SASS Wire Forum

Some Thoughts on EOT 2012

Got back to Phoenix late last night. When I left Phoenix last week the temperature was 114 degrees. At EOT the daytime temperatures were in the high 80's or low 90's. The 20 degree difference in temperature is noticeable. The big plus at EOT is that because of the elevation it cools off to the high 50's to low 60's at night. Perfect sleeping weather. End of weather report. When I got to the Founders Ranch the Sunday before the match the first thing I did was take the dog for a walk down the ridge that overlooks the little valley where the bays are located. The colors were eye popping! Even from a distance it was evident the props had all been repaired and repainted and there were two magnificent new permanent stage fronts. It was clear there have been lots of improvements to the range and props. End of prop report. The two warm-up matches were fun. BUT, after the warm-ups and after receiving some shooter feedback the range hands moved many of the targets to make them more hittable. They wound up with 50 clean matches in the main match out of 500 shooters which is the perfect 10% that most large matches strive for. End of target placement report. The atmosphere at the Ranch was noticeable different. Everyone was friendly and helpful and it was evident the shooters are now clearly and unequivocally the top priority. End of attitude adjustment report. The entertainment was wonderful and they had a free dinner after the opening ceremony. The closing ceremony had only a FEW thank-yous and then the Dooley gang ripped through the awards. The awards ceremony was over in record time. End of opening and closing ceremony report.

The bottom line is the Wild Bunch and the staff at Founders Ranch made it abundantly clear they are there to make sure the shooters have a great match and a great time in general. For those that have been sitting on the fence or for newbies trying to decide whether to go to EOT ignore those on the wire that say they won't go because it is a lost branch match or because they don't have the Ladies Black Powder Left Handed Lithuanian category, etc., etc. The only opinion that counts is YOURS and you don't have the basis to make an informed opinion unless YOU have been there. (This was my 12th EOT and I have attended all that have been held at Founders Ranch.) Every year people complain about the Oscars. Yet, the Oscars are the Oscars and it is the most coveted award in acting. Same with EOT. EOT is EOT. It is the one, the original, and the only World Championship of Cowboy Action Shooting. The Wild Bunch invented the game and they still know how to play it. (U.S. Grant, SASS #2, is 82 years old and he shot the match clean.)

Thanks for the reports, Larsen E!

Anyone have a pix of the new permanent props?

Wish I could have been there this year, but it just wasn't in the budget. Next year! I've always had a great time at EOT. Sure, there are always criticisms, but that is true of every match. Everything is limited by money, time, man (woman)-power and energy, and match directors everywhere make the best choices they can at allocating those efforts.

Never been to a SASS match that I haven't come away from with a grin ~

eGG

Got back to Phoenix late last night. When I left Phoenix last week the temperature was 114 degrees. At EOT the daytime temperatures were in the high 80's or low 90's. The 20 degree difference in temperature is noticeable. The big plus at EOT is that because of the elevation it cools off to the high 50's to low 60's at night. Perfect sleeping weather. End of weather report. When I got to the Founders Ranch the Sunday before the match the first thing I did was take the dog for a walk down the ridge that overlooks the little valley where the bays are located. The colors were eye popping! Even from a distance it was evident the props had all been repaired and repainted and there were two magnificent new permanent stage fronts. It was clear there have been lots of improvements to the range and props. End of prop report. The two warm-up matches were fun. BUT, after the warm-ups and after receiving some shooter feedback the range hands moved many of the targets to make them more hittable. They wound up with 50 clean matches in the main match out of 500 shooters which is the perfect 10% that most large matches strive for. End of target placement report. The atmosphere at the Ranch was noticeable different. Everyone was friendly and helpful and it was evident the shooters are now clearly and unequivocally the top priority. End of attitude adjustment report. The entertainment was wonderful and they had a free dinner after the opening ceremony. The closing ceremony had only a FEW thank-yous and then the Dooley gang ripped through the awards. The awards ceremony was over in record time. End of opening and closing ceremony report.

