SASS Wire Forum

Wood "awning"

I'm thinking about putting a fixed, slatted wood "awning" along the south side of my house, about 35 feet long. The slats will run east-west and be 2" x 4" x however long is necessary.

One long side will be attached to stringer attached to the house and the other long side will be supported by 4" x 4" or larger uprights an 2" x 6" or larger horizontal stringers.

Purpose is to keep the high summer sun off of the side of the house to reduce the heat, but to let the lower winter sun in to help keep the place warmer. The slats are to let some light in so we don't feel like we're living in a root cellar.

Question that has come up is how I measure the angles of the sun to ensure this works. I don't want some gimmicky adjustable thing and it's has to be at least 9 feet high and about 10 feet wide.

Anyone have experience with something like this or know where I can get some information?

Thanks.

Durn Forty Rod. This is exactly the same project I am building. My house faces 15 degrees east off true north and the back of the house faces a concrete patio. In the summer the heat off the patio runs the temp up in the 3 rooms off it up by 10 degrees in the afternnoon. What I intend to do, is angle the slats at the same angle off the horizontal as my Latitude This will block direct sun on the house wall.What I have done the last three years on the west side where there are no windows, I hang a bamboo -rattan divider I bought at Lowes. I hang it off cup hooks on the rafters extensions. This fall I intend to build soffits and include a hanging device in them to accomdate the rolled up curtains.

Use vinyl.

http://images.landscapingnetwork.com/pictures/images/500x500Max/site_8/vinylpatiokits-com_614.jpg

You'll thank me... Well, no you won't. But you should.

Note the pic in Uno Mas' post. Whether wood or vinyl, the stringers will block and diffuse the sunlight sufficiently.The angle is not really important.

Use vinyl.

http://images.landscapingnetwork.com/pictures/images/500x500Max/site_8/vinylpatiokits-com_614.jpg

You'll thank me... Well, no you won't. But you should.

Okie doke, Uno, you're local and should be able to tell me where I'd go to look at this stuff...an if it can be painted. Am I right? (I know I am, but thought I'd ask.) Thank you for the info.

Also, thanks to Bob for saving me a ton of aggravation with my very limited math skills. (Sorry, Prof, but I lost my slide rule about 1965 and never even looked for it.)

Okie doke, Uno, you're local and should be able to tell me where I'd go to look at this stuff...an if it can be painted. Am I right? (I know I am, but thought I'd ask.) Thank you for the info.

Also, thanks to Bob for saving me a ton of aggravation with my very limited math skills. (Sorry, Prof, but I lost my slide rule about 1965 and never even looked for it.)

Vinyl Pergolas (Not a recommendation - but a place to start.)

I've seen them at Home Despot and So Lowe's. I think I've also seen them in tan and brown. Vinyl can be painted using a high-grade acrylic latex paint. But, why the heck would you want to paint vinyl?

And don't you go getting nice on me.

Vinyl Pergolas (Not a recommendation - but a place to start.)

I've seen them at Home Despot and So Lowe's. I think I've also seen them in tan and brown. Vinyl can be painted using a high-grade acrylic latex paint. But, why the heck would you want to paint vinyl?

And don't you go getting nice on me.

If I can get it in the right shade of brown to match all the rest of the trim on my house I wouldn't consider painting vinyl. I probably can't though, so I'll have to.

If I can get it in the right shade of brown to match all the rest of the trim on my house I wouldn't consider painting vinyl. I probably can't though, so I'll have to.

IMNSHO, a white pergolas would look nice, regardless of the house color. You are obviously not spending enough time in the shade drinking iced beverages.

Work on that.

4T, have you looked at an RV style retractable awning? Complete shade in the summer, sunlight in the winter. You can get ones that automatically retract in high winds. Six feet wide should be about perfect.

Prof, I reconsidered your calculator. Dang thing is only going to be 6 feet wide so I have to re-think it.

Looks like 32 degrees would be about right. Space the slats about one board width apart and you should be in the ballpark. I would build a test structure to be sure that you get the shade you want right now!

| / / / / / / / <-- slats oriented like this, top leaned towards the south at about 32 degrees should get you maximum sun in the winter.

|

|

|

|

I had some time, and built a model of my cover. I angles the boards with 4 different spacings, and facing south and north... Using a light meter, am down to about a 4 in. spacing facing slants north and a 2 in. spacing facing south. Got to 101 here in the shade today on the patio both of the models kept the cinder block under them much cooler than the concrete of the patio.

Archived