SASS Wire Forum

So whats the story on the new 97's?

Hurricane Deck 100366

I seem to be seeing quite a number of them for sale in the classifieds both on the wire and on other forums.

So whats the deal? Why is everyone selling them off if they're supposed to be the 'latest and greatest' model 97? I'm sure interested in putting one in the gun cart, but I'd like to know why so many fine folks are selling the "new" 97's off so quickly.

Anyone care to share their story? If you don't want to do it publicly, please PM me.

HD,

I have 3 of the new CB97's. None are for sale.

The ONLY ones I'm familiar with that are being sold are from dealers.

I've only been using 2 of mine and the 3rd is still wrapped up.

Of the 2 I been using, they are running good.

..........Widder

I have not bought a new one, have an early red army one and a handful of winchester 97s. Replacement parts for old win 97s is getting scarce. All our cowboy guns get used a lot more in comps than was imagined when they were engineered, so they wear out, and you cannot always finds replacement parts at Numrich etc. Getting a new mfg makes sense. Wish they were not metric so all the parts were interchangeable. Maybe with the severe recession they will come to their senses on that.

Anyway, I want one.

I ordered a different unrelated gun that was shipped to my FFL guy I always deal with for transfers. By chance we were talking cowboy guns and he had an IAC 97 coming in and he sold it to me although it hasn't arrived yet. It was a really really really good price so I couldn't pass it up. He called it an IAC Hawk 97 and it is definitely the same as the IAC 97's Ive seen on here and elsewhere, but its not called a CB97. As far as i can tell IAC only sells one so I'm assuming it's the same. I'm hoping I won't regret it but it was $160.00 cheaper than others.

I ordered a different unrelated gun that was shipped to my FFL guy I always deal with for transfers. By chance we were talking cowboy guns and he had an IAC 97 coming in and he sold it to me although it hasn't arrived yet. It was a really really really good price so I couldn't pass it up. He called it an IAC Hawk 97 and it is definitely the same as the IAC 97's Ive seen on here and elsewhere, but its not called a CB97. As far as i can tell IAC only sells one so I'm assuming it's the same. I'm hoping I won't regret it but it was $160.00 cheaper than others.

Are you talking about the black pump with out the exposed hammer? They are a copy of the 870 iac calls them the hawk

+1 on what Russ T. Stiles said. The "Hawk" model is the Chinese clone of the Remington 870 and is not SASS legal. They are made with polymer black stocks. They come in 5 different models. It is not the same as the IAC 97's or the CB97's and if your dealer told you they were, he was mistaken. The msrp on the Hawk model 982 is $285.00 as listed on the IAC web site. :(

I have two of the IAC model 97s. One made in 2005 and a brand new one from coyote cap. I love them both! For what we use them for and as hard as we use them, for the money you cant beat em!

Not according to their WEBSITE

I'm refer'n to item # 6 at the bottom of the page, the '97 cowboy...... ;)

Some sites refer to it as the 'Hawk 97' and some don't. Kinda confusing, to say the least.

Respectfully,

OLG

Not according to their WEBSITE

PWB: your link points to the model 982; This one http://www.iacshotguns.com/97w.html points to the '97.

RHR (post #7): this gun has a variety of names, mostly from a marketing point-of-view. At the link above, the importer doesn't call it a Hawk, but at least two internet retailers call it the Hawk97 just like your dealer told you. I bought one online for roughly the same deal that you got. The same gun, when referred to as a CB97, usually comes from Coyote Cap or one of his group of retailers. None of them have the word Hawk or the term CB97 on the sleeve of the box or on the gun. All of them have M97 on the barrel and a serial number starting with CB....

PWB: your link points to the model 982; This one http://www.iacshotguns.com/97w.html points to the '97.

If you go to the bottom of the linked page in my post...as OLG notes, the 1897 COWBOY Model is on the same page, with a link to your reference.

There is no verbiage referring to the COWBOY Model as a "HAWK" other than the header on the link I provided...the hammerless models are all ref'd to as "HAWKS".

IMO...that "misreading" of the mfg webpage is the source of the dealer's misinformation in referring to the hammered '97 COWBOYs as HAWKS.

