SASS Wire Forum

Saw Off Stoeger

Aunt Jen

My SxS Stoeger is a good SASS shotgun, but it's got the long barrels.

I think it's perfectly appropriate to cut 'em down to 20" or so. I thought I'd check.

And with that, if I do, will the barrels hold together? I mean, is the bonding that holds gem together at the ends? Or all the way up the barrels?

Howdy,

Really were you planning to put it in a vice and hack the barrels off?

Drop it off and have a gun shop take care of it.

Best

CR

OR... pick up a "coach gun" in the same basic model to have the best of BOTH worlds. I know I love havin' the choice for those stages where the shotgun targets are a little farther away, or for flying targets that I can take a better look at with the longer barrels.

If I remember right, the barrel junction is only at the end of the barrels on a Stoeger. this piece would need to be moved onces the barrels are shortened. This is one of the ways Stoeger saves money. The rid hides the barrel to barrel fit on top and bottom, but the are only joined at the end.

This requires a gunsmith to complete, re-solder, re-fit the ribs and attach, then strip and re-blue. It may be less expensive to buy another stoeger with the right barrels. Besides... excuse to buy another gun, right?

If I remember right, the barrel junction is only at the end of the barrels on a Stoeger. this piece would need to be moved onces the barrels are shortened. This is one of the ways Stoeger saves money. The rid hides the barrel to barrel fit on top and bottom, but the are only joined at the end.

This requires a gunsmith to complete, re-solder, re-fit the ribs and attach, then strip and re-blue. It may be less expensive to buy another stoeger with the right barrels. Besides... excuse to buy another gun, right?

I have cut 2 and did not have to do all that. JB weld in the end to fill the hole between barrels and a new bead. Did one with a hacksaw and a good file. One with a bandsaw and a mill. Hardest part was drilling and tapping for the new bead.

There have been many SxS guns chopped to about 20". There have been many where the gap at the muzzle has been filled with super-low temp soft solder holding the original end plug in place, and with JB Weld or other epoxy. But, do it wrong and you take a chance with the upper or lower rib breaking the solder joints and popping loose. Those ribs are soldered the entire length of the barrels with soft lead/tin solder, that melts about 600 F.

Best to have an experienced shotgun smith do the shortening than to make this a DIY job.

Johnny Meadows could probably do it for you, or Goatneck Clem. Better fellers would be hard to find.

Good luck, GJ

I have cut 2 and did not have to do all that. JB weld in the end to fill the hole between barrels and a new bead. Did one with a hacksaw and a good file. One with a bandsaw and a mill. Hardest part was drilling and tapping for the new bead.

Understood. It can be done with JB weld, epoxy, modeling clay - whatever. but knowing Jen and the fact the she owns and appreciate fine personal aricraft, I can assume she wasn'ts her shotgun modified by a competent smith - that smith will move the barrel junction or fashion a new one, solder it in place and leave finely modified firearm she can shoot for years.

The filler at the muzzle has nothing to do with the how the rids are attached. Both the upper and lower ribs are soldered full length. The only thing to be concerned with cutting a Stoeger down is the lower rib is vented so the cut should be made between the vents. The filler just makes for a neat job.

Howdy,

Having another tool in your kit just might be a nice thing.

A long barrel shotgun could be a nice thing to have.

If you have the bucks, such a backup might have its use.

Best

CR

Ah Phooey. As usual, Nate is correct. That little doodad in the end of the barrel is cosmetic. It does provide some support, but primarily cosmetic.

On the other hand, I never met a barrel too short so long as it was legal. Be me, I'd cut it down to 18 1/4 and put screw in chokes in it. With the choke, best of both worlds.

Coffinmaker

PS: It is still reason to succumb to the primordial desire for another shotgun :)

Archived