SASS Wire Forum

OPEN CATEGORY

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BUT, if you let me shoot on the move, switch to gunfighter as needed or wanted, and stoke the shotgun like we do in WB, well then, there is your incentive.

There would have to be some "qualifiers" however (i.e. at least two years in the game, etc) but that would definately make me WANT to shoot in Open.

I was in agreement with you up till that point. Why would you want to prohibit someone from shooting in an open category based on how long they've been shooting? Seems kind of arbitrary.

Like its been said- Cowboy is open except for no gunfighter style.

But I do like the idea of gunfighter in the cowboy category. For those times when it would be fun or beneficial.

I was in agreement with you up till that point. Why would you want to prohibit someone from shooting in an open category based on how long they've been shooting? Seems kind of arbitrary.

Bill, like usual, I gave this all of about 10 seconds of thought. I recant the qualifier. But a guy shows up to shoot his first match and wants to run with the big dogs, what do you tell him if there is not a strict rule? I guess we could let him go for it, but it would be bad to DQ him because he broke the 170 while moving with a cocked gun.

Let's say we forget this whole thing and go back to shooing.

No problem Dan! I'm most assuredly a new guy, just over a year now, but I do want the opportunity to 'try' to run with the big dogs! Maybe a minimum number of matches, or finishing at some minimum level in a state match or above? Or just a 'standard' stage and maximum qualifying time for new shooters? For example a 10/10/4+ stand and deliver in the teens? Just a thought.

Personally, every match I've been in I've shot from an 'open' perspective. I don't much care about my category finish, just my overall rank. I haven't finished first overall yet, but it's coming.

so what I get after reading four pages of this topic is

1-top shooters do not want to have to declare that they are shooting for overaall

2-top shooters do not want to be moved out of their cat.

3-if top shooters did move out of cat.they would like to be able to stoke the shotgun or earn money etc.

so what did I learn

1-it is ok to make a kid declare for overall but not an adult

2-it is ok to change a kids cat.but an adult is not leaving theirs unless they have chosen wisely.

3-it is ok to not shoot the same match as everyone else if your an adult top shooter,but the kids they must declare and shoot the same match or it is not fair.

Thank you to some of the top shooters that commented on this thread and making it so clear for me.

flame suit on.

Lefty Pete

p.s.Yes I am a Rattlesnake Wrangler fan.best of luck at EOT

It doesn't appear to me that you learned anything Lefty.

1. Adults do shoot the same match, some of them voluntarily chose to shoot in a category that makes it more difficult to win overall. Their choice, more power to em if they do win it all!

2. I don't believe the question of whether a kid who declares for the overall causes themselves to be ineligible for their category has been answered yet. I would hope not, see above, they've voluntarily made it more difficult to win their own category in order to have a shot at the whole ball of wax. More power to em!

3. Your final point number 3 makes no sense. It's unfair for a shooter to compete as a Wrangler/Cowboy/whatever and beat say a duelist for the overall? Your post implies that to be fair a shooter who wants to win it all has to shoot in the most difficult category, whatever that is.

I admire you for sticking up for RW, but having seen videos of him in action I suspect he's perfectly capable of kicking a$$ and taking names whether he has to knock down the KDs or not. In fact, this rule change will likely help him as it will eliminate any possibility of anyone claiming the KD rule contributed to his success.

It doesn't appear to me that you learned anything Lefty.

Me either.

2. I don't believe the question of whether a kid who declares for the overall causes themselves to be ineligible for their category has been answered yet.

If the kid "declares" he/she is still a Buckaroo/ette.

I believe someone was concerned that "declaring" would put undue hardship on said kid causing him/her to possibly forfeit a category win, at which point I spewed my beverage. Hard to be certain though, as I've done so a few times while reading the disucsion on the "clarification" and the Overall category proposal.

SASS offers amazing opportunities to a variety of styles and abilities of shooters. A shooter who selects a style of shooting is challenged and motivated by his choice. Even though a new shooter I am impressed by the variety of reasons SASS members shoot by. Some love the old guns, some love to race them and go fast, some love the dress, some strive for clean matches and most love the Cowboy way and life style. They are all recognized. SASS does a great job of meeting all of the above. I enjoy shooting in my age group and also enjoy seeing the overall scores. Wish I was faster, but need to practice more. Cody James is already shooting under the new WR rule and still loves shooting. While I don't agree with the timing of the clarification, we agree with the change. It is my hope we do not water down the categories by moving fast shooters out of them all in the interest of fairness. If you stick all the fast shooters in Cowboy/Cowgirl, what are you saying to the 17 to 35 year old shooter? The fastest in each category is a World Champion, and there is a Over-all World Champion. I am impressed by both.

Another champion is crowned out of the Top 16 which is also impacted by over-all scores. It is head to head, guns blaring, targets falling until one cowboy/cowgirl is standing regardless of category. This is one of the most thrilling competitions I have ever seen. Let's not forget about the young guns. Should they be required to jump a category to compete in the Top 16? The deserve their category wins and have the opportunity to compete in the Top 16. They shoot the same match as everyone else. Please make sure you do not thin out the categories for the sake of one award, the Overall.

We have one buckaroo that is causing all this commotion. For Christ sakes leave the issue alone.

Rattlesnake is willing to shoot any class, but has been directed to shoot the Buckaroo class. I don't understand why people

pay so much attention to something that doesn't have any effect on their shooting.

Alli Mo has come up with the most intelligent response to this thread.

Thank you Alli Mo,

Johnny Meadows

Archived