SASS Wire Forum

DUKW - The Sea Going Truck

Subdeacon Joe

I rode in one last April. They are used for tours of Boston, touring both the streets of Boston and up and down the Charles River between Boston and Cambridge. The drivers must have a Captain's license.

They're a blast! If you see one on the streets of Boston, the proper etiquette is to let out a series of load "quacks", and to get the same in response from the passengers. When the Red Sox won the World Series, they used a flock of Ducks to tour the city in a parade.

We took my Dad for a ride on his 80th birthday; the captain noted his "US Navy World War II Vet" cap, and gave him the wheel for a part of the run up the Charles River. Great people, great fun.

Last I heard, they are having trouble getting parts.

LL

They still use these in Florida for aquatic weed removal in the hundreds of miles of canals.A very cool invention. :D

The official vehicle of AFLAC insurance.

They run them on tours here in Seattle also. I have never rode in one, but I recall that during the war (WWII) and shortly after, we would see them running in convoy down hwy 3 in Southern Illinois, to service the flood areas from the Mississippi. Those GIs would always wave to a ten year old kid standing in awe on the sidewalk.

Thanks for the memories, Joe. :FlagAm:

The Ducks in Branson are converted to auto. trans. and diesel engines. While in the water, they will ask if anyone wants to drive it. I always do! Fun! :lol:/> B)/> Ducks at the Wisconsin Dells still have the old "crash box" trannies with gas engines and the drivers tend to be younger and a lot more fun to ride with . I try to ride in a Duck every chance I get. :)/>

Archived