SASS Wire Forum

Which is right and which is left?

Father Kit Cool Gun Garth

I shoot duelist with Smoke Wagons so it doesn't matter but I do shoot my first gun from my cross draw and it has a slightly lighter trigger than the other one. On my pair of Colts my 4 3/4" is drawn first from a cross draw and the other on my strong side holster is a 5 1/2".

I just load and shoot. Never put any thought into right or left? Miss Behavin' has a right and left pistol, why.....???....I don't know...????

Regards,

Ringer

Lady T made me a custom set of grips for my Colts, she said the knots go on the outside so they look really good. I also have learned I have slightly different hammer spurs and if I get them backwards I tend to slip hammer my left hand if it is not my left gun. Only takes me once but that once can cost a lot.

I once shot borrowed Blackhawks, that had slightly different trigger pulls. I always shot the lighter trigger pull first. If I shot the heavy trigger first, then I would tend to get over heavy on the light trigger and occasionally lose a shot before I was ready.

Normally, I just holster my guns without a thought of which is which. All mine shoot to point of aim and triggers are all very close to the same. In my case there is no advantage to always holster the same way. Normally I shoot the crossdraw, or the LH strong side first, depending on which rig I'm using. However some scenario's have advantage shooting the RH strong side pistol first. So in that case you reverse on which pistol you shoot first.

I think there is advantage to not having to worry about which gun is where.

RBK

I have right and left guns. It started because originally my guns were a Ruger OMV and an El Patron. I'm ambidextrous, but the right hand is slightly stronger because we live in a right handed world, so I put the heavier gun on the right side. Then I switched the OMV for a NMV and it stayed the same for the same reason. Then my wife started shooting and I gave her the ruger and got us both 'matching' pistols. Problem was, my 'matching' pistol was an El Patron competition, which had a hammer more like the ruger's. So I kept the old pistol on the left side because I figured my thumbs were used to the hammer heights. I'm trying to get a pair of matching hammers for the guns now, and I'm actually kind of worried about how I'm going to easily tell the difference once that's done. Because now, because of momentum, it's important to me that I keep them straight.

I have a left and right both are identical except for the direction of the engraving of my Alias on the backstrap. The reason I do it, if I start having an issue with a gun during a shoot I know exactly which one it is when I get home.

Which ever one comes out of the case first gets put in my left holster and the second one goes into the right. Unless I put it first in to right holster ....

Maybe that's why I miss some times, holding a Right-Handed gun in my left hand .....

My Open Tops have their names engraved in the backstraps

Liberty, starts w/ an L, so she goes on the Left and Texas is always on the Right !

Archived