SASS Wire Forum

TiCN Coating

Griff

I'm thinking about getting some of my Dillon 550B parts TiCN treated to improve their sliding capabilities. The parts are:
a - the primer carrier & primer track bearing and,
b - the powder charge bars.

The primer carrier and the bearing plate on my old machine seem to be the worst, with a little wear on the bearing plate after many thousands of rounds.

What thinks you?

Griff,

If it won't cost you a lot of gold dust or you are very rich, I would say go for it. However, with Dillon's NO BS warranty, they will send you new parts to replace the broken ones. They may even repair your machine for a minimum sum or for no cost at all. Can't get any better than that. But it's all up to you. Although a little maintenance and cleaning may keep your machine for another billions of loadings. IMHO.

I'd have thought of using hard chrome - probably cheaper and might be tougher.

But, as long as Dillon is SO good about replacing parts that don't work well (and the 550 primer feed system is the weak knee of that design), I'd just ask for replacements every 10,000 or so rounds loaded. And, use lots of compressed air to keep that area clean of tumbling media and other dirt that comes out of the case at the depriming station.

Good luck, GJ

OK, I see that titanium carbonitride IS harder than hard chrome. If you can get it done at a reasonable price (usually a few small parts is something the big plating/hardening shops "won't mess with" at a reasonable price), it might be fun to try. Have a hard time imagining that it's cheaper than just getting FREE new parts from Dillon every year or two, though. Dillon probably sees it the same way, or they might just coat parts themselves.

Here's a pretty good description of what TiCN is.

http://www.brycoat.com/coating-services/pvd-coatings/ticn.html

Watch out for this warning that BryCoat publishes on their web site:

Used parts often have embedded contaminants in the surface. In some
cases these contaminants can create trouble creating a proper bond of
the coating. Please advise BryCoat if parts have been used and the
conditions.

Sounds like you would be best off with using only new parts from Dillon for coating. And, BryCoat recommends no black oxide on the surface of the parts to be coated, so you would have to strip or bead blast any blued parts.

Good luck, GJ

What thinks you?

Griff, me thinks that we all regularly change the oil in our vehicles but do near total lack of maintenance cleaning our reloading presses and dies! Mineral spirits cleaning with Q-Tips and shop swabs & then a shot of Eezox keeps mine running again for another thousand or so reloads :)

Thanks for your thoughts on this subject. And good'uns, too! The only part showing appreciable wear is the primer carrier bearing plate on the 26 year old machine. And only on the very back edge, (where the carrier is in the "p/u" position), it appears the return spring has a bit of down pressure.

I generally use dry graphite on these parts just keep any primer/powder fouling to a minimum; but use a light machine oil on the ram and pivot arms, etc.

Gunner, thanks for the warning about used parts and contaminants. The one part that does appear comtaminated is the large charge bar; it's loaded at least 100k BP 45 Colts!

I think I'll call Dillon in the AM and get their thoughts on the plating and any effect it might have on their warranty.

Griff I have a friend who has a Dillon 450? It was nasty. I advised him to send it to Dillon. About $100 later they rebuilt and updated the press, it looks like a new press.

TiCN is a coating that will hold up to cycling. Our manufacturing plant uses the coating on die shoes that stroke 20,000 times a day and are replaced on average after a million cycles. The coating does not flake or chip. It is expensive and most Platers use a batch process where the price per piece goes down a lot the more you have.

WELL... the answer is: DON'T DO IT!

I left home Sunday, telling the boy to wait, I'd just order a new primer carrier & bearing plate from Dillon. Which I did on Monday. WARRANtY!!!

But... since this was HIS idea, he figured he'd do it anyway. So, he disassebled all 6 powder bars (3 measures) and all 4 primer carriers, packaged 'em up and shipped 'em down to an outfit in Houston. To be done & returned by the time I got home Monday evening.

He called me today to let me know I wouldn't be able to load Tues or Wed. The parts are just heaps of slag! Apparently high tin content alloys won't withstand the 800ºF used in the process.

Oh, BTW, apparently this didn't exceed the limits of Dillon's "No BS Warranty! New parts will be shipped Monday.

How often does a post of ANY type end with a conclusion that nobody can contest? :)

There... fixed that for ya! :D

Archived