SASS Wire Forum

Stolen gun returned to owner with warning note

Krazy Kajun

When I originally posted this thread this afternoon it was meant to be informative...not divisive. But its the Wahr and there are a lot of folks with strong opinions related to guns and this thread is a good example.

Suuurrre KK, always stirring the pot. Next you'll be cursing in French and spoutin off bout some little known JuCo football team that plays in some valley down in the Louisianna swamps! ;)

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Step away from the "koolaid". ;)

Liability is a FACT. With your mindset, you just may get to see that first hand.

BTW, the courts would/will decide what happens to your "BUTT"......NOT YOU <_<

Carry on,

LG

Oh I see now. Kalifornia is in another world and do things their way. In Texas we have responsibility, not liability, as the determining factor. :lol: :lol:

Maybe I missed something in the story.

A. Nope. You have a very good point.

Guy leaves loaded gun in car.

B. Careless and irresponsible.

Second guy takes loaded gun from car, unloads it, puts it in a sack and leaves it on the ground?

C. Do-gooder thinks leaving loaded gun unattended in a unlocked car is potentially dangerous to children in area yet he leaves the gun (although unloaded) on the owners front porch where anyone could have taken it.

And y'all are upset with the guy that left it in the car?

The assumption is if event B had not taken place then event C would not have happen. However if the gun had been taken off the porch and misused then that is another can of worms and blame. We all agree that entering another persons vehicle is not wise but it also proved how easy it is to do it undetected.

[/i]

Suuurrre KK, always stirring the pot. Next you'll be cursing in French and spoutin off bout some little known JuCo football team that plays in some valley down in the Louisianna swamps! ;)

I'll be sure and speak a little "French" to you at Cherokee this weekend!!

"Was the car parked on private property? If so the children were trespassing, where were their parents, why didn't the parents teach their kids to stay off private property?"

Similar situation to a neighborhood kid trespassing on your property and drowning in your pool. If you did not have a fence or locked enclosure around your pool, you are going to lose a lot of money! It doesn't matter that the kid should not have been on your property. It is your responsibility to ensure that dangerous things (guns, pools, dogs) are not accessible to others whether they have any business on your property or not.

The case would come down to if an unlocked car is considered a reasonable deterent to accessibility of a firearm. I'm guessing that most people would not consider it to be.

Oh I see now. Kalifornia is in another world and do things their way. In Texas we have responsibility, not liability, as the determining factor. :lol: :lol:

Has nut'n to do with PRK.

It does have to do with the real world of your actions and their liability.

LG

If you are A reszponsible gun owner then you understand that u are responsible for yor guns whether they are on yor person or not. If in a car the car should be locked and the gun out of view minmum...kk

If you are A reszponsible gun owner then you understand that u are responsible for yor guns whether they are on yor person or not. If in a car the car should be locked and the gun out of view minmum...kk

When I was growing up there was a double barrel shotgun in the corner and a 38 revolver in the dresser drawer. All the neighbors and kinfolks had a gun standing in the corner and the kids knew not to touch em. So, does that make all the ole timers IRRESPONSIBLE gun owners? never heard of a kid getting ahold of one and causing harm. It ain't the kids fault, it is the parents fault for not teaching em better. Oh, I forgot, they are too busy making a living so they can spoil the little brats with everything imaginable that the kids just gotta have nowadays. No time for the kids.

Keep your dang kids out of my car, swimming pool and off my property. Is that too much to ask? If you have no responsiblity, then I have no liability. When parents have responsibility, there is no need for my liability.

Seems common sense these days is lacking....

oh well, at least the gun owner admitted he made a mistake.

GG ~ :FlagAm:

When I was growing up there was a double barrel shotgun in the corner and a 38 revolver in the dresser drawer. All the neighbors and kinfolks had a gun standing in the corner and the kids knew not to touch em. So, does that make all the ole timers IRRESPONSIBLE gun owners? never heard of a kid getting ahold of one and causing harm. It ain't the kids fault, it is the parents fault for not teaching em better. Oh, I forgot, they are too busy making a living so they can spoil the little brats with everything imaginable that the kids just gotta have nowadays. No time for the kids.

Keep your dang kids out of my car, swimming pool and off my property. Is that too much to ask? If you have no responsiblity, then I have no liability. When parents have responsibility, there is no need for my liability.

KK said 'in the car'....didn't mention the house.

KK said 'in the car'....didn't mention the house.

Same thing. Ya don't mess with other peoples stuff without paying the consequenses. Leave it alone, or else.

Same thing. Ya don't mess with other peoples stuff without paying the consequenses. Leave it alone, or else.

No it's not.

...and of course people should not mess with other's people stuff - goes without saying.

No it's not.

...and of course people should not mess with other's people stuff - goes without saying.

Yes it is.

...no matter if it is a loaded gun or a claw hammer. In the car or in the driveway, just leave it alone.

Sure as hell don't meed to be left in a plastic bag by the door. After all, a dog may drag it off and it get all wet and start rusting. :lol: :lol:

Last night on Facebook I learned a new word: "dipshidiot." Used to describe a person who is, at the same time a dips**t and an idiot. I think this would could describe both the owner of the gun and the person who took the gun and returned it with a note.

Yes it is.

...no matter if it is a loaded gun or a claw hammer. In the car or in the driveway, just leave it alone.

Sure as hell don't meed to be left in a plastic bag by the door. After all, a dog may drag it off and it get all wet and start rusting. :lol: :lol:

No it's not.

...and I already said people shouldn't mess with other's stuff.

