SASS Wire Forum

Remember the Alamo! She fell 178 years ago today.

Amen!

I did my clinicals in San Antone, been there quite a few times. The Alamo is smack dab in the middle of downtown of the 9th or 10th largest (S.A. vs Phoenix at the time) cities in the U.S. It's hard to envision the original compound or the epic battle which took place there so long ago. One can't really describe the feeling you get there. I guess it would be the same if one were to visit Iwo Jima, Normandy Beach, etc.

JHC

I did my clinicals in San Antone, been there quite a few times. The Alamo is smack dab in the middle of downtown of the 9th or 10th largest (S.A. vs Phoenix at the time) cities in the U.S. It's hard to envision the original compound or the epic battle which took place there so long ago. One can't really describe the feeling you get there. I guess it would be the same if one were to visit Iwo Jima, Normandy Beach, etc.

JHC

I've lived in San Antonio a couple of different times, courtesy of Uncle Sam. Been to the Alamo several times, and was awed by it. It is really bigger than I expected it to be, and it must have been quite the challenge for so few to defend. I was a little disappointed at the commercial aspect, though. While I as at AIT I bumped into a guy from the Texas National Guard from San Antonio, and one weekend he took us to the other missions in and around the city. They made it even easier to imagine what things must have been like.

http://www.nps.gov/saan/index.htm

• 2 weeks later...

Will be there in July. Many of my country men died there including David Crockett whos family came from Country Tyrone. I have had this desire from a kid after seeing the John Wayne Alamo movie.

When I was there in '68...I felt like there was to many buildings close to it...Has it opened up, I don't know...But would have liked to seen more open space around it...

Texas Lizard

Each and every time, I go there, I remove my hat and pray to my Creator and ask him to Bless those brave men and to bless Tejas !

EACH AND EVERY TIME ! :wub:

have always wanted to visit the place , im not dead yet and it is still in the US boundaries so i don't need my passport , so perhaps one day soon , thanks for all the great posts fun seeing the old movie clips and such ,

When I was there in '68...I felt like there was to many buildings close to it...Has it opened up, I don't know...But would have liked to seen more open space around it...

Texas Lizard

I was there in '03 and had the same thoughts.

:FlagAm: :FlagAm: First time in San Antonio for me was 1968 for Air Force basic training. After six weeks in the hottest summer on record to that point we got one Sunday afternoon to go downtown. The Hemisfair was going on and we could not afford to go to most of the attractions. After a couple of hours of wandering around I was leaning against a wall, sweating like mad in my 1505s and buzz haircut. Someone asked me what the problem was and I said "I'm tired hot and sweaty and can not find the Alamo!" He said you're leaning against it! I had come around the back and was leaning against the side. I was looking for John Wayne's Alamo not a small building in a little park area. The city of San Antonio, the Sate of Texas, and Daughters of the Republic of Texas (who originally saved the building from being lost) are currently in a big discussion of whether to extend the current footprint at the expense of merchants or just rework traffic flow. One thing nicer than 1968 is that all the opportunists who used to descend on new airmen to try to sell them useless momentos are now gone and the area while not bigger is a lot better kept than 46 years ago.

John Wayne's Alamo does exist. It is about 2 hours west of San Antonio in Brackettville but has been closed to public since 2010. :(

Archived