SASS Wire Forum

and it still is traveling! Voyager 1 leaves heliosphere!

The Milky Way is a fairly small galaxy, as galaxies go and they say, if it didn't run out of fuel, it would take Voyager 40,000 years to reach the next nearest star to us... sooo... it would take about 915,000 years to cross our galaxy alone. The universe is big... REALLY, REALLY, REALLY BIG!

Still looking for The Kirk. ;)

Brilliant obscure Star Trek reference. (Although that was "Nomad" not "V'Ger". Yes, I'm a geek.)

Brilliant obscure Star Trek reference. (Although that was "Nomad" not "V'Ger". Yes, I'm a geek.)

Right. I remember now. V'ger merged with Capt Decker. NOMAD blew a circuit when Jim turned out to be imperfect. :D

Actually they are using nuclear batteries. They should be good for 50 years.....give or take. They also used nuclear batteries in pacemakers back in the 70's. They worked real well but required a lot of paperwork. They eventually came out with batteries that didn't need approval from the Atomic Energy people.

Actually they are using nuclear batteries. They should be good for 50 years.....give or take. They also used nuclear batteries in pacemakers back in the 70's. They worked real well but required a lot of paperwork. They eventually came out with batteries that didn't need approval from the Atomic Energy people.

ah yes...the old plutonium-238

GG ~ :FlagAm:

The Milky Way is a fairly small galaxy, as galaxies go and they say, if it didn't run out of fuel, it would take Voyager 40,000 years to reach the next nearest star to us... sooo... it would take about 915,000 years to cross our galaxy alone. The universe is big... REALLY, REALLY, REALLY BIG!

Even if it did run out of fuel, according to the laws of physics, it would keep going forever until something stopped it.

Even if it did run out of fuel, according to the laws of physics, it would keep going forever until something stopped it.

I'm not sure, but as I understand it space is curved, so that Voyager could theoretically circle back to where it started. Wanna play catch in a few billion years?

I'm not sure, but as I understand it space is curved, so that Voyager could theoretically circle back to where it started. Wanna play catch in a few billion years?

By then it will have....changed. I'm just sayin. :unsure:

I bet that way before a few billion years bring about the return V'ger, some "space junk picker" will collect it and sell it as an antique. ^_^

He may try..........

Archived