SASS Wire Forum

Chronicle artical on brass shotshells

So I was reading this article and the author talks about using 51 gr of APP. So far so good. A sentence later and he says he has used a square load of 1 ounce of shot and 1 ounce of APP. I know that is not what he meant, but I hope nobody ever tries using 1 ounce of any powder in a shotgun shell, unless it is a 4 bore or something like that.

I'm sure what he meant to say was that he used the same dipper.

I'm not in the reloading room, but my guess is that a dipper that measures out 1 ounce of shot also measures out 51 grains of APP.

--Dawg

I'm sure what he meant to say was that he used the same dipper.

I'm not in the reloading room, but my guess is that a dipper that measures out 1 ounce of shot also measures out 51 grains of APP.

--Dawg

+1 Exactly what was meant, first time writing an article for the chronicle... Tried to do the best I could.

I did a lot of research before I started loading Brass shells with Smokeless.

Hey pard can you email me some info loading them with smokeless? Would be something i would like to learn. majorarttillery@gmail.com

The best information I found is on the 16ga.com forum.

I taught another Pard to load Smokeless, "Idaho Sage Rider" He loads 20's, 16's & 12's. He is more knowledgeable on the subject than I now. I think he uses Green dot for 12's. I use Unique for 12's & 16. Then 296 for 410 ga.

Sage Rider lives in Idaho and Winter's here in Arizona. In the Winter shooting season we shoot together and compare notes.

With loading Smokeless in all brass shells, tight nitro cards is a must. And sizing the base of the shell after every use is a very important. We use a MEC Super sizer Model SS77 for this operation, and gauge specific.

BTW; the best shells for smokeless are RMC Rocky Mountain Cartridge Co., they are CNC one piece brass. But very Pricey, $5.00 each. I have 10 16's I use for Hunting loads.

So I was reading this article and the author talks about using 51 gr of APP. So far so good. A sentence later and he says he has used a square load of 1 ounce of shot and 1 ounce of APP. I know that is not what he meant, but I hope nobody ever tries using 1 ounce of any powder in a shotgun shell, unless it is a 4 bore or something like that.

For those not conversant with the "Apothecary's" measurement system, 1 Oz. = 16 (SIXTEEN!!! :o:o ) drams. A medium heavy load is three drams.

Sure hope no one tries to load a "one ounce" by weight load because of me... Hope no one is that dumb. That would not be good. Then again they are out there that is why we have "caution hot" on a coffee cup and many other dumb warning labels.

Art:

An ounce of powder is 437 grains.

I think that even the dumbest among us wouldn't do that.

It would probably fill the case with no room for wads or shot.

--Dawg

Art:

An ounce of powder is 437 grains.

I think that even the dumbest among us wouldn't do that.

It would probably fill the case with no room for wads or shot.

--Dawg

That is what I kinda figured Dawg, would be a dang bunch of powder!

Major, since the chronicle is digital you can probably get it fixed on the website. You can't do anything about any copies someone may have already downloaded, but I would suggest you contact Skinny at SASSCHRON@sassnet.com and explain to him the problem and see if he can fix it. Load data is prohibited on the wire so this kind of problem can't happen.

Contacted Skinny, a few days ago, and told him about the issue that was causing some confusion in that article. I had him just remove that sentence on the "square load". Hope that helps eliminate any more confusion.

The term "Square Load" was common, referring to equal amounts of Blackpowder & Shot by Volume.

Dippers were marked in Ounces of Shot & Drams of Blackpowder.

Markings on the side of an original adjustable measure (dipper).

Keep in mind that it it is a measuring tool, NOT any sort of a load guide for any particular gun or ga.

" B.G.I. Co Pat. Nov. 23. '86"

"SHOT OZ.". "POWDER DRAMS"

1 2-1/2

1-1/8 2-3/4

1-1/4 3

1-3/8 3-1/4

1-1/2 3-1/2

1-5/8 3-3/4

1-3/4 4

1-7/8 4-1/4

2 4-1/2

2-1/8 4-3/4

2-1/4 5

The above markings are for the 11 slot adjustments on the measure.

Archived