SASS Wire Forum

OPEN CATEGORY

So, are you an attorney?

I don't want to mix this thread with the current "snake" thread going on.

We have an established way of doing things now, and no, I am not saying just because we have always done it that way it's right, but at least we have some agreement on how it works for now.

I AM saying that if you are going to have an Open Catagory, there needs to be a reason for it to exist. Something that will compel the top shooters to want to be in it. So far, I don't see that in your proposal. And, it has to be more than an equipment change, or style change.

I don't have the answer to that, but from where I sit, I don't see a reason to move out of my current catagory.

Respectfully,

Dang It

Heavens no! Just a ole dumb soldier.

But allowing gunfighter in cowboy sounds like it has merit.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With the new clrification/rule, called the Rattlesnake Wrangler rule, comes a chance for the Open Category to be implemented.

Since we (SASS) have now required a certain category to make their intentions known prior to the start of the match, I ask why single out just one group??

Therefore I propose:

Anyone vying for the overall title at state of above SASS sanctioned matches must make their intentions known in advance to the match officials, AND, will be competing for OVERALL only and NOT eligible for placement in the regular categories.

If its good enough for one group, it should be good enough for all.

Just in the interest of "fairness" afterall.

respectfully,

N.C.

(flame away)

The reason they are singling out one group is because its the only group that can do things different like not engage moving targets & not have to knockdown targets .

Colt & Rattlesnake already said the way to of fix that is shoot Cowboy which is open to all ages so there you go.

I think the way overall is done is fine as is.

Many good points were brought up against idea .

AO

The reason they are singling out one group is because its the only group that can do things different like not engage moving targets & not have to knockdown targets .

Colt & Rattlesnake already said the way to of fix that is shoot Cowboy which is open to all ages so there you go.

I think the way overall is done is fine as is.

Many good points were brought up against idea .

AO

Well, gosh! I guess we ALREADY HAVE an OPEN category don't we! :o

Sparky

OK. Uncle. But, in the same vein, us old guys don't really "win" in the 2-handed, or duelist or old-fart-gunfighter categories either...do we? Yah, Two Sons is the exception to the rule. It's amazing they didn't put an addendum to the Rattlesnake rule to say that Two Sons has to carry 23 pounds handicap weight when she shoots.

The point is fellers, it really doesn't matter all that much. But, I do kinda object to not giving a buckaroo his due IF HE REALLY hits the targets. To do otherwise is to diminish every adult that shoots.

With the new clrification/rule, called the Rattlesnake Wrangler rule, comes a chance for the Open Category to be implemented.

Since we (SASS) have now required a certain category to make their intentions known prior to the start of the match, I ask why single out just one group??

Therefore I propose:

Anyone vying for the overall title at state of above SASS sanctioned matches must make their intentions known in advance to the match officials, AND, will be competing for OVERALL only and NOT eligible for placement in the regular categories.

respectfully,

N.C.

(flame away)

Just what is the purpose of this and who is it going to help? I don't see anything positive coming out of this proposal. If there is please enlighten me.

Blue Wolf

I don't think I have made it a secret that I am not in favor of an OVERALL WINNER.

You don't have to be that good a shooter to beat the times of a shooter shooting Frontier Cartridge. They are shooting a different match than the rest of us. Especially if they are shooting cap and ball.

In my opinion, the OVERALL WINNER takes the lime-lite away from some very good category shooters.

Therefore I propose:

respectfully,

N.C.

(flame away)

So then .............unless you signed up in open ya couldn't win the overall correct?

You could shoot any SASS legal gun with any powder,any sights and any shooting style you wanted on any stage?

No age based stuff with this and no funny name ?

SIGN ME UP!!!!!!!!!!!

Heavens no! Just a ole dumb soldier.

But allowing gunfighter in cowboy sounds like it has merit.

BUT, if you let me shoot on the move, switch to gunfighter as needed or wanted, and stoke the shotgun like we do in WB, well then, there is your incentive.

