SASS Wire Forum

Everybody knows that

Sparky Nelson

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyway,

Yeah, I also am baffled. Farther away than what? And what do you mean by "1/8 the size"? The moon is a little more than 1/4 the diameter of Earth, but has only 1/81 the mass.

Yes, as far as 1/8 and farther away, I'll just say "I did not know that. And I still don't" )))

Since color is a visual thing (something does not smell red or taste yellow or feel purple or sound like brown), if it LOOKS blue, then it IS blue. Ain't it?

According to wikipedia's article on Kentucky bluegrass:

The name Kentucky Bluegrass derives from its flower heads, which are blue when the plant is allowed to grow to its natural height of two to three feet.

The grass itself is green.

Since color is a visual thing (something does not smell red or taste yellow or feel purple or sound like brown), if it LOOKS blue, then it IS blue. Ain't it?

You have kinda touched on a pet peeve of mine: I hate it when people describe something as being "red in color" or "round in shape" and the like. If you say it is red, I can infer that you are describing the color.

Peregrine Falcons dive at speeds reaching and even exceeding two hundred miles per hour to catch prey. In order to do this, virtually every part of the birds are specialized for this purpose, including a nostril shape that allows the birds to breathe without air being forced into the lungs at a rate which would burst them.

Guitarist Brian May of the band Queen has a PhD in astrophysics.

Yes he does. He also uses a sixpence coin instead of a standard guitar pick (plectrum if you're fancy).

Freddie Mercury had a four octave vocal range.

This thread contains some of the best information I have seen on the Wire in a very long time.

And one more thing, Greenland isn't.

Not yet. Give it time.

To verify that a corner is a right angle without using a square, you can use the Pythagorean Theorem. Measure off 3 units (inches, feet, whatever is appropriate) from the corner along one side and make a mark. Then measure off 4 units from the corner along the other side and make another mark. Measure the distance between the two marks and if the corner is square, it'll be 5 units.

Did you know God commanded Abraham to sacrifice Isaac when Isaac was but a lad of 12 years or less?

That's because if Isaac had been a teenager, Abraham might not have considered it a sacrifice. :P

(I know when I was a teenager, my dad wanted to kill me several times!)

Superfetation is the extremely rare phenomenon of a woman becoming pregnant, while already pregnant. There are only a handful of documented naturally-occuring cases.

This happened once in Beaumont TX while I was in college. This was in the days before ultra sounds and she was quite surprised to wake up to the news that she was 4 months pregnant.

Cats cannot taste sweetness.

Considering some of the things I've seen my cats put tongues to, I don't think they can taste anything.

The Venus Fly Trap has trigger hairs on the inner surfaces of its trap, three to a side. If something jostles two hairs, or one hair twice, within a few seconds the trap snaps shut.

I was told by an environmentalist , that if Greenland melted it would raise all the oceans by 162 feet. I will not print what I told him in response

Archived