SASS Wire Forum

Info on a Winchester 42

Rock Hound

I ended up with a Winchester Model 42 .410 pump gun in a trade earlier this week. The gun at the time looked pretty rough, but after spending most of yesterday evening and today cleaning it up it seems to be in pretty decent shape. The bluing is maybe 80-85%, the forend is is good shape, but the butt stock was unfortunately pretty rough; someone at one point cut off about 1.5 inches and did a butcher job of it. I am looking for a factory replacement butt stock.

The serial number is: 518xx putting it as manufactured in 1945 or 46 if what I looked up was correct.

Does anyone know much about these little shotguns? I acquired it for a rabbit/squirrel gun and think it will work pretty well.

Rock, you are one lucky dude~!!

Many people refer to the Model 42 as a "Baby Model 12," and indeed they do share the same lines and profile. Although it was supposedly created as a scaled down version of the venerable 12, it does have some significant differences - most notably a side-plate allowing access to the receiver's innards.

That has to be about the single most coveted shotgun I can think of... aside from being a novelty, it's one terrific field gun for small birds like dove and such - and will be the scourge of the rabbit and squirrel population in your neck o' the woods~!! ^_^

You're gonna enjoy the heck outta that thing! :D

Rock, please take this with a smile:

I just sent a text message to my old pal Palouse, who as we speak is sitting at a gun auction in Michigan, and mentioned your good fortune.

He replied with note saying "It's a POS! Tell him they left the factory broken!" :P

Like me, he's lusted after a Mdl 42 for a loooong time.... ^_^

Just got off the phone with 'im.... He's happy for ya! (He's happy for himself, too.... just picked up a VERY sweet Shiloh Sharps!)

Thanks for the information Hardpan! It sure feels like a nice little shotgun. I actually just bought it as a shooter, and still plan on using it.

I almost feel a little bad with the trade. All he wanted was 3 bricks of .22, $250, and cleaning up 6 other guns as best as I was able, but the gun was obviously rusting away in the guys attic. He kept them in no safe, cases or anything, just the humid attic on top of the blown in insulation.

He also had/has a pre-1900 1894 in 30-30 that was almost denigrated (I told him I didn't want to even clean it) and several other guns that looked like they were tossed up there 50+ years ago.

Rock, don't feel bad at all... look at it as if you'd rescued a neglected ol' dog with a good pedigree~! ^_^

By the way, selling price on those typically has a comma in it ~ even in the condition you've described.

Good luck on finding a buttstock; it may take a bit of effort, but you'll find one. Oh, and there's a fella selling three buttplates on Gunbroker for $25!

Model 42 Buttplates

Lucky Dog!!

cc

My grandfather had a 42 that he would lend me when I was in high school. It was my favorite rabbit, quail, and dove gun. It passed to my uncle when Grandpa died, so when Browning came out with their Model 42 in the '90s, an exact copy, I had to get one. You won't find it recommended by the experts, but I have taken more pheasants with a 42 than any other shotgun.

You made a terrific score!

Just came back from shooting it. The thing shoots like a dream. I couldn't be happier with it.

Shuck, Rock...! I'm happy FOR ya~!! The only guys I know who have '42's inherited 'em. Hang on tight to 'er! ^_^

Hey, Frazee!!

Palouse sez you both lucked out.... that '73 was on his "hit list" if he didn't get the Sharps! :lol:

And he's just about as tickled as can be... Travels between Michigan and Washington a couple times a year, and usually stops at Shiloh and C. Sharps to drool. He'll call me when he does just to share the misery of wantin' but not bein' budgeted... But now...! :wub:

I've seen the pictures - it's gorgeous!

So tell us about the '73... :)

That"s the most worthless shotgun in the world! They fall apart,won't cycle right and don't shoot to point of aim. The best thing to do with it is box it up and send it to me for proper disposal!

OK , I'm jus jealous, have had several of them and feel they are one of the finest shotguns a man can own. I remember taking dove and pheasant in the great San Joaquin Valley below where Hardpan lives with one. Hold on to it pard, shoot it every chance ya get. A round of skeet is also great fun with one.

I have a friend that just bought a skeet grade M42 for 4 Grand. A field grade in good condition will bring around 900 to 1000. Treat it nice and enjoy shooting it, you got a classic. A replacement butt stock should not be too difficult to find. :)

Hardpan:

I'm happy that things worked out both for Palouse and I. The 73 is a new Uberti, 45 Colt, never fired. I see you live in CA. My daugher and her family live in Yorba Linda so my wife and I are there often. You anywhere near there?

