SASS Wire Forum

Hammer Power

spittoon otool

Widder: warning, too much cough syrup will make ya see double.

Gunner: Ha! Looks like MC Hammer would shoot B-Western.

Turn the small screw, just a little, got it. Thanks.

Spittoon

I will add this to the discussion. The little screw is the hammer spring tension adjustment, but some smiths lighten the hammer spring by loosening the big screw. If this was done, you may have to tighten this screw down before messing with the tension screw.

Yes, the big one is the tang screw.

Correction......

the big one is not the tang screw but the spring retaining screw. Took a look at my 60 Henry which doesn't have the tension adjustment screw from the factory. I had it added by my gun smith to mimic the 73.

However this screw has been loosened to reduce the spring tension by some shooters. It does the job but is not really the correct fix for the purpose.

Frank has it right, many (probably most) shooters will loosen the big screw (which is the screw that holds the spring in the frame) to lighten spring tension.

So what you should do 1st is LOOSEN the little screw, then try to tighten the big screw, if the big screw is tight already go ahead and tighten the little screw as outlined above. If the big screw has some adjustment in it tighten it a 1/2 turn or so, then snug up the little screw and give it a try, repeat as needed. It may take considerable force to see if the big screw is all the way tight as you can only get at it when there is tension on the spring from an open lever/cocked hammer.

Doc

I have never seen one come from Uberti setup where the strain screw actually works like it is suppose to.

This is how you adjust the strain screw on the original 73' 92's and some 94's. This is the slightly smaller screw there on the bottom of the lower tang just in front of the hammer spring screw? The top one in your picture. The actually hammer spring screw is in a countersunk hole as opposed to a counter boreed flat bottom hole like the strain screw hole. The hammer screw is bevelled so that it can be canted slightly in the hole. First thing to do is back off the strain screw so that the tip is flush with the inside of the lower tang. Then lightly tighten the hammer screw then back off one turn. Do this because the strain screw won't work if the hammer screw is tight. Now tighten the strain screw to lift the front of the hammer spring. This will give you more hammer spring. Start out with the lest amount of hammer spring then tighten the strain screw until you get consistent ignition.

Frank has it right, many (probably most) shooters will loosen the big screw (which is the screw that holds the spring in the frame) to lighten spring tension. So what you should do 1st is LOOSEN the little screw, then try to tighten the big screw, if the big screw is tight already go ahead and tighten the little screw as outlined above. If the big screw has some adjustment in it tighten it a 1/2 turn or so, then snug up the little screw and give it a try, repeat as needed. It may take considerable force to see if the big screw is all the way tight as you can only get at it when there is tension on the spring from an open lever/cocked hammer. Doc

This!

Archived