SASS Wire Forum

Another memorial in Washington

Howdy,

How about a monument to 16 trillion dollars of debt?

$16,000,000,000,000?

They could put the faces of each President and congressperson

who voted to do it.

Like on the trophy for the Indy 500 winners....?

Best

CR

If ever near Kansas City, Mo. see the National WW I museum. The trip up the Liberty Memorial is an expirence.

Liberty_Memorial

Howdy,

How about a monument to 16 trillion dollars of debt?

$16,000,000,000,000?

They could put the faces of each President and congressperson

who voted to do it.

Like on the trophy for the Indy 500 winners....?

Best

CR

Because monuments are meant to HONOR people that's why.

There is no national monument to WW I in Washington DC. Plans are underway to have completed for the centennial of the armistice in November 2018. It will go in Pershing Park which already has a statue the General.

We were real late on the WWII Memorial as well. Didn't have one in DC until 2004.

Kinda shameful. :(

It's a little late to be honoring the WWI veterans. I don't think any of them are still alive. It would have been nice to do about 80 years ago. How about we focus on the ones who are still alive first and fix the VA.

It's a little late to be honoring the WWI veterans. I don't think any of them are still alive. I would have been nice to do about 80 years ago. How about we focus on the ones who are still alive first and fix the VA.

Frank Buckles, the last vet, died in 2008.The Memorial is one thing, the DVA is quite another. I don't believe building a WWI memorial will cause a loss of focus on fixing the mess.

And as I understand it, the memorial is being funded by private donations as was the Vietnam Memorial (which also does not honor living vets, but those who gave their all)

Just an aside note, to show how these things can affect us.

As a lad, I attended Boy's State in Illinois, sponsored by the

American Legion. My Dad was a member and his post sent

me to spend a week with other young boys to learn about

our government and how if functioned. Great bunch of folks,

those American legion folks. But I digress.

As part of the curriculum, we boys were loaded on the bus and

hauled into Springfield to visit the State Capitol. On the grounds,

there was a statue of a Civil War soldier. Something about that

statue move me and sparked me to learn more about that great

conflict.

A similar thing happened in Lexington, Massachusetts at the Minuteman

Statue. Maybe I just connect with stautes, but what they represent stirs

something within me to make me realize that there are some things greater

than little ole BMC.

As Bob mentioned, the price will be carried by the citizens, as well it should be.

I do wish the folks in DC could get a handle on spending though. JMO

There is a WWI memorial in Washington, DC. It honors the DC residents who gave their lives in the war. Here it is: http://www.nps.gov/nama/planyourvisit/dc-war-memorial.htm

I led bike rides for many years for the Potomac Peddlers bicycle club on Memorial Day and Veteran's Day visiting memorials to each of our wars and listed the number of casualties' for each. Several of these memorials are in somewhat obscure locations. The DC WWI memorial is on the National Mall near the Lincoln Memorial. The hardest one to find is for the Spanish American War. It is on the Avenue of Americas entrance to the Arlington Cemetery. Entitled "The Hiker", it's a solder in a floppy hat, sleeves rolled up, toting a 30-40 Krag in a ready position and looking quite serious. Another odd one is the main statue in the middle of Lafayette Square across the street from the White House is of Andrew Jackson. Lafayette is on the SE corner of the Square; go figure?

There is a WWI memorial in Washington, DC. It honors the DC residents who gave their lives in the war. Here it is: http://www.nps.gov/nama/planyourvisit/dc-war-memorial.htm

I led bike rides for many years for the Potomac Peddlers bicycle club on Memorial Day and Veteran's Day visiting memorials to each of our wars and listed the number of casualties' for each. Several of these memorials are in somewhat obscure locations. The DC WWI memorial is on the National Mall near the Lincoln Memorial. The hardest one to find is for the Spanish American War. It is on the Avenue of Americas entrance to the Arlington Cemetery. Entitled "The Hiker", it's a solder in a floppy hat, sleeves rolled up, toting a 30-40 Krag in a ready position and looking quite serious. Another odd one is the main statue in the middle of Lafayette Square across the street from the White House is of Andrew Jackson. Lafayette is on the SE corner of the Square; go figure?

Yes. But it honors only the DC residents. It is not a National Memorial.

Archived