SASS Wire Forum

Situational Awareness

Subdeacon Joe

Skydivers jump from plane as it crashes into Lake Taupo

Thirteen people have escaped without injury after a skydiving plane crashed into Lake Taupo today.

Police received reports of the crash about 12.15pm.

All those on board are now on shore and being checked out by ambulance staff, but police believed there were no injuries.

A St John ambulance spokesman said one person received some scratches from a blackberry bush, but all were assessed and allowed to leave the scene themselves.

Skydive Taupo has confirmed the plane that crashed was operated by the company.

Skydive Taupo chief executive Roy Clements said in a statement that one of its skydiving planes "encountered an engine problem shortly after take-off".

"All parachutes including the pilot exited the plane and landed safely."

Six crew and six passengers were on board, and evacuated the aircraft in tandem.

The pilot also exited the plane by parachute.

Standing on the ground with binoculars is better yet.

If you jump, the plane can't crash on your head and ruin your binoculars.

I've always considered a parachute an emergency life saving device. In this particular situation, it was deployed as intended.

But I've never understood jumping for fun. To me, it makes as much sense as crashing your car so you can experience the airbag deploying or intentionally getting caught in a rip current so you can experience being saved by the Coast Guard.

Isn't the pilot part of the crew?

13 people.

Six students, six crew. I read that, did the math, six plus six is twelve, so who's the thirteenth.

"The pilot also exited..." Ah.

I jumped once for fun... In the military,, got a DR for misuse of Government Property ..Never want to do it again but it was FUN!

Must not have been our military. :D

Archived