SASS Wire Forum

3 Worst TV Western Series 1950-1980

There were 150 plus TV series during this time period, these were the 3 I most disliked

1) The Life & Legend of Wyatt Earp (the Ken Darby Singers should have been rounded up for a necktie party!)

2) Sugarfoot w/ Will Hutchins

3) The Westerner w/ Brian Keith

There were 150 plus TV series during this time period, these were the 3 I most disliked

1) The Life & Legend of Wyatt Earp (the Ken Darby Singers should have been rounded up for a necktie party!)

2) Sugarfoot w/ Will Hutchins

3) The Westerner w/ Brian Keith

Your tough, actually the "Westerner" is considered a classic. Loved Sugarfoot, especially when the Canary Kid, (I believe he was in 3 episodes, both roles played by Will Hutchin) are classics.

When Wyatt Earp first ran, the title song was considered a classic, and the song actually paved way for other westerns to throw in theme songs. MT

There was a bad one?

All were infinitely better than watching reality tv today.

Shotgun Slade

Whispering Smith

The Adventures of Rin Tin Tin

Of the three, the dog was the best actor...

Hey! I liked Rin-Tin-Tin! Never could figure out the dog's name, though. Captain Gallant of the French Foreign Legion was another I liked (technically not a western, I suppose), and Sergant Preston of the Yukon (a Northwestern).

I just found Captain Gallant on Amazon! Already have Sergeant Preston.

Range Rider with Jock Mahoney-Liked Jock, but Robert Blake, what can I say about the character he played.? Would have been better on Howdy Doody with princess summerfallwinterspring. Howdy wore a cowboy outfit and Buffalo Bob Smith wore Buckskins. Not much gunplay though. Just Clarabelle's seltzer squirting.

Worst 3

#1-Shotgun Slade, hated the jazz theme music

#2- Buffalo Bill jr. of all the kiddie westerns, this was the worst

#3- Johnny Ringo. Could not stand the hat, and bib shirt worn by Mark Goddard, Cully his Deputy. Though, Karen Sharpe was sharp, and Don Durant who wrote many episodes, wrote and sang the theme song. Also Don Durant was always a fan favorite at the fan circuits. But Goddard costume made you cringe. Only watched the show during summer re-runs, if it wasn't for Karen Sharpe, probable wouldn't.. MT

Triple D, couldn't agree more with your numbers one and two. God, that music for Wyatt Earp was terrible. A herd of epileptic cats hawking up hairballs, while sliding down a chalkboard slide with their claws out would be a vast improvement! :lol::wacko::P

I never saw "The Westerner", so I'll have to add "Bonanza" as #3. Yeah, I know - its a classic, lots of folks watched it - it ran for fourteen years and ranks as the second longest running western series of all time. For me, it sucked! :o Too many episodes full of hokey comedy from Hoss and too many episodes with a politically correct theme, courtesy of the show's writers. :angry:

Triple D, couldn't agree more with your numbers one and two. God, that music for Wyatt Earp was terrible. A herd of epileptic cats hawking up hairballs, while sliding down a chalkboard slide with their claws out would be a vast improvement! :lol::wacko::P

Not only the music, but the episode introductions where..................

For example - "In all the 100's of gunfights Wyatt Earp participated in while marshal of Dodge, he never killed anyone, always shooting to wound".

Right !

Give me a break. I realize the show was based on Stuart N. Lakes highly enhanced version of the interviews he did with Earp, but even he never went that far overboard.

Professor Tull

I could live without Sugarfoot, but compared to "Modern Family and all the new sitcoms Sugarfoot was awesome!!!

The 50's TV Westerns were the Silver Screens best days!

Rye :)

Guest Tennessee Stud, SASS# 43634 Life

3 Worst TV Western Series 1950-1980

I Love Lucy

Green Acres

The Young and The Restless

(To prove my point... them folks would not even put on "cowboy" clothes.)

ts

Archived