SASS Wire Forum

What's the call

Wyatt

The TO cannot see the two sides of the shooter, it's why it's also the job of at least one of the spotters to look at the guns when drawn and reholstered to second the TO for safeties.

I hope Wyatt don't feel the same as Culpepper!! I insult Purdy Boy all the time!! :rolleyes::lol::lol:

And it ain't just new shooters that mess up. Just watch ME sometime when I'm havin' one of those days!!! :lol::o:lol::lol:

Here is the question. Can a shooter legally draw and reholster the left gun from a straight draw rig (not cross-draw) with his right hand? The presumption is that he does not break the 170 degree rule.

Several folks have correctly answered that a spotter can call a 170 violation. Is reholstering the left gun in the left holster with the right hand a violation at all? If so is it a violation worthy of a stage DQ?

I know accomplished duelists that do this somewhat regularly and I've done it....it's pretty neat to put the right gun away with the left hand as you reach for a long gun with your right hand....

If you looked and could not tell if he broke the 170 then it goes to the shooter as a no call. You must see the infraction to call it.

Here is the thread discussing the technique. The video by Deuce is no longer available however.

http://sassnet.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=218487&hl=%2Bstrong+%2Bside+%2Bweak+%2Bhand

Totally legal to/from a straight hang holster as long as done safely.

Might be a good idea to wear your holsters a little forward if you plan on doing this regularly to avoid having to reach too far and cause a WTC thread. ;)

Shooter normally shoots a cross draw rig.

Shooter is shooting traditional style with two strong side holsters on the opposite sides of his body(not in front)

With his RIGHT hand reaches across his body, palm out, he draws his LEFT pistol from his LEFT strong side holster. When finished returns it in pretty much the reverse order.

The TO was in good position but was blocked by the shooters body from seeing the draw. I, as one of the spotters, was on the shooters right side and could not clearly see the muzzle/barrel to see if it broke the 170.

................what's the call?

you clearly stated you did NOT see a violation

I really hope no body here is in the habit of jumping to conclusions. Its obvious you weren't there and are guessing what I did or did not see. If as you are implying I am prone to guessing I would have called a 170 violation and NO BODY would have questioned the call

This type of situation must be a common occurrence in your area if something like this doesn't give you pause

In retrospect the call should have been a SDQ for unsafe gun handling

I don't understand your issue.

IF you saw unsafe gun handling, why didn't you say that in the original post?

I've shot in Florida, the land-of-plenty when it comes to good great shooters and where the "cowboy way" is passed out in large doses. This is not a reflection of anything regarding CAS in Florida, but reminds me that it is not uncommon for spotters everywhere to "hang out" on only one side of the shooter. When this happens, it is not uncommon for spotters to miss edge hits and be unable to accurately determine safety issues.

From page 8 of RO1:

B. Have the responsibility to count shots and misses and to verify the targets were engaged in the correct order for the required number of shots. Spotters will assist the Timer Operator by watching for violations when the competitor retrieves staged firearms and draws revolvers since it is impossible for the Timer Operator to have an unobstructed view of both sides of the competitor’s body. Spotters are obligated to stop a shooter from attempting an unsafe action if the Timer Operator is not in position to see it or react quickly enough.
C. Should always be in position to see all the targets in the course of fire. At least one spotter should be positioned on either side of the competitor.

Archived