I just got back in town. Just let me tell where I'm coming from.... The guns in our house when I was growing up were in an unlocked closet. The ammo was there as well. My dad taught me how to handle them. We never locked our house in my home town. Later I shot in boy scouts and later became both an archery and rifle instructor...guns have been a big part of my life for what seems forever. But today things are different. We lock our doors in the city and I for one have gun safes to secure my toys and the ammo seperately. There are guns available for protection.

Let me ask a couple of questions: How would anyone feel if someone stole a gun out of an unlocked car and committed a grevious crime, or worse if a young kid that didn't have yours or my upbringing got ahold of it and accidently shot his friend. Once the gun was tracked down do you think the authorities would applaud you for leaving it in plain view in an unlocked car in your driveway?

I'm not trying to preach or change anyone. I merely echo responsibiltiy. If a gun is in a car in plain site....not good. If the car is unlocked....not good.

I think we all have to run our lives the way we want. If a person wants to count on everyone having the same ethics as we have, we need to open our eyes to the fact that that would only happen in a perfect world.

I teach multiple NRA and CCW classes for Utah and Florida and in all classes we stress that a CCW owner is responsible for his/her firearm and I think it carries over to every gun owner. If we agree to disagree then I'm ok with that....just wanted to say my piece.

Good shooting down the trail

KK

PS: The person who took and returned the items with a note should grow some kahunas....man up, if they have something to say...step up and say it to the person FTF.

PPS: Mounds-dark chocolate/no nuts Almond Joy-Milk Chocolate and almonds. The mounds remains my favorite and I wouldn't leave it in plain site in an unlocked car....it would be just too tempting.

Kk, if I took your Mounds from your car the closest thing to a note I'd leave ya would be the wrapper :)

In Florida, if you leave a Mounds bar on the seat of a unlocked car........you are going to wish someone stole it. Dark chocolate/coconut doesn't blend well with most seats.

I'll eat both Mounds and Almond Joys, but prefer the Almond Joys........almost time to buy Halloween candy. MMMM, Reeses Cups and Almond Joys.

In Florida, if you leave a Mounds bar on the seat of a unlocked car........you are going to wish someone stole it. Dark chocolate/coconut doesn't blend well with most seats.

I'll eat both Mounds and Almond Joys, but prefer the Almond Joys........almost time to buy Halloween candy. MMMM, Reeses Cups and Almond Joys.

Sun, Next time I'm down I'll bring you, Sam, Wyatt and Chance a nice big Almond Joy....that is if it makes the hour and a half drive to Ruskin.

kk

A 'friend' wouldn't do that.

A 'good' neighbor wouldn't do that.

Owner shouldn't have left gun in unlocked car, but I bet everyone of us has done just exactly that(left gun in unlocked car) , by mistake, sometime in our life. Better yet, left a firearm in a motel room, or someplace else by accident to only go back an retrieve it.

The car was parked in the owners driveway. Tell me what is the difference between an unauthorized person entering an unlocked car in the driveway and an unlocked door of the home? No difference. If someone will knownly enter an unlocked car to search and seek, they will enter an unlocked home for same purpose.

Some say the owner was 'stupid' for leaving firearm in unlocked car in driveway. Is he equally stupid for leaving firearm in unlocked home, providing there are no children living in home? OK to leave valuables around in unlocked home?

The owner of the firearm may have some shady neighbors by the evidence, just whom would be nice to know. Start looking for people that are anti-firearms minded.

Owner needs to be more aware of locking up his house, garage, car, gates and such to keep out the criminals in his neighborhood.

Sad that one has to fortify their homes now, but is reality now.

Owner seemed to take his lesson well and admits responsiblilty.

edit: I don't remember it being stated that the firearm in the car was in plan view from the outside. Was stated, that the perp knew how to unload it. Perp did his thing while owner was at home. Perp could have rang door bell and informed owner of firearm condition, that is, if it was in view from outside car. Perp could have opened door of car, hit the door lock button to lock, covered firearm with the bag that he used and then closed the door. Perp has good printing, used all caps, where did he get the sack. Had time to write out message, foolish on perps part to stand there and do all that.

In my opinion there are TWO perps in this story.

The gun owner and the one that secured the gun.

One is guilty of some form of wreckless endangerment or something similar.

The other may be guilty of some form of trespass.

I wonder what would be thought of if the knife had had its point broken off, the gun made inoperative by a sledge hammer blow and the ammo gone missing.

No note. And the junk returned to the unsecured vehicle.

I wonder what would be thought of if the knife had had its point broken off, the gun made inoperative by a sledge hammer blow and the ammo gone missing.

Yes, it's called illegal entry, burglary and grand theft.

So if I leave a claw hammer in the bed of my pickup and some one uses it to bash someone elses head in, It is my fault? And "guilty of some form of reckless endangerment, or something similar?" Let's get real here.

Guest Tennessee Stud, SASS# 43634 Life

ts, if I remember right, Freddo sleeps with the fishes, don't he?

It is a sayin' from my folks... they came from the old country. In chastisin' me... they used to refer to it often...

"Revenge is a dish best served up cold."

But this thread took a different turn... which is OK by me.

Glad to see hear from ya agin, Bama... hope to read 'nother one of them "Harley-ridin'" posts you do every now and then. Soon.

ts

You need to look up definition of 'perpetrator" = perp

So if I leave a claw hammer in the bed of my pickup and some one uses it to bash someone elses head in, It is my fault? And "guilty of some form of reckless endangerment, or something similar?" Let's get real here.

So, we've gone from a handgun in an unlocked car to a claw hammer.....not the same, but I guess you can argue anything. I'll keep my argument the same. Handguns should not be left unsecured in an unlocked car. I will continue to say that it's irresponsible to do it. Just my too scents.

KK

Archived