SASS Wire Forum

Anybody using the Ruger Vaquero Sheriffs Model It looks Nice to me

Bugsbunnyshooter

I was looking at this online and I love the size. The Stainless Ruger Bug has gotten me.

Oh Today I picked my the Newest member of my Ruger Family.

A Gloss Stainless Vaquero in .38/ 357 We will see how much easier it is on the hands and wrist.

It all depends on the shooters ability with a handgun. The shorter the barrel the bigger the chance for a sighting error. A person shooting a 6 in bbl revolver could be off by a slight margin and still make a hit. That same amount of error with a 3 in bbl will result in a miss. An accomplished shooter will be able to make hits with most any size bbl. You also have to remember that the shorter the bbl the faster the swing when going to each target. Later Fairshake

Been shooting one for over10 years.

It really looks nice the size seem great. How's the recoil in 38/357?

Been using one for about three years now, but not for CAS. Mine is a .45 and I carry it on horseback. I absolutely love it with my own loads using 200 gr XTP bullets. Great woods companion gun.

Bugs,

I shot GF and I been using my Sheriff Model Vaq in .45 Colt all year long.

Love em.

You ask about recoil.

Whether they are .38/.357 or .45, recoil is subject to your load.

Light bullets at moderate velocities give easy recoil.

Warhog stuff gives heavy recoil.

ifn you are a girlie man, even light recoil might bother you. Ifn you are a strong, heavy man with robust hands and wrist, even heavy recoil would seem a minor thing to you.

No big secrets there.

I use the C45S case with 160 grain bullet at approx 650 fps. Recoil seems to be a non-issue for me, even shoot GF style.

..........Widder

I have shoot Rugers in 5.5" since I was 7 years old. A few years back I borrowed some 3.5" Ruger OMV in .357.

I found that I was having problems learning to hold on to the revolver longer while it settled in to the holster while putting it away. Turns out by the end of the match, I was so concerned about not hitting the holster and holding the gun long enough to bottom in the holster. I was loosing time. I did n0ot do as well in this match as I usually do.

I look at this the same way I look at doubles vs pump shotguns. Pick one and learn to use it well. If I choose to use both then I find I am just average with both. The same happens with revolvers. Pick one and get very good with that one.

Never met a barrel too short. I don't have a short barrel Ruger cause I can't, for some reason, shoot a Ruger well. I do however, have three different sets of Colt style guns with 3 1/2 inch barrels. Some 38/357 and 45. I shoot either 38s with a moderate load, 105Gr bullet and the 45s with 45 ACP cylinders and C45S cases, 130Gr bullets.

Recoil is subjective for each shooter and drive by Physics. The heavier the projectile, the more recoil. The subjective part is how much it bothers YOU.

Like Widder, I shoot Gunfighter and tend to light bullies and a middle of the pack load. I am a wusse, so I like light loads. You will discover though, as mentioned above, there isn't much for sight radius. You need to take an extra nanosecond to SEE the front sight.

Now, my 3 1/2 inch barrel 1860s have the same sight radius as a 5 inch barrel SA. Love em. Short barrel, big ball of fire.

Coffinmaker

I actually ordered 500 of the 105 grain bullets from Clark's last night. To try out my new 38/357 I had been shooting .45lc.

The sheriff model looks almost small enough to be a ccw.

I have a pair of old model stainless Vaquero sheriffs models in 357 and love them. Other guns have come and gone but I wont sell my sheriffs models. I just sent them to Jim Downing for a bit of decoratin' in fact. I didn't know they were making them again in 357 tho.

I saw some on one of the Ruger website. I did not check the caliber I just loved the look.

I have a pair of old model stainless Vaquero sheriffs models in 357 and love them. Other guns have come and gone but I wont sell my sheriffs models. I just sent them to Jim Downing for a bit of decoratin' in fact. I didn't know they were making them again in 357 tho.

those are rare Rugers, in my opinion.

I took a pair of my old model Vaq in .357 with 4 5/8" barrels and sent them to Slick McClade to have 3.5" OCTAGON barrels put on. Love em. Slicks work is 'Tops' in my book.

I use those .357 in practice and mostly use my .45 Sheriff Models for main matches.

..........Widder

Archived