SASS Wire Forum

Do guns stop crimes? A good example from the old west.

Guns stop crime

Long before those studies, history records what happened when the Cole Younger gang of eight tried to hold up the bank in Northfield, Minnesota, in 1876. They were recognized by a citizen who sounded the alarm. The gang was shot to pieces by armed civilians as they exited the bank. Two were shot dead, two wounded, and Cole Younger was captured. Jesse James and his brother Frank escaped, though Jesse was wounded. It wasn’t the police but rather armed citizens who thwarted the gang’s attempt to rob the bank.

When Pancho Villa attacked Columbus, New Mexico, in March 1916 with more than 600 men, he did so in the early morning, catching everyone by surprise. Although his men damaged a great deal of property, only 17 Americans died, 8 of whom were soldiers from a nearby army post. Because the civilians were well-armed, 94 of Villa’s men were killed and an unknown number wounded, despite the surprise attack.

http://www.fff.org/freedom/fd0210e.asp

No telling how many more the Texas Tower sniper would have killed had it not been for students dragging their deer rifles out of car trunks and pinning him down. That incident is well documented and receives miniscule press. Not surprising though. <_<

I play at CAS, but I study the history of our nation seriously. Every town of the west was made of veterans of the War Between the States and the Mexican War, former soldiers who fought to expand the west and men and women brave enough to settle.

I have found no towns like Hadleyville in 'High Noon' or Firecreek (with J. Stewart).

There were guns involved in stopping many crimes in our history, but they had to be held by men and women willing to know how and when to use them. They don't teach this stuff in eighth-grade history nor is there enough of it in any gun publications.

I play at CAS, but I study the history of our nation seriously. Every town of the west was made of veterans of the War Between the States and the Mexican War, former soldiers who fought to expand the west and men and women brave enough to settle.

I have found no towns like Hadleyville in 'High Noon' or Firecreek (with J. Stewart).

There were guns involved in stopping many crimes in our history, but they had to be held by men and women willing to know how and when to use them. They don't teach this stuff in eighth-grade history nor is there enough of it in any gun publications.

Great point!!! I always thought that Hadleyville, Firecreek and that town that Clint Eastwood had everyone paint red (can't think of the movie either???) was full of BS. :) Rye

Anyone remember the movie "The Russians Are Coming" with Brian Keith and Jonathan Winters. A Russian submarine runs aground and the inhibitants run around in a panic while Winters is constantly saying "We got to get organized".

LAGO then it became HELL - High Plains Drifter

Thanks Tex, Rye :)

Anyone remember the movie "The Russians Are Coming" with Brian Keith and Jonathan Winters. A Russian submarine runs aground and the inhibitants run around in a panic while Winters is constantly saying "We got to get organized".

"Emergency, Emergency, everyone to get from street"

Jake

• 5 weeks later...

I have always believed that any mass shooting or hostage situation that lasted more than 5 minutes(barring the Texas Tower sniper, but again, they pinned him down, and it was a civilian who led the charge up the tower) was because there were no citisens carrying a gun to take him out. As far as crimes agains my person, my two philosophies have always been, for home:"the cop a block away can`t do anything against the guy who just broke down my door." And for the street, put yourself in the bad guys mind. If you know one guy is carrying and one guy is not, who are you going to go after? Now, if you know there is a strong likelyhood that one of them is carrying but you don`t know who, would you go after either? I have had anti gunners say that crooks are crazy and would go for it anyway(even more reason to carry), but I think that the "common criminal" does have a sense of self preservation.

I thought it was Paul Ford who was saying that.

And, towards the end, Keith, with the backing of the unorganized armed citizens face down the submarine commander.

I thought it was Paul Ford who was saying that.

And, towards the end, Keith, with the backing of the unorganized armed citizens face down the submarine commander.

Emeargecency! Emeargency! Everyone to get from Street.

Jake

Northfield MN, is about 2 hours drive south of me.

They hold the annual bank robbery each summer !

More people need to realize that law enforcement personnel carry firearms in order to protect themselves...not you. There's nothing wrong with that fact, but folks have to come to the understanding that they have to be willing, and able, to protect themselves and family and not rely on someone else.

I have told my story before so I won't repeat all the details.. But a little ole 22 with snake shot in it saved my life one night. Well that and some great LEO"s... By the grace of God is all that I could think of when I was safe. That was a long time ago, and to this day I still feel panic in my heart when I remember the night. Guns are for our protection, we can't expect the police to get there in time we have to be responsible too. I do think not shooting him was the best course in my case, but until you are in that postion you never understand whay protection a firearm is. It evens the score. Guns can't help it that foolish people get their hands on them.

Archived