SASS Wire Forum

Trail Boss 45 Colt Loading

Major Art Tillery

I know load data is not permitted on the forum, so please just send me a message. I have a friend that is shooting 45 Colt loads duliest style and is wanting to tame the recoil a bit. Here is what he has New Vaquero with 5 1/2 Barrels... Trail Boss powder. He wants to stick with a Trail Boss Load... And 45 colt brass (no Cowboy special brass). What is the best weight bullet? 185, 200, 250?...ect. Thanks for any advice you can pass on to him.

Major

In my experience, rule of thumb, all those good hedge phrases...

Reducing bullet weight will reduce recoil more effectively than reducing powder charge. So go with the lightest bullet.

Enjoyed meeting you at Prince of the Pistoleers, Major. Hope we can posse up together real soon!

Rugers shoot thier best with the heavier bullets.

200gn bullet would be a good place to start. Start at the midway point in the powder load range.

With TB powder, use a FIRM roll crimp.

I would use a Lee FCD for this-

OLG

Another PM inbound, Major.

In my experience, rule of thumb, all those good hedge phrases...

Reducing bullet weight will reduce recoil more effectively than reducing powder charge. So go with the lightest bullet.

Enjoyed meeting you at Prince of the Pistoleers, Major. Hope we can posse up together real soon!

It was great meeting you too J-Bar... Hope to catch up with you on down the road sometime. You take care PARD!

Thanks to everyone that sent me replies to this question... I have passed them on to my shooting PARD. Hopefully he comes up with something that helps him to continue shooting duelist. He sure appreciates the advice... You just gotta love the people in this sport, and the help the provide.

Major

Because trail boss loads are based on case volume, your friend could try seating the bullet deeper into the case. They probably wouldn't work in his rifle but will work in his pistols.

Here are the trail boss load workup procedures for ANY cartridge. www.imrpowder.com/PDF/Trail-Boss-data.pdf

By seating the bullet much deeper into the case, the case volume is significantly reduced so the min and max loads for any given bullet will be less. All that is required is to find the maximum seating depth that is still SASS legal. determine the min / max loads using the above procedure. Chronograph the loads to ensure they meet minimum power factor.

I know load data is not permitted on the forum, so please just send me a message. I have a friend that is shooting 45 Colt loads duliest style and is wanting to tame the recoil a bit. Here is what he has New Vaquero with 5 1/2 Barrels... Trail Boss powder. He wants to stick with a Trail Boss Load... And 45 colt brass (no Cowboy special brass). What is the best weight bullet? 185, 200, 250?...ect. Thanks for any advice you can pass on to him.

Major

One of the things to consider is that lighter bullets will hit lower than heavier bullets, and so filing the front sight becomes necessary if you want to be able to do precision shots.

I know that a lot of folks think that int his game you only have to hold one minute of pie-plate, and so they don't care. Some larger matches do hold special stages or side matches

where hitting a small target, even at 5 yds, requires aiming carefully. Make sure this is considered before making any final decisions or adjusting the gun, as removing metal tends

to be a one way alteration.

Having loaded .45 Colt since 1977, I've tried a few loads and powders, heavy and light. I've settled on Trail Boss or Tite Group for CAS.

I load a 250 gr LRNFP, tightly crimped on the groove, and with minimum load of TB, slightly more than minimum of Tite Group.

The accuracy is quite good, recoil is negligible, and frankly if it was any less it would be a problem shooting! You do need a bit of recoil, or you'll start to worry about squibs a lot more than usual!

Good luck,

Shadow Catcher

Trail%252520Boss%25252045%252520Colt.jpg

Archived