SASS Wire Forum

1873 front sight height?

Buckshot Frank

I'd like to swap the front sight on my Renegade with the XS cowboy sight. It comes in two heights (.400 and .500). Which height do I need? Would the taller sight provide the correct sight picture if using the semi-buckhorn more like a ghost ring sight?

If your gun shoots good now get what is on it.If they don't offer the height of yours and your ramp has more height that the rear sight can go up get the one closest to what you have and go up with the rear sight.I think the little higher the sight is the easier it is to acquire.That is just my thinking.

How do you measure the height of the front sight? My Pedersoli Lightning has a front sight without a brass bead, and I'd like to replace it with one that does.

Changing the height of the front sight will change the point of impact. If the replacement is higher and the rear sight is untouched the rifle will shoot at a lower point of impact. Even at CAS distances that might make enough of a difference to shoot below the steel. As mentioned, the best way is to raise the rear sight by the same amount. As far as replacing the front sight, measuring what is on there now from the flat of the barrel to its highest point should tell you the height of the replacement sight, if you want the same distance.

Changing the height of the front sight will change the point of impact. If the replacement is higher and the rear sight is untouched the rifle will shoot at a lower point of impact. Even at CAS distances that might make enough of a difference to shoot below the steel. As mentioned, the best way is to raise the rear sight by the same amount. As far as replacing the front sight, measuring what is on there now from the flat of the barrel to its highest point should tell you the height of the replacement sight, if you want the same distance.

True- if using the rear sight as designed. The rear semi-buckhorn sight has a small notch in the center. The proper sight picture should be obtained by placing the dot into that notch. For speed, I want to simply see the front sight in the buckhorn area. Using the stock front sight, this sight picture would result in a high point of impact. My thinking is that a taller front sight would compensate for this and allow the quicker "express" sight picture. Does this sound reasonable?

.400 is standard. .500 would let you float the bead in horns some.

GJ

Measure center of bead to flat on dovetail on base.

The tricky part will be keeping the top of the front sight in the same spot in relation to the rear sight. Long ago was taught sight aligment much more critical than placement of the aiming point. With my M1A .007 difference makes 1 inch change of point of impact at 100 yards.

Having said that at CAS distances, may not be super critical, but is something to think about. Keeping a consistant sight picture will help, but if you want to shoot really fast, may not want to spend much time on it. Experience will show how close is close enough.

The tricky part will be keeping the top of the front sight in the same spot in relation to the rear sight.

Front sight drifts. Rear sight drifts. What's so hard about sighting in?

GJ

Front sight drifts. Rear sight drifts. What's so hard about sighting in?

GJ

GJ,

Nothing hard about sighting in but you forgot the rear sight has elevation adjustment too. :o/> :)/>

Here is my experience with installing the XS sights on three Uberti 73s (family). First, XS are great sights, but the rear sight comes with a .400 which proved not usable as all three of the rifles shot too high, even when removing the rear sight ladder and placing the rear sight flat on the barrel. So, I bought the .500 fronts and they shot perfectly. Throw that big white bead on the rifle targets and that's where the bullet hits - except when I miss. Naw, it still hits where the big white bead points, just apparently sometimes the white bead isn't on the target when the finger hears "fire".

Here is my experience with installing the XS sights on three Uberti 73s (family). First, XS are great sights, but the rear sight comes with a .400 which proved not usable as all three of the rifles shot too high, even when removing the rear sight ladder and placing the rear sight flat on the barrel. So, I bought the .500 fronts and they shot perfectly. Throw that big white bead on the rifle targets and that's where the bullet hits - except when I miss. Naw, it still hits where the big white bead points, just apparently sometimes the white bead isn't on the target when the finger hears "fire".

Exactly........

With reduced loads taller is better......most 73's are set to the lowest or second to the lowest notch with a stock front sight. A taller front sight will give you more adjustment.

+1

That is how its been with all my 73's. I've changed and use the taller sight. The rear sight ramp will accommodate the taller front sight. As stated by CJ more adjustment and I believe easier to acquire a good sight picture.

Your milage may vary.

Ringer

Archived