SASS Wire Forum

hunting deer with shotgun

Trigger Mike

In Illinois - only shotguns are allowed. And - only slugs are allowed.

00 buck is prohibited.

That being said - a barrel that is rifled (Hastings is a good one) and the proper slug (Winchester - sabot) - 110 -120 yards is very doable (assuming a solid rest of some sort).

Let me know is you need more specific info about shooting slugs - I've been doing it for over 40 years.

- BB

Never seen a deer with a shotgun.

I did shoot an elephant in my pajamas once though.....;)

Yep - I shoot black powder also.

Knight 50 caliber - Saboted handguns bullets - very accurate out to 70- 80 yards or so. Not scoped.

I use 209 shotgun primer as ignition source.

- BB

Probably the best slug gun right now is the savage 220.then its big brother in 12. Still classified as a shotgun but it's basically a big rifle. My fathers does 1,1\2 moa with the factory recommended premium slugs

Never seen a deer with a shotgun.

I did shoot an elephant in my pajamas once though..... ;)

I thought I'd plan ahead since they have those large gun racks on their head, one day one of them is bound to carry a shotgun up there. :lol:

I thought I'd plan ahead since they have those large gun racks on their head, one day one of them is bound to carry a shotgun up there. :lol:

Only a matter of time. First bear arms, then deer arms.

Stay prepared!

Trigger Mike, I think you caught the cowboys in a less than serious moment.

Here is what I have used successfully:

12-gage 2-3/4" OO Buckshot from Remington, Federal or Winchester in a modified or full-choked barrel was good for 50 yards. You will want to pattern your gun with this load and determine the actual point of impact.

I also used OOO Buck when I needed to push shot through heavy brush.

Check the hunting regs to be sure buck shot is legal. In my county, it's shotgun only, and slugs only. I use an Ithaca M37 Deerslayer in 12 ga. I've only had 1 shot out beyond 50 yards, and it went down with 1 hit in the neck. Sight in at 50 yards, and you're good to go.

Probably the best slug gun right now is the savage 220.then its big brother in 12. Still classified as a shotgun but it's basically a big rifle. My fathers does 1,1\2 moa with the factory recommended premium slugs

A buddy of mine has the 20. With Rem. copper solids it's darn near as accurate as my .270. Never in a million years would I have thought that possible. Growing up, if you could hit a paper plate at 50 yds. with a slug, you were good to go.

Trigger Mike, I think you caught the cowboys in a less than serious moment.

Here is what I have used successfully:

12-gage 2-3/4" OO Buckshot from Remington, Federal or Winchester in a modified or full-choked barrel was good for 50 yards. You will want to pattern your gun with this load and determine the actual point of impact.

I also used OOO Buck when I needed to push shot through heavy brush.

Thanks. I have one area FULL of deer but I worry if I take my son up there he might not pay attention that he is aiming in the direction of the house in the heat of the moment. It is 200 yards from the house, so shotgun should be fine, but rifle would be another story. Buck shot would be even better.

TM

be sure to check the REGs for your area , as to what is legal , for shot size and firearm requirements

In AR the only thing legal in a .410 is slugs , BUT , there are some WMAs that do NOT allow slugs here

Hopefully , the regs in Ga , arn't as bad as some states , that I have hunted in , over the years

CB

Several years ago, I soldered a set of sights on a Montgomery Ward "Hawthorne Viking" 12 gauge pump shotgun that I shortened enough to remove the choke. I sighted it in with Federal 127RS rifled slugs at 100 yards and was very surprised to find it would consistently shoot sub-6" groups at that range. I had never shot slugs out of a shotgun before and was expecting something more along the lines of two foot groups. I've never attempted to take anything with it... yet... but rifle season is coming up fast!

25 years ago I used to hunt in new York state(shotgun only) and used a smooth bore slug barrel on my Remington 870 12g with rifled slugs. Decent groups and I got a deer with a 75 yard shot. You always wanted to sight in a few weeks before season though so the bruises had time to heal.... Ha ha...ouch

Archived