SASS Wire Forum

Hearing Protection

W. D. Pickett

Since most of the training I had in handguns was in law enforcement, we used the standard earmuff type of protection. What do you all use at the range and during the matches? (When in doubt ask)

Since most of the training I had in handguns was in law enforcement, we used the standard earmuff type of protection. What do you all use at the range and during the matches? (When in doubt ask)

I use insertable types, either custom silicone or foam roll ups during a match or at a range shooting rifle. If shooting only pistol I prefer muffs.

I use insertable types, either custom silicone or foam roll ups during a match or at a range shooting rifle. If shooting only pistol I prefer muffs.

... a real pair of hearing aids. They have 3 volume channels. Had 2nd channel set to cut out at 85 decibels. I hear the sound of a gun shot at low amplification but no cracks of if the sound exceeds 85

I use the custom silicone type. I got them at a gun show. I've had my pair for about 3 years. They fit, easy to clean, work well, no batteries needed, and I haven't lost them. I use them all the time. The way we use rifles and shotguns the ear muff type don't work very well. I have an electronic pair I use occasionally and like them for shooting with other people.

I think you can get custom sized electronic hearing protection. I would like a pair of them; instead I'll buy more guns.

On an outside range I use throwaway foam inserts. Shooting inside I use muffs

custom silicone fit to my ears.

Yup.

Disposable Foam Earplugs.

I use MAX foam earplugs which have a noise reduction rating (NRR) of 33. Very comfortable, easy to use, and sanitary.

I don't believe there is any other single type of hearing protection which has a NRR higher than 33.

I use a pair of Walker Game Ears mated to custom molded plugs, that way I can hear the beeper and have normal conversations without taking my earplugs in and out.

I use a pair of Walker Game Ears mated to custom molded plugs, that way I can hear the beeper and have normal conversations without taking my earplugs in and out.

sure fire makes a pair taht are non-electronic that allows normal speaking to be heard and cuts out loud noises. I have used them for a couple of matches and so far am pretty impressed with them. Im used to electronic muffs on the LE firing range as well but have been pretty impressed with these for 10 bucks. They would not do well in a shoot house but are pretty decent outdoors.

I get problems outa ANY of the insert in ear type--got inner ear problem & they irritate the dickens outa me---years ago I bought a pair of the behind ya head earmuffs---may look a little weird but ya can still wear ya stetson w/em on!!

My wife has ear issues as well, and can only wear muffs. If I ever get her to give it a try, that is what she will need to use. I wear muffs when I am not wearing a hat, disposables when I am.

Have a family audiologist made molds and had a custom set made. I have been wearing ear protection at my job for the last 28 years and the custom set is the most comfortable set I have worn. best mone I spent.

Got these from Dillon. I am very pleased with em.

http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/content/p/9/catid/21/pid/25749/?viewImg=1

Frenchy

Disposable Foam Earplugs.

I use MAX foam earplugs which have a noise reduction rating (NRR) of 33. Very comfortable, easy to use, and sanitary.

I don't believe there is any other single type of hearing protection which has a NRR higher than 33.

Ditto. They are much better and cheaper than the Sure Fire which only block sounds above 85db.

When I got my hearing aids from VA I told them about my shooting and asked if I could get the molding for protection. She not only told me yes, that she would have the silicone molds made just for me and asked what color I would like. So, I have 2 pairs at no cost thanks to VA. At home out back I use mufflers plus the silicone. That combination really shuts things down for me, especially when using the chain saw.

Custom ones that were fit at Perry Nationals. (the ones they fill your ears with) Not that expensive. You can also get your own 2 part kit and make them basically the same way.

TT

Archived