Frazee

Rock, how's $75 for a stock sound...? :)

http://www.gun-parts.com/winchesterstocks/

Frazee, 'fraid not.... I'm in the Central Valley ~ literally smack-dab in the middle of the state. Nearly 300 miles north of there...

Now, if I might be so bold to suggest... if you could schedule a visit to coincide with a Grumpy Lunch Bunch even, I'm sure you'd have a heck of a good time and meet some fine folks...! :)

Heck... I've been known to make that trip! :P

Hardpan, thanks for looking that up for me. Right now I am attempting to hold out for an original stock, but I did end up buying the buttplates you posted from gunbroker.

I am going to try to upload a few pictures of the little beauty.

Lets see if this works.

The good:

DSCF6127.jpg

DSCF6128.jpg

DSCF6129.jpg

DSCF6130.jpg

DSCF6133.jpg

The bad:

DSCF6134.jpg

DSCF6135.jpg

gee, tha's purdy ugly,,,,,not! sweet gun!!

CPBC

Herb Parsons travelled the backroads in the 1950s and 1960s to stop in small towns and put on shooting shows to demonstrate Winchester guns and ammo. His goal was to sell two Model 42s in each town.

The Dennis Adler 'Winchester Shotguns' book has a great chapter on these little-guns-that-could.

Nice find.

So Rock...

Do ya have a nice Model 12 to go with that 42...? :)

Don' want it gettin' lonesome, ya know! ^_^

With how nice this Model 42 shoots, I think I will be getting rid of the 870s and picking up a Model 12 to go with it. Looks like I am becoming a Winchester collector.

There's a bonus, Rock...

Since last year, the Model 12 is now legal for Wild Bunch shoots! ;)

And they made 'em in 20, 16, AND 12 gauge! ^_^

Twelve gauge on the largest frame; 20 and 16 share a slightly downsized frame. My son's favorite shotgun is a 16... and they call it "Sweet!" for a reason! :wub:

Now you have gone and done it. Thinkin about a Model 12 now, before ya know it a whole gaggle of 12.16 and 20 ga. start showin up at the front door wanting to join the little 410 guy sitting in the safe and the party starts from there! It's not a pretty site but oh well, someone has to do it. Have fun with them. If you have not figured it out by now I'm in love with Model 12's and 42's. Some of the finest shooting shotguns in the world.

Paladin, you understand!!! :lol:

I have an old WWII vintage 12, with a long barrel and a "U S" and flaming bomb stamped on the side of the receiver... :rolleyes:

By the way - J-Bar mentioned Brownings earlier. I was just thinking... Nice guns, but the Browning produced versions have a a trigger disconnect feature the original Winchesters did not. No holding back the trigger and "slam-firing" 'em. Darn. :(

Oooo.... but check THIS out!!

Browning 28 Ga Model 12 :wub:

Those are cool little guns. Gal I used to work with and her hubby had one, looked brand spankin' new. Tried to buy it off 'em (like I need another .410) but never could talk 'em out of it.

JHC

This 42 is quickly becoming one of my favorites.

I just got a replacement pin that is part of the break-down system (from the end of the tube). When i pulled it apart, much to my surprise, there was a Winchester brand dowel rod in the tube magazine!

Let me guess. It was The RED Winchester slanted letters Logo. I have several out of the 6 Winchester 1897's that I own. Winchester Lightning script.

Jake

Yep, same writing as you describe. It is a Winchester trademark three shell plug dowel.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I couldn't help it, I picked up a Model 12 today at a gun show to go with my little 42.

The Model 12 is in 12 gauge, it has a factory solid rib, cylinder bore, nickel steel barrel that someone unfortunately cut down to 20". However, they did do a good job cutting the barrel. The receiver is missing most of its finish, but has nice patina. It has matching numbers that puts it as a 1929 make. The stock is not original but the forend is. It is a little rough around the edges, but everything locks up real tight and I plan on running it hard anyways. Overall, I am very happy with it.

Sounds like a dandy quail gun, Rock.... ^_^

And remember... with that gun you can hold the trigger back and pump. ;)

Well, I couldn't help it, I picked up a Model 12 today at a gun show to go with my little 42.

The Model 12 is in 12 gauge, it has a factory solid rib, cylinder bore, nickel steel barrel that someone unfortunately cut down to 20". However, they did do a good job cutting the barrel. The receiver is missing most of its finish, but has nice patina. It has matching numbers that puts it as a 1929 make. The stock is not original but the forend is. It is a little rough around the edges, but everything locks up real tight and I plan on running it hard anyways. Overall, I am very happy with it.

Well now ya went and done did it. I aint talkin to ya anymore! just kidding, good for you. Them solid rib models models are special.

Archived