The bottom line is the Wild Bunch and the staff at Founders Ranch made it abundantly clear they are there to make sure the shooters have a great match and a great time in general. For those that have been sitting on the fence or for newbies trying to decide whether to go to EOT ignore those on the wire that say they won't go because it is a lost branch match or because they don't have the Ladies Black Powder Left Handed Lithuanian category, etc., etc. The only opinion that counts is YOURS and you don't have the basis to make an informed opinion unless YOU have been there. (This was my 12th EOT and I have attended all that have been held at Founders Ranch.) Every year people complain about the Oscars. Yet, the Oscars are the Oscars and it is the most coveted award in acting. Same with EOT. EOT is EOT. It is the one, the original, and the only World Championship of Cowboy Action Shooting. The Wild Bunch invented the game and they still know how to play it. (U.S. Grant, SASS #2, is 82 years old and he shot the match clean.)

Very well said!!! Spot on

LEP hit the nail on the head!! I have no doubt the wild bunch has decided to change things for the better.

I was asked for my opinion from two of the founders. Bighorn also asked what I thought. I was told more things to come next year!!

Miss Behavin' and I had a great time.

Show up next year, you won't be disappointed!

Lead Ringer

Anyone have a pix of the new permanent props?

Check out the Carolina Belle Forum. They have a thread on EOT with lots of pictures.

No Ladies Black Powder Left Handed Lithuanian category? Sheesh.

I was interested to see how the Ladies GF category came out this year after the brouhaha. Karma baby.

WOW Manatee, I use to think better of you. Karma you say, I've NEVER beat Buffy. I knew I wouldn't this year. Kinda blows your theory outta the water. I have nothing but good karma. Your post was insulting and petty. I think BJT's thread said it the best. Mine was small beans. Didn't see you post on either of them. LoL

Three woman who are very passionate about their category THIS SPORT rocked it at EoT 2012. If you fine tuned your skill for years and they took yours away you'd sing a different tune.

Larsen - well said..............my first EOT and we had a great time....as vendors and shooters.....and campers..... :D

And I especially liked meeting a bunch of new folks................ B)

We had lunch with General Grant one day, talked with Hipshot a bunch, Tex stopped by our vendor tent to see how we were doing....spent time with Lassiter and T A Chance - they were the range masters, the staff was awesome. Slipnoose and Buttercup were especially helpful ......... got to see an ole friend from back east = Lester Moore = he was helping in registration....and Misty was a whirlwind.....that girl does a great job = even with a stapled finger.... :wub:

Another words........after it is all said and done......we all make choices.....and my choice (( for me )) to go to EOT was a great one.........

I loved it.......regards..........Wolf

EOT was a very well run match, with hitable targets and well planned stages.

A must for new shooters interested in seeing how matches should be run.

Johnny Meadows

The view from my saddle was only positive. Everything went well, no problems I could see. The props were much better and there was a bunch more shade on the bays. Nice cold water was always available, brass rats were polite and careful. The targets and stages were well thought out and 100% hittable. We didn't get to get to any of the entertainment 'cause we got sick, but I heard good things about it

Our overall experience was very positive. I've sorta lost track on how many EOT's we've attended, but this was a GOOD one!

Many thanks to all of you who worked so hard to show us a good time.

WOW Manatee, I use to think better of you. Karma you say, I've NEVER beat Buffy. I knew I wouldn't this year. Kinda blows your theory outta the water. I have nothing but good karma. Your post was insulting and petty. I think BJT's thread said it the best. Mine was small beans. Didn't see you post on either of them. LoL

Three woman who are very passionate about their category THIS SPORT rocked it at EoT 2012. If you fine tuned your skill for years and they took yours away you'd sing a different tune.