;)

RHR (post #7): this gun has a variety of names, mostly from a marketing point-of-view. At the link above, the importer doesn't call it a Hawk, but at least two internet retailers call it the Hawk97 just like your dealer told you. I bought one online for roughly the same deal that you got. The same gun, when referred to as a CB97, usually comes from Coyote Cap or one of his group of retailers. None of them have the word Hawk or the term CB97 on the sleeve of the box or on the gun. All of them have M97 on the barrel and a serial number starting with CB....

I seem to be seeing quite a number of them for sale in the classifieds both on the wire and on other forums.

So whats the deal? Why is everyone selling them off if they're supposed to be the 'latest and greatest' model 97? I'm sure interested in putting one in the gun cart, but I'd like to know why so many fine folks are selling the "new" 97's off so quickly.

Anyone care to share their story? If you don't want to do it publicly, please PM me.

Howdy HD

I have one of the first off the line CB0015.

I can run it faster than the any of the 3 Winchesters that I own.

I have never yet had a port bobble, for which I was getting famous, with the CB97.

Not selling mine anytime soon, although I have thought of thinning the Winnie herd. :rolleyes:

Having you seen these on the Wire Classifieds?

I wonder if they have been through the Coyote or Outlaw Gambler work up.

Waimea

:FlagAm:

This is not where it was ordered from, but it was an example I googled that I can point out what I mean by the name, but its definitely the 97. I'm not sure where my dealer got it from, but he said it is definitely this gun and showed me this same pic. He ordered it for himself because he is interested in starting CAS (because of me ordering so many cowboy guns through him haha), but when we got to talking about it he offered it to me when it comes in.

http://www.ohioguns.us/product.iac-hawk97-hammered-pump-action-shotgun-12-gauge-20-barrel-5-rounds-275-chamber-fixed-cylinder-walnut-stock-blued-97

A suggestion when buying from one of these sites, ask for the complete serial number of the gun you are looking to purchase. If it does not have the first two digets stamped CBxxxxxx it is not a new IAC Cowboy 97.

Hurricane, the reason you are seeing so many for sale on the different locations is due to IAC releasing a second run of the guns to any distributor or dealer that wants to buy them. They appear on Gunbroker, GunsAmerica, and a few other sites. I don't think it is the cowboys or girls that are selling them, unless they got a bad one. If you find my post about latest update on the CB97's you will see what was needed to be checked and updated.

• 3 weeks later...

My IAC "Hawk 97" came in a little over a week ago but I wasnt able to make the time to pick it up until today. It is definitely a Cowboy 97 and the serial number starts with a CB.

I have CB-00104 Runs great..... Doesn't throw the hulls 10 feet but it runs solid and smooth, I'm keeping mine. It has Coyote Cap 3434 engraved in gold on the bolt.

• 3 weeks later...

I purchased two CB97 shotguns from Outlaw Gambler in Spring and Summer 2015, one with serial number in the 30's and one in the 300's, both of them with Coyote Cap etched on bolt. They both have shortened stocks -- one stock I provided from a previous shot gun and one Outlaw Gambler shaped and installed to my specs, both of them with recoil pads.

Both of them are set up for Wild Bunch and both hold 6 and feed 6 without issues.

When I work them smoothly, these CB97s work smoothly, feed and eject without issues. When I am sloppy, they don't appreciate it and let me know...just like any other cowboy gun I've had. I've had the good luck to win several speed shotgun side matches with them, including State and Regional, and I use them regularly for Wild Bunch matches, local matches and Big Matches.

I've never had any of the issues reported on the Sass Wire, but I'm confident that if I did, Outlaw Gambler would either advise me on it, or make good on the products he sells.

The two CB97s that I own are essentially interchangeable as I cannot detect any differences at this time with one over the other and I work them hard. They are such a vast improvement over previous 1897 originals or replicas that I've owned and had "slicked up." I would never assume that anything "out of the box" would be adequate for our type of shooting.

I only hope that other cowboy shooters have the same experience that I have and enjoy these fire arms as much as I do.

Mine is #23 and I've had problems, FTE and double feed with anything in the mag. Cap told me it would be an easy fix so I sent it to him. Now this was before his hospital stay but I'm sure he will get it fixed when he gets better. Now on a side note, I didn't notice Cap's name on the bolt.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived