmas. I know he'll love having it for his own viewing and sharing.

Regards to all,

Cleburne

Just dropped the set off at our local post office. It's now headed to Woodbury Bill's camp.

Very well done documentary. Again, thanks to Utah Bob for his generosity, it's much appreciated.

Regards,

Cleburne

Just checking ....

Woodbury Bill,

Have you received the DVD set yet? I have its tracking number if needed.

Regards,

Cleburne

Disregard. I just checked the USPS site and it shows delivered successfully 6 May.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a side note about the video. Recalling the home front in WW II and growing up during the war, the reaction and concerns of the families on the home front and conditions of rationing and everybody pitching in to help the war effort.

Seeing the video brought all that back to my memory. Just about every family had someone in harm's way, or headed toward it. I guess you really had to have been there to appreciate how dynamic this great country was and could be again.

Charlie, going to war was not a popular sentiment for Americans in 1917. Keep in mind that Wilson called for a volunteer force of 1,000,000 men, only about 75,000 answered the call. Over a quarter million men avoided the draft or even flat out refused service. Elements of the government considered the situation and passed the Sedition Act of 1918. WW1 was not as popular with the American public as WW1 Part Deux.

Completed viewing over the last few days. Very well done DVD that holds your attention from start to finish.

In the mail today to last on the list, Clay Mosby.

Thanks Bob for sharing.

TB

Looking forward to watching it.

UB, is there anyone on the list after me?

I'll check. I'm on the wrong computer right now.

Bob and Clay

If there is no one else on the list after Clay I would certainly like to see the disk set and then send it on to anywhere you indicate.

Scout

That sound okay to you Utah Bob?

Cowtown, if it's okay with UB, PM your snail mail address to me and i can get it off to you next week.

Keep it moving!

Just finished a marathon watch of both discs.

Oh Lord! Seeing the pictures, hearing their voices, and seeing the expressions of courage, the haunted eyes, and the look of loss was at times hard to bear. Their courage and sacrifice in face of such horror is very, very humbling.

Cowtown Scout as soon as you PM me with your address I'll get it in the mail to you.

Thank You UB for your generosity in making this available for us.

Just finished a marathon watch of both discs.

Oh Lord! Seeing the pictures, hearing their voices, and seeing the expressions of courage, the haunted eyes, and the look of loss was at times hard to bear. Their courage and sacrifice in face of such horror is very, very humbling.

Cowtown Scout as soon as you PM me with your address I'll get it in the mail to you.

Thank You UB for your generosity in making this available for us.

PM sent with mailing address.

Archived