SASS Wire Forum

WTB H&R Target Rifle in .38-55

Spartan Johnny

You do know these have been out of production for some time now. They do pop up occasionally tho, and prices have risen as well.

I am very interested in a H&R Buffalo Classic or Target rifle in .38-55. Their model number is CR3855.

My daughter wants to shoot long range.

Thanks,

Spartan Johnny

Patience. I bought two this past summer, two grandsons.

One was a Harrington & Richardson target Model, 38-55. The other is a Wesson & Harrington, 38-55. They are out there, but you have to keep looking and keep an eye on the price. Some are way over priced.

I found them both on GunBroker.

Lone Rider

What do you consider the proper price for these? What kind of sights did they have for your proper price? Did the older gun have the chamber opened up to match the bore size? Were they the ejector model or the extractor model?

Thanks for your time,

Marlin

If you find one in .45-70 snap it up. I can make loads for that that your daughter would shoot real well.

We're able to download them so they don't kick like a mule (I learned the hard way!). And, uh, Slim... I do the reloading now! ;)

Johnny,

About 6 or 7 years ago I bought one of the H&R Target rifles in 38-55. I was surprised to find that the barrel slugged .380" but the chamber was too small to load a .380" lead bullet in a Winchester case. The commonly available jacket bullets for the 38-55 are .375" and these would load just fine. After research on the web I found the oversize bore was a common problem with this particular model rifle. The solution is to ream the chamber large enough to accept a case with a .380" bullet. Then this brought up another problem, the RCBS dies I bought were made for .375" bullets. The 38-55 case is slightly tapered and will have to be run up in the sizer die only about half way to properly accept and tension the .380" bullet. If the cases are run up in the sizer die all the way they will be too small for the .380" bullet and will appear to be bulged when the bullet is seated. It is a nice rifle and I enjoyed mine while I had it, but it will require some gunsmithing to make it shoot lead bullets. If you can find one I would shoot it before I buy.

Hope this helps,

Crusty Steve

Crusty: what you needed was the proper case expansion/flaring tool. I made my own for my Dillon after reaming out the chamber to match the bore. I have done the same for 9mm and 45 colt, as most case expanders are assuming you will use jacketed, and I mostly cast my own, and like to run a few thou larger.

I have a H&R in 38-55 the bore is 380, I find it's not the chamber but the brass I use Starline the long case with a 255 gr. 380 dim Bearcreek bullet, chambers fine and drop out after firing like a shotshell. The Winchester brass is to thick walled to work. I use this same load in my Marlin in 38-55. also a 380 bore.

Hope this helps.

Rob

I have a H&R in 38-55 the bore is 380, I find it's not the chamber but the brass I use Starline the long case with a 255 gr. 380 dim Bearcreek bullet, chambers fine and drop out after firing like a shotshell. The Winchester brass is to thick walled to work. I use this same load in my Marlin in 38-55. also a 380 bore.

Hope this helps.

Rob

After hearing the issues with the .38-55 chamber/barrel dimensions, I cast a Lee 250 gr. slug and used Starline brass with the same result. No issue.

I have found Winchester to have the thinnest brass in most calibers. Worked OK in my original 38-55, but cutting the chamber to the proper dimensions made things much easier. Only takes a couple of minutes with a reamer.

• 2 weeks later...

I have one in 38-55 that I don't think has ever been shot, and has just been a safe queen at my place. I bought it for competition myself, but never got around to it.
It has a ghost ring peep sight that gives a great view of the target as well.
I can also include 100 rounds of 30-30 that can easily be fire formed.
$450.00 + shipping.
I just took some pictures I can send over.

Ben Lucky, 32480L

Archived