There would have to be some "qualifiers" however (i.e. at least two years in the game, etc) but that would definately make me WANT to shoot in Open.

BUT, if you let me shoot on the move, switch to gunfighter as needed or wanted, and stoke the shotgun like we do in WB, well then, there is your incentive.

There would have to be some "qualifiers" however (i.e. at least two years in the game, etc) but that would definately make me WANT to shoot in Open.

now THAT is what I'm talkin about !!!!!!!!!

That would be some good objective criteria for a new category.

Sparky

Open Category:

Pistols: Any two Handguns of a pre-1900 design

This would allow for the Broomhandle Mauser and a limited selection of DA revolvers.

Rifle: Any rifle of a pre-1900 design that shoots what we would today call a "pistol caliber" cartridge

In addition to the obvious Winchesters, Marlins, Colts, and other lever action guns out there, this would also allow for a few single shot rifles, (for someone who is especially adventurous) and who knows what else. Option: Allow for rifle caliber repeaters.

Shotgun: Any shotgun of a pre-1900 design in safe working order

This would allow for the 93/97, the Spencer, any any other repeating shotguns that may have existed back in the day. Would also allow for reproductions of the Marlin if the design flaw could be corrected. (Original 93's and Marlins still a no no due to safety concerns)

Pistols may be shot one or two handed, or gunfighter style at shooters discretion.

Open Category:

This would allow for the Broomhandle Mauser and a limited selection of DA revolvers.

Rifle: Any rifle of a pre-1900 design that shoots what we would today call a "pistol caliber" cartridge

In addition to the obvious Winchesters, Marlins, Colts, and other lever action guns out there, this would also allow for a few single shot rifles, (for someone who is especially adventurous) and who knows what else. Option: Allow for rifle caliber repeaters.

This would allow for the 93/97, the Spencer, any any other repeating shotguns that may have existed back in the day. Would also allow for reproductions of the Marlin if the design flaw could be corrected. (Original 93's and Marlins still a no no due to safety concerns)

Pistols may be shot one or two handed, or gunfighter style at shooters discretion.

NO!

Open Category:

I'd like to make an addendum based upon the following...

Yeah... I'd also say that repeating shotguns should be stoked as in Wild Bunch. And if you had a category where this was done, then any advantage gained from doing so would not matter, as you are only competeing against those in your category.

I've long felt that winners in individual categories should be recognized and that "overall winner" seems kind of silly. What's the point of having categories if you are gonna have a "overall" winner, epsecially of the overall winner usually comes from one or two specific ones.

And I'll bet you a dollar that if in Open Category, you allowed for stoking of shotguns, you'd have people shoot that category, but still use all other there other guns exactly as they exist in the current rules.

For the record, I don't think we need any new categories, but I see nothing wrong with discussing the possibility and putting out different ideas for them.

You never know, someone in "authority" might see such a post and decide to create a side match, or take different ideas from the thread and combine them into something special once in a while.

All this because one little kid whupped the big boys. Sounds like some government programs.

Heheheheh. Maybe something good will come out of this after all. It would be interesting to see just what would happen with an "Open" category. Any SASS legal guns, shooting style, caliber (cartridge), powder, dress, equipment. If the Grand Champion was to come from this category, it would be interesting to see just how many top shooters would give up the safety net and jump in.

Very interesting.

Snakebite

I like this idea myself.

But being I am not interested in shooting this category nor proficient enough to compete for overall honors, I have no personal interest. I would like to go ahead and publicly announce my SASS intentions.

I hereby announce my intentions to publicly spank, metaphorically speaking that is, Dash Calibers a$$ at each match I compete with him in. His and Koda Joe. Bill Burt too if he can muster the nerve to shoot the holy black with one big iron in each fist. And if Uncertain Tex wants to show up for some, well bring it!

• 2 weeks later...

Man it was so much fun when we could move and shoot.........and pretty much shoot the stage the way you wanted with the skills ya have .........thanks for the memories!!!!

