SASS Wire Forum

Shorter Ruger Barrels....Rebarrel VS cut down

Major Art Tillery

I am thinking of turning my 44-40 Ruger Vaqueros from 7 1/2 to the 5 1/2. Anybody have any experience in doing this? What is the best route to take.... rebarrel or having them cut down? Any recommendations on a good gunsmith for the work? Thanks pards.

Major Art Tillery

If done by a competent gunsmith, I see no real difference. Just choose the most economical way, and go for it.

RBK

I have been looking into this also, 44 barrels are hard to find and pricey. They also sell as soon as they are listed. I was quoted 150 for stainless and 180 for blue cut crown and reinstall the sight. 357/45 may be cheaper the change they run about half what I have found 44 barrels for.

The other thing to think of is that the 7 1/2 inch barrel was the least manufactured length in the 44-40. If you have not race tuned them and they are lightly used. You could probably sell them and buy shorter ones and pocket some extra cash. Just a thought.

I used Gary Reeder in Flagstaff AZ to shorten two OMV from 7.5 to 5.5. He does great work! Also there are no Ruger barrels to be bought anywhere right now.

The other thing to think of is that the 7 1/2 inch barrel was the least manufactured length in the 44-40. If you have not race tuned them and they are lightly used. You could probably sell them and buy shorter ones and pocket some extra cash. Just a thought.

They have been shot plenty, and have my alias engraved in backstrap. But I considered just buying a shorter set... never have to many guns right?

:FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm:

I cut both of my 10.5" K-Super Blackhawks back to 7.5".

I crowned them without unscrewing the barrels.

The only other machine work was to tap the screw hole for the front sight.

Definitely the cheaper way to go, I reckon.

BTW----No change in the POA.

Mustang Gregg

I have a set of Gary Reeder Ultimate Vaqueros. They are great pistols and the grip frame is just about perfect for me. That aside, it looks like his wait time is really backed up although maybe not for barrel work. I'd definetly try to find a set of barrels (maybe on Gunbroker or a Ruger site) and sell your old barrels. SM

Absolutely nothing wrong with extra sets! I have a set of 44mag/44-40 vaqueros in 4 5/8 and a set of 44 mag bisley vaqueros in 5 1/2. I would not mind a set of the 7 1/2's too!

Hogleg Smith from GA cut my old 44 7 1/2's down to 5........yes five.......I couldn't decide if I wanted 5 1/2 or 4 3/4 so I split the difference. It was kinda' cool having 5 inch SA's.

It was cheaper than a re-bbl and he did a great job.

Archived