SASS Wire Forum

Tips with Colt SAA reload

NoNameNewbie

I'm currently working at a Gun Range/Shop that requires us to qualify with our sidearms to carry them while working. I would love to carry a Colt SAA in a nice leather rig. However, we have to put down about 30 rounds downrange in the qual and it's timed (but not exceedingly fast). I was wondering if anyone had any training tips for reloading fast. Also I'll only be able to carry one firearm, so no dual pistols unfortunately.

Also I'm alittle concerned with dry-fire practice with my colt. I use snap-caps, but have concerns with the timing and excessive use.

Thanks

Considering that your occupation has a higher risk of attack than the average citizen I'd have to agree with Lumpy and Virgil that a semiauto would be a better choice. However, if you insist on shooting single action consider a double action revolver with a swing out cylinder and exposed hammer.

The only exception that I know of to what Virgil said about there being no fast reload for a single action is a Remington which can be reloaded fairly quickly by swaping cylinders like Clint Eastwood did in (I think it was) Pail Rider. Remington cylinders can be carried quite easily with a large speedloader pouch. Of course that's not all that practical.

For speed re-loading a SAA I've had the best success kicking out one empty and reloading one new, kicking out one empty and reloading one new.

Learning to do it this way will also help in partial reloads under stress.

If you choose to kick out all empties first and then reload you'll want to pull the fresh shells two at a time.

If you carry your fresh cartridges correctly you can pull 4 at a time and stack then between your index and second finger for stuffing them into the cylinder. Just keep in mind that when you go over pulling two cartridges at a time you dramatically increase the fumble factor, especially under stress.

Kicking out one and then reloading it will serve you best under most all situations.

I've already qual'd with a semi-auto. I was thinking that I could carry extra cylinders and just pop the pin and get 6 fresh rounds in. But I don't have a good idea how to carry them on my belt.

You have been watching WAY to many movies.... :lol: NOW, get real!!

You NEED to start researching how long a robbery/gunfight lasts.

This ain't playtime.....You fighting for your life!

You may NOT have two working hands to fumble around doing what you want. PLUS, you'll get DEAD real quick.

Look up Gunsite in AZ. and get some training.

Have you got a lawyer lined up for AFTER the shooting stops? ;)

LG

The Ruger New Vaquero can carry 6 safely, good for reloads (free spin pawl), albeit not much faster than the ole Colt SAA, and is perfectly fine to dry fire....

Good luck, but maybe consider a double action if your bent on a revolver - the reloads will be much faster.

For entertainment purposes only..what one with EXTREME PRACTICE 'might' be able to do with a double action revolver

(and off course nobody is shooting BACK at Jerry in this video)

GG ~ :FlagAm:

You have been watching WAY to many movies.... :lol: NOW, get real!!

You NEED to start researching how long a robbery/gunfight lasts.

This ain't playtime.....You fighting for your life!

You may NOT have two working hands to fumble around doing what you want. PLUS, you'll get DEAD real quick.

Look up Gunsite in AZ. and get some training.

Have you got a lawyer lined up for AFTER the shooting stops? ;)

LG

Guys calm down. I conceal carry a Glock 26 at my 5 o'clock. This is just for open carry. Just for fun, I would never engage a potential assailant with it.

check out the new Springfield XD-S 45

5+1

I carry one concealed ever day in an Alessi ankle rig9best ankle rigs made...2nd is the Galco lite)...don't even know it's there till you need it

I've given up on concealed and pocket holsters

After a week of carrying in an ankle rig, you will never go back

Plus, with practice, fast to draw..if right handed for example, drop down on your right knee, pull pistol which is worn on inside of opposite ankle.

True, not the fastest draw out there, but i guarantee you that you will carry daily with a well broken in ankle rig..barely even know it's there.But it is.

Back to topic: NO revolver is as fast to reload as an auto pistol.None.

Even my Ingram Powder Springs MAC 10 with 30 rd 45 cal grease gun mags(modified and notched for use in a MAC 10) is incredibly fast..with a 950 rd/min cyclic rate, it has to be!

Seriously there is nothing wrong with a single action for self defence, IF you practice.

Yes i have been in gun battles

That being said if you want a fast reload single action. Top break s&w you can use speedloaders in it

Having 5 shots or 500 isnt important. Its hitting what you aim at

I've already qual'd with a semi-auto. I was thinking that I could carry extra cylinders and just pop the pin and get 6 fresh rounds in. But I don't have a good idea how to carry them on my belt.

If you are talking cap an ball, this can be done as you describe. You need a leather maker to make a couple of pouches. If you are talking cartridge gun, there is no way to keep the cartridges in the cylinder. The cartridges will fall out if you are in a hurry or the least bit shaky.

Life is short. Don't make a move to shorten it further. ;)

check out the new Springfield XD-S 45

5+1

I carry one concealed ever day in an Alessi ankle rig9best ankle rigs made...2nd is the Galco lite)...don't even know it's there till you need it

I've given up on concealed and pocket holsters

After a week of carrying in an ankle rig, you will never go back

Plus, with practice, fast to draw..if right handed for example, drop down on your right knee, pull pistol which is worn on inside of opposite ankle.

True, not the fastest draw out there, but i guarantee you that you will carry daily with a well broken in ankle rig..barely even know it's there.But it is.