Heheheheh. Maybe something good will come out of this after all. It would be interesting to see just what would happen with an "Open" category. Any SASS legal guns, shooting style, caliber (cartridge), powder, dress, equipment. If the Grand Champion was to come from this category, it would be interesting to see just how many top shooters would give up the safety net and jump in.

Very interesting.

Snakebite

This could be the best thing that SASS could ever do!! It WOULD make it VERY interesting!! :)

Rattler

Wow, I just wasted 15 minutes of my life reading this.

The ONLY reason I can find listed for the original poster to want an open catagory is to get rid of the top shooters out of the other catagories.

So since I can't beat the best in my catagory, then lets create another to get rid of them.

Maybe you have some other reason, but you never posted it. Or maybe I fell asleep half way through.

There are only a handful at each shoot that would participate in the OPEN category...which is fine. We've shot it at our club for some time. We call it MASTER GUNFIGHTER. You can shoot any style on any stage with any sass approved firearms. We did it to open categories up to others rather than the same person winning everytime. Interesting thing is that it has stepped up a lot of people's game. It is a fun competition and someone who normally shoots duelist will shoot traditional on a given stage and switch back and forth.

Just sayin

KK

There are only a handful at each shoot that would participate in the OPEN category...which is fine. We've shot it at our club for some time. We call it MASTER GUNFIGHTER. You can shoot any style on any stage with any sass approved firearms. We did it to open categories up to others rather than the same person winning everytime. Interesting thing is that it has stepped up a lot of people's game. It is a fun competition and someone who normally shoots duelist will shoot traditional on a given stage and switch back and forth.

Just sayin

KK

KK,

All well and good, but that is not enough. The timer does not lie. Traditional style shooting, in most instances, is still much faster than any other style. Gunfighter does/will have application if the targets are big enough and close enough together, but it will be rare. You have to offer more than just a change in shooting style. By allowing movement, shooting style, and stoking the shotgun, you give the high-speed, low-drag types more of what they like - adrenaline!!

KK,

All well and good, but that is not enough. The timer does not lie. Traditional style shooting, in most instances, is still much faster than any other style. Gunfighter does/will have application if the targets are big enough and close enough together, but it will be rare. You have to offer more than just a change in shooting style. By allowing movement, shooting style, and stoking the shotgun, you give the high-speed, low-drag types more of what they like - adrenaline!!

Personally I don't have a view either way for an Open Category at the state or above level as it would never apply to my abilitiy. We simply do is at our monthly matches and it's worked well.

KK

Very interesting.

Snakebite

What is this safety net ye talk of that these here fellers have a hold of??

RRR

What is this safety net ye talk of that these here fellers have a hold of??

RRR

Ray,

It is the implied "safety net" of staying in our respective catagories while trying to win High Overall instead of signing up in an Open catagory where second place would be "first loser" instead of Top 49'r (me) and first loser. You know, like South Carolina. So, if I am going to walk on the high-wire without the net, somebody better have a good reason for me to do so (at least that' my opinion).

I really, really, don't see this going anywhere, but when did that stop us talking about it?

All this because one little kid whupped the big boys. Sounds like some government programs.

And the kid is going to keep growing and getting faster and whuppin' aze for a long, long time...

Olen

Am I the only one that is getting sick of all this BS?!

:wacko:

Nope

I like this idea myself.

But being I am not interested in shooting this category nor proficient enough to compete for overall honors, I have no personal interest. I would like to go ahead and publicly announce my SASS intentions.

I hereby announce my intentions to publicly spank, metaphorically speaking that is, Dash Calibers a$$ at each match I compete with him in. His and Koda Joe. Bill Burt too if he can muster the nerve to shoot the holy black with one big iron in each fist. And if Uncertain Tex wants to show up for some, well bring it!

Dan, you know you don't want me to shoot in your category. ;) BTW I did shoot gunfighter last December, I didn't much like it, but I did finish in first place!

Archived