SASS Wire Forum

Want to thank someone who I think has been severely overlooked.

Just want to give a great big THANK YOU to Spur (aka. Gary Blansett out of Illinois) Although he has retired from gunsmithing and passed the torch to Cowboy Carty he made a huge impact on how Marlin lever guns are tuned today. His innovation and inventions improving the 1894 Marlin are endless and true things of beauty. I have 5 Marlins hand built by him and they will never leave my collection as long as I'm alive. He spent countless hours on the phone with cowboys and cowgirls (which he'll never get paid for) helping them out and answering their questons.He's a quiet cowboy who probably would be embarassed by this post but he'll get over it :D . Thanks so much Spur for helping the cowboy community out over the years.

Nice tribute to Spur ... He's a gentleman all the way.. and like ya said.. a quiet man...

I get to call him a personal friend as you do.. and when he was workin' on my guns..

He'd tell me more things about shootin' than my ol' brain could absorb...

I'd tell him that and he'd just smile and laugh... His lady Uh Oh.. was my first target to get as good as...

Took a while .. but I finally caught her..

Spur.. well he was a target that I figured if I could get within 5 or 6 seconds of him.. I was doin' good..

Rance ;)

Thinkin' Thanks Deuce

again.. nice tribute..

Spur built a great Marlin. Shamrock Sadie and I have 4 and they will never be sold. Thanks to Spur for passing on the knowledge to Cowboy Carty. Thanks to Carty for talking me through a fix at Ambush last year saved our shoot.

Spur was one of the very small group of "golden bullet award" recipients for his help in making the introduction of the Cowboy .45 Special a success. Before the C45S was even commercially available, Spur did what was then the "shortest short stroke" 45 marlin ever made, for me. He did a second for me, and a dozen or so for others. I won't say they always ran flawlessly, as with anything on the ragged edge of the state of the art, they had teething issues, but when in proper tune, they were a thing of beauty to behold, with a stroke length of 4 5/8". I could run mine with a flick of the fingers, not even moving my wrist. He's a true gentleman who spent countless hours turning the wheels of his Bridgeport to make marlin carriers, for what he claimed (and I believe it) amounted to about $6/hr. Truly a labor of love.

Spur defiantly does deserve credit for the advancement of our sport. He has been a true student of the game. Not only did he develop the "Spur Marlin" design but im pretty sure he pioneered the right hand load two in the 97 Method (First shot fired with middle finger holding second shell against the receiver). Spur has been more than generous to me. I appreciate all the time he has spent with me. Not only with the "Spur Marlin" business, but as a mentor. There are a lot of great people i have met in this sport that I consider true friends. I think any one who knows Spur would agree that he is one of the Good Guys.

Good post Deuce.

SPUR went above and beyond the norm in helping Marlin owners in creating a spectacular rifle, especially for those involved in CAS.

And its a tribute to his character that he's passed on his knowledge to Cowboy Carty who can carry on this Marlin work for those wanting one of these Marlin masterpieces.

..........Widder

He is truly a good man and a real asset to this sport. He still averages stages in the teens. Cannot count the folks he's helped. Sure do love that Cowboy Special Marlin he built for my bride. There may be folks that know as much about a Marlin, but nobody knows more.

CR

Thank you Deuce. That's a very fine compliment and coming from you means a lot to Me.

Thank all of you for your kind words. It is an honor to have shot with so many great CAS folks and a privilege to have worked for many of you.

I was very lucky to have someone as talented as Carty to take over the Marlin work. His dedication and work ethics will only make it better.

Uh-Oh and I are slowing down a bit but hope to see all of you on the trail for years to come.

Not to mention that Spur donated a Marlin to our Charity Shoot to benefit St. Jude Children's Research Hospital every year - he's got the biggest heart of anybody I know. Would do anything for anybody. And this year, even though he has passed his skills on to Cowboy Carty, he has donated the rifle to the shoot and Cowboy Carty is doing the work on it, so we will have a "Spur/Carty" rifle to raffle at the shoot. Folks like Spur don't come around often - I'm honored to call him my friend.

Shamrock Sis

Archived