I didn't post on the pre-EOT threads because I wasn't going and didn't have an opinion on that particularly passionate plea. I believed SASS would stand by their decision that a field required some more than de minimus number of shooters. They backed down. So be it.

Since the match is now over, I don't think a contest between a few individuals is adequate. That's my personal opinion and, while it may be held by others, is only a personal view. That does not detract from the very good times posted by both you and Buffy and your third competitor (who, absent a stage DQ would have been 'in the hunt').

I can now view the details of the categories on line thanks to CD Tom. In almost all cases, the depth of the field and the intensity of the competition in most categories is obvious. I'm sorry, but 3 excellent shooters in one category don't really represent the "Come one, Come ALL nature" of a World competition. The Karma involved is that you all probably would have placed very well in Ladies BW if you shot GF.

At state and regional matches in the past where the MD has decided that there were insufficient participation to warrant a category, those of us who were of a mind to shoot a special skill (such as FCGF) shot in the GF category but held our to our own unique standards for BP. It didn't lessen the fun and it was a surprise to many GF's when we placed as well as we did in their category. Perhaps that is the lesson that set my opinion in the way that it is.

My opinion only. No insult intended.

EOT was outstanding in every way. The fast shooters were there. While only my second EOT, the excitement, entertainment, friendships gained, organization, awards, and give-aways were all first class. Thanks for a great shoot and world championship. We appreciate all the effort the SASS members and volunteers went through to provide such a successful event. Thanks for going the extra mile to ensure everyone had a great time.

well said

it dont hurt nunn, when a few of us on the wire

say sumthin gud ;)

with out shooters / members / cheerleaders

what does the future hold ;)

I'm sorry, but 3 excellent shooters in one category don't really represent the "Come one, Come ALL nature" of a World competition. The Karma involved is that you all probably would have placed very well in Ladies BW if you shot GF.

First off, I did not attend EOT this year nor have I any other year and most likely won't in the future. It is simply not a good time of year for farmers to be away from home and it's clear the WB doesn't much care if they have a LGF category. That said, it does not mean that I do not care what happens with my sister Lady Gunfighters.

I do want to address your comment about simply changing to Ladies B Western. Let's see, I'd need a new gun belt and holsters, a felt hat, fancy two color boots, a scarf and who knows what else just to meet the costume requirements of the LBW category. This would need to be put together two weeks before the match! Sorry, Manatee, I don't have the $$ to pull that off at the last minute nor do I wish to keep an entire wardrobe of B Western gear on hand just in case a match director decides Lady Gunfighters don't exist.

Also, regarding your "Come one, Come ALL nature of a World competition," I hardly think 5 fills that requirement either so what difference does it make? I thought EOT was an entertainment venue and judging by many comments on this thread, they did a very good job of entertaining. I'm sure it was a lot of fun.

I agree with Rocky, and I found your comments insulting but, like you, this is just my opinion and you are certainly entitled to yours.

It's history at this point. I just hope that next year the Wild Bunch gives adequate notice on the rules for offering categories and STICKS BY THEM.

I'm not here for a pie fight, but based on the comments made before EOT, I may be the only one with stones whose willing to voice their concern with the way this category was ultimately decided upon.

This was my first time to attend EOT and had a great time. The scenarios were very good and the targets were very hittable. I enjoyed meeting a lot of new friends and visiting with old friends. I will recomend attending EOT to anyone. Thanks to the EOT staff for a great job.

Texas Gator

Senior Gunfighter

It's history at this point. I just hope that next year the Wild Bunch gives adequate notice on the rules for offering categories and STICKS BY THEM.

I'm not here for a pie fight, but based on the comments made before EOT, I may be the only one with stones whose willing to voice their concern with the way this category was ultimately decided upon.

I would strongly suspect that the WB will offer an award to any catagory that have at least one breathing entry....then perhaps throw in a couple non official catagories to keep the tar&feather crowd at bay as well.

Just saying and only thing to do now is hide and watch.

Archived