SASS Wire Forum

A new low for criminals

I'm at a loss for words to describe the feelings...

Merced Man Arrested For Stealing Cremation Urns

"In May two thieves broke into Evergreen Memorial Cemetery in Merced and stole eleven urns. Police say they wanted the urns so they could recycle the metal.... After stealing the urns from the cemetery police say the thieves carelessly discarded the remains into a garbage can... for no more than fifty pounds of scrap metal..."

Some people are just animals. :angry:

TV News Story

That's pretty much the bottom line right there.

I'm at a loss for words to describe the feelings...

The heart of the human race really hasn't changed in the thousands of years of existence...thank goodness there are more good'uns than bad'uns.

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Not much difference between that and robbing King Tut's grave. Except the amount of money made!!!!!! Just about every Kings grave in Egypt has been

robbed over the years. Nothing new about human nature in that news piece.

My opinion Charlie

Tut's remains weren't tossed into the trash...

This place is just a few miles up the road from me - needless to say, locals are pretty damned disgusted. And we're not talking about thousand year old remains of long-forgotten people from far away - these were relatively recent, with loved ones, parents, children, siblings and friends still very much alive and close by.

This kind of thing is nothing new. When the scrap cost of metal goes up, both the legal and illegal scrapers come out. In graveyards it's urns, placards and crosses. To get a few dollars worth of scrap they'll also create dangerous situations. They'll steal the ground wire from electrical services thereby creating a possible electricution hazard. Steal road signs, including stop signs, creating potentially lethal problems. Thieves are thieves, no matter what they steal. They almost always get off with little penalty. I liked the one picture that Big Jake posted of some idiots that decided to steal wire from a utility substation. Kind of gruesome poetic justice.

CS

Just recently up this way someone took the bronze doors from a crypt for the scrap prices. I also think there have been thefts of the bronze G.A.R. markers too. These people are the lowest of the low.

Dustin Checotah

A few years ago, some low life's stole hundreds of military grave markers erected by the local american legion that told people that a veteran was there. The al had paid something like $10 each. The lowlifes were caught trying to sell them for scrap, but the scrap dealer called the police on them. They would have received all of $150 for several thousand dollars of plaques.

Unfortunately, there are so many scrap dealers who will unscrupulously accept anything that comes through their gates.

Yep. Modern graveyards have flat tomb stones with a bronze plaque so they can mow right over the flush mounted markers.

A hammer and chisel and these are knocked off for scrap.

There was a news article (saw it on Ohioans for Concealed Carry web page) and anecdotal testimony as well pertaining to burglary done during a funeral: how the scoundrels watch the obits and hit the house while everyone is at the funeral and the house is unguarded.

Houses will also be burglarized during a wedding on the theory that it'll be full of gifts (read cards, money, gift cards, etc) -- and at a wedding I attended in Athens, we were in the sanctuary enjoying the service while thieves came into the anteroom, opened the cards and extracted the cash ... while the service was ongoing.

Scrappers stole the aluminum bleachers at our high school, and at a steam and power show, stole brass oilers from the stationary gas engines on display, at night while the exhibitors were either gone or asleep.

Grr ...

Folks.... this isn't just about stealing metal for scrap.

It's about the effect on people when they learn that their loved ones have been thrown in the trash!!

We've all lost people close to us - now, imagine it had been one of yours....

I try to imagine a suitable penalty, but can't. -_-

Jack, I think I'da rather have my remains tossed on the ground by those bastids. At least there, I could mix with the soil and I could be "recycled" ya might say.

Getting tossed in the trash with the other remains, why, that's kinda like hangin' out here in the Saloon (ACS) - you never know who you'll wind up next to. Hehehehe!!!

Archived