SASS Wire Forum

OT: Something new to go with my coin collection

Cyrus Cassidy #45437

Beautiful! Makes you wonder about the history behind it, who printed it, whose hands touched it, etc.

Is it encased in some sort of acrylic?

Yes, PCGS is a company that certifies coins and paper currency as being genuine, and they have experts give a professional opinion on the item's grade (degree of wear). After being certified and graded, they encase coins and paper currency in a museum grade holder which is made of materials designed not to cause environmental harm to the item. A certificate could be passed around and sold with counterfeit coins / bills, but when the item is encased, fraud is a challenge.

There are a LOT of companies who perform this service, but only 4 of them are respected. PCGS is one of the top two, the other being NGC; both are tied for first in the eyes of most collectors. The important thing about the 4 respected companies, however, is they do NOT sell coins or bills. They only sell their expert service, so there is no incentive to "overgrade" items to sell them at higher prices. In addition, of the two most highly respected companies, they require 30 years of professional experience to be hired as an expert. The other companies can boast no such standards, and collectors scoff at them, justifiably.

As to who printed it, the printer's name is actually hand signed on the obverse, near the bottom. In the pictures it looks like a faint smudge and I cannot read it, but once I have the item in hand I will explore further. His name is also printed on the reverse, below "Philadelphia." The note specifies it was printed in Philadelphia, and all the printers are known, so I should be able to find out more about it.

Finally, I have ancestors who lived in Philadelphia at this time, so the thought of it having passed through their hands 10 generations ago is pretty cool.

Bit hard to read. That a SIX DOLLAR BILL?

Yes. The denominations were very odd back then. Some of them were for "two shillings and six pence" (cents and the base 100 system were not created until later). They go all the way up to $80.

I've seen currency of this style and vintage signed by Ben Franklin...now wouldn't that be a kick.

LL

Yes, he was a printer and printed some of the Continental currency, as well as the Pennsylvania state currency at the time. However, I'm sure that if Franklin had signed this, the seller would have advertised that heavily in the auction and it would have gone for a significant premium.

$6 would have been a lot of money. When was the $ symbol invented? I understand it was originally a U overstruck on S.

I don't know when the symbol was invented. That's an interesting question.

I'm not a Continental currency expert. I admit this acquisition is outside my area of expertise (hence why I bought a certified note!). But of the ones I've seen, none of them contained the $ sign. They all spell out the word "dollar" or "dollars."

I have purchased a book on the subject, but it is being sent to my house and I am presently still in the middle east. Maybe I'll have an answer for you this summer!

The "U" over "S" theory of the $ sign came from Ann Rand's Atlas Shrugged novel of 1957. As far as I ever knew, most theories come from the Spanish "Peso de ocho reales" (piece of eight) abbreviated at PS. Some think it is from the mint in Bolivia or the symbol on the back of the piece of eight pillars.

Archived