SASS Wire Forum

how fresh is fresh turkey?

Trigger Mike

A timely question!

Just this morning I was just asking the butcher at the local supermarket about turkeys... his claim is you get a fresher turkey buying frozen, as they are flash frozen right after killing... whereas a "fresh" bird may have been killed up to a month before but stored in cold storage just above freezing.

Kind of like vegetables - frozen are usually more "fresh" than you'll get in the produce department! ;)

Stores charge extra for fresh turkey but a chicken farmer friend told me all fowl is frozen right at death for shipment to the store. is that true?

I dunno, but Im gonna get some Bourbon Red poults in the spring.

One of the freshest and tenderized would have come from Pineldale Mall, if you were there (at the time).......

It really depends. I bought a Lavender turkey (heritage breed) on Wednesday that was killed on Sunday at the farm where it was raised.

As for price, Supermarkets often sell turkey below cost because they more than make up the loss on the rest of the items in the basket.

I'm the Head Meatcutter at my store. The fresh turkeys that come in are very cold and they are very cold. They are kept at a low temp and are close to freezing, but not quite. Also, with fresh and frozen prices getting closer, more people are buying fresh. We have also seen a large increase in ham sales the last 2 or 3 years at Thanksgiving. Also ducks. We sold 4 ducks yesterday. That is normally a Christmas sale.

Archived