Back to topic: NO revolver is as fast to reload as an auto pistol.None.

Even my Ingram Powder Springs MAC 10 with 30 rd 45 cal grease gun mags(modified and notched for use in a MAC 10) is incredibly fast..with a 950 rd/min cyclic rate, it has to be!

After seeing this commented on (by SS) I decided to give it try.

It is a smooth shooting, accurate and well built firearm. (and now my CCW) Thanks for the tip SS!!

I have run about 600 rounds - Personal Protection, target and a bunch of my WB loads. Has not jammed yet or given me any issues.

Currently carry in a N82 (Nate squared) IWB setup but may have to get an ankle holster to check out.

Regards

:FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

Seriously there is nothing wrong with a single action for self defence, IF you practice.

That being said if you want a fast reload single action. Top break s&w you can use speedloaders in it

Oh...that's right.

Yup...that would be the fastest single action reload capable revolver. ;)

GG

Personally I'll always go to my Glock. I'm not looking at a Colt SAA for self-defense at all. I just need to qual with it to carry in the store. (horrible lawyers and such) I just thought it would be a good challenge for myself to get started in Cowboy Action Shooting.

Dogooder is right. I forgot about the top-break. So there are two options for a quick single action reload, S&W top-break or Remmington.

Also I'll only be able to carry one firearm, so no dual pistols unfortunately.

Guys calm down. I conceal carry a Glock 26 at my 5 o'clock. This is just for open carry.

Just for fun, I would never engage a potential assailant with it.

Howdy,

First of all, welcome to the Wire. I hope you find many years of enjoyment in Cowboy Action Shooting and with the friends you will make in the sport. That said, two of your comments are conflicting, first you say you are only allowed to carry one gun, then you state you will have two????

You have gotten some real good advice from guys that have been through the scenario you are preparing for but hope never happens. In the end what you carry and how you carry it is up to you. If you are not practicing with your equipment as you would wear it for defensive use (concealed vs open carry) you are doing yourself and those you would defend a disservice. Personally, I love my Cowboy revolvers more than any other handguns I own but I do not have a Single Action revolver listed on my CCW.

Your last statement is a bit troublesome, carrying a loaded gun "just for fun" happens at SASS, IPSC and numerous other shooting competitions where fun is why we attend. The situation you are wanting to carry under is not "just for fun" and if you are not willing to defend your life and potentially the lives of customers and fellow employees with the firearm you are carrying you might as well go to Lowe's and get a framing hammer and hammer holster to wear on your side.

Whatever you decide to carry for defensive purposes it is my wish that you are never forced to use it.

Howdy,

First of all, welcome to the Wire. I hope you find many years of enjoyment in Cowboy Action Shooting and with the friends you will make in the sport. That said, two of your comments are conflicting, first you say you are only allowed to carry one gun, then you state you will have two????

You have gotten some real good advice from guys that have been through the scenario you are preparing for but hope never happens. In the end what you carry and how you carry it is up to you. If you are not practicing with your equipment as you would wear it for defensive use (concealed vs open carry) you are doing yourself and those you would defend a disservice. Personally, I love my Cowboy revolvers more than any other handguns I own but I do not have a Single Action revolver listed on my CCW.

Your last statement is a bit troublesome, carrying a loaded gun "just for fun" happens at SASS, IPSC and numerous other shooting competitions where fun is why we attend. The situation you are wanting to carry under is not "just for fun" and if you are not willing to defend your life and potentially the lives of customers and fellow employees with the firearm you are carrying you might as well go to Lowe's and get a framing hammer and hammer holster to wear on your side.

Whatever you decide to carry for defensive purposes it is my wish that you are never forced to use it.

Sorry I need to be more specific, I can only use one firearm for the qual. And all I want to do is qual with a Colt SAA to see if I can. That's it! I was never thinking about carrying for protection. I don't know why you think this has to do with a defensive situation. its purely competition amongst workers.

I understood from your initial post that this had nothing to do with CCW and was for only at your range.

I answered your questions accordingly.

Now you have a whole bunch of info that doesn't apply but we've seen a bunch of good advice from some people that know what they are talking about.

Interesting thread.

I don't know how fast you have to be with the reload. I've been able to dump 5 (in a big target), knock out 4, reload 5 and dump them in the same target in 13 seconds. The method I used was to pull three from my belt, load them, then pull two more and load them, rotate the cylinder one click and begin firing.

In matches and most other times when I load my Colts, I load from the belt using this same method. (Not the shooting, just the loading.)

I don't feel unarmed with my single actions, but they wouldn't be my first choice to carry.

Sorry I need to be more specific, I can only use one firearm for the qual. And all I want to do is qual with a Colt SAA to see if I can. That's it! I was never thinking about carrying for protection. I don't know why you think this has to do with a defensive situation. its purely competition amongst workers.

That's not what your first sentence of the opening post says. "I'm currently working at a Gun Range/Shop that requires us to qualify with our sidearms to carry them while working."

Make up your mind.

About 8 or 9 years ago I ran our departmental qualification course (PPC) with my Colt SAA. I was the last guy finished on every station except the 3 yard line with 2 3-shot strings. No reload required. The secret to fast reloads is to keep your loads light enough that you don't have to use the ejector rod. Speed depends on your manual dexterity and amount of practice.

Archived