SASS Wire Forum

New Category System

My point was that the participants don't do nothing but they do pay.

And are often unable to help do any of the work as they are geographically challenged .... ie not there until match time.

I was NOT making a statement about those that put the match on.

Except now I see more attitude than I was hoping would be there.

As I expect you are one of those....

You said: "As we hear from time to time, SASS is a commercial enterprise not a .org."

I take it by what you said that the folks putting on the match are a commercial enterprise, meaning they get paid. Well yes, the partisipants pay but I don't know of any match organizers (people) that get a w-2 form. That is where I was coming from. The volunteer members that put together all the shoots do it for the love of the game.

Now, no one really expects people from far away to volunteer to help a distance match, but YOU sure could in your local. Try it!

BTW, I am assistant match director for a match 411 miles away from me.

You sir, have the attitude.

I sir, have learned alot from this experience. Everyone should experience being a MD.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You said: "As we hear from time to time, SASS is a commercial enterprise not a .org."

I take it by what you said that the folks putting on the match are a commercial enterprise, meaning they get paid. Well yes, the partisipants pay but I don't know of any match organizers (people) that get a w-2 form. That is where I was coming from. The volunteer members that put together all the shoots do it for the love of the game.

Now, no one really expects people from far away to volunteer to help a distance match, but YOU sure could in your local. Try it!

BTW, I am assistant match director for a match 411 miles away from me.

I sir, have learned alot from this experience. Everyone should experience being a MD.

Blaster, maybe if ya would slow down just a bit and reread the first line above, you might see that he was talking about SASS, not a club putting on a shoot. Just a thought.

That's some self-righteous BS, BM! Not everyone should be a MD. Most have no aptitude or interest in it. Let's cut the crap, volunteer if you want to volunteer; but the idea that it makes you holier than those who come to your shoot and pay your fee is just ludicrous.

That's the kind of of "I'm better than you because I was here working my butt off when you weren't" is exactly why some matches want for shooters and others have to turn them away.

If my money isn't enough to make me welcome, then I'll take it where it's appreciated. BTW, which match are you MD?

Blaster, maybe if ya would slow down just a bit and reread the first line above, you might see that he was talking about SASS, not a club putting on a shoot. Just a thought.

I can see your point.

I took it when a person says SASS, that includes the whole wide family of SASSS members, clubs, volunteers, shooters, mom, pop, grandpa,grandma, youngings,,,, the whole shebang.

That's some self-righteous BS, BM! Not everyone should be a MD. Most have no aptitude or interest in it. Let's cut the crap, volunteer if you want to volunteer; but the idea that it makes you holier than those who come to your shoot and pay your fee is just ludicrous.

That's the kind of of "I'm better than you because I was here working my butt off when you weren't" is exactly why some matches want for shooters and others have to turn them away.

If my money isn't enough to make me welcome, then I'll take it where it's appreciated. BTW, which match are you MD?

Point taken.

Standing down.

Just one more thought. Let's say EOT eliminates 3 categories because they are "underpopulated." When the category winners are listed in the Chronicle those categories are not listed. Now let's assume that you are reading the Chronicle and thinking about what shoots you may want to attend and you notice that your category is not listed. How likely is it that you will attend that shoot? This does not look like good marketing to me. I cannot understand how on one hand they say they want to appeal to the shooters and on the other hand they do this.

Best thing to do here is vote with your feet!

I just got the April Chronicle and always read Tex's editorial first. I know a lot of you haven't received it yet, but in his editorial he describes a new category system they are instituting at EOT this year. They will have 40 categories with a requirement that in order for a category to be "official" for this year's EOT, it has to have ten shooters (five for "protected" ladies categories and not counting kid categories) registered in that category by June 1 and no one will be allowed to switch categories after that date. Very interesting. What do you all think about the basic idea?

that was the way things were when I started

it worked then

if you need more in your catagory, to make it happen

like I did when gunfighter first started

you get on the phone / wire and recruit, it works

and perhaps a shooter that works a tadd bit harder at gettin there, might be a tuffer hombra to beat

or not?

:ph34r:

Hi Folks,

I think it is informative/interesting...that The Outlaws could not even give away their BOGO ticket to EOT. It was even available to non club members if no members wanted it. This was posted on our local Website in addition to being made known in an email I sent out.

Regards,

Allie Mo

Just one more thought. Let's say EOT eliminates 3 categories because they are "underpopulated." When the category winners are listed in the Chronicle those categories are not listed. Now let's assume that you are reading the Chronicle and thinking about what shoots you may want to attend and you notice that your category is not listed. How likely is it that you will attend that shoot? This does not look like good marketing to me. I cannot understand how on one hand they say they want to appeal to the shooters and on the other hand they do this.

Best thing to do here is vote with your feet!

eot is not eliminating three categories

the shooters are voteing with their feet already, by not signing up in those categories or recruiting their friends to attend

I personally do not want to win 1st place in the world, in !@#$% category, when I was the only one :unsure:;)

but that is just me

the madd-0ne

I do have a question on the EOT rule this year.

If you get "the call" that your category will not be allowed will you have an option to cancel and receive a full refund? What if your spouse is registered to shoot in what they consider a "real" category. Will they refund that person too?

Folks make preparations for this shoot a year in advance. Some fly others drive either by themselves or with their families or perhaps with a shooting friend to share the expense. If you're traveling with a friend to share driving and hotel expenses and you get "the call" at the last minute, will they refund your friend who now cannot afford the trip on his own? What about non-refundable air line tickets? What about the shooter who requested vacation time from his employer a year in advance and that employer will not allow him to change that schedule. He can't even do a different shoot instead.

We shot a lot of matches in the Southwest this year and they are now getting it right. :wub: I saw one person categories awarded at the Yuma Territorial Prison Breakout, High Noon in Tombstone, a Los Vaqueros 2-day Winter Range warm up, The Dusty Bunch Gathering of Posses at Casa Grande and even at Winter Range itself. Some have always done this but several have changed their policies to allow this. I saw lots of happy shooters and everyone cheered for the underpopulated category winners just as they did for the large categories.

I was reading the shooter list at Land Run in Oklahoma for next week and they have even gone so far as to divide Ladies Duelist into Ladies Duelist, Ladies Double Duelist, and Ladies Senior Duelist and these categories only had Five in all three together. I heard this match sold out for the first time this year. Perhaps they are getting it right??

Winter Range awarded a lady who was alone in her class and she got the same awesome trophy that the rest of the category winners received. This is a change in their policy. They got it right! Let's see, Winter Range had 800 shooters. EOT had how many last year?

We were at a monthly shoot with the Los Vaqueros at Tombstone, AZ, when they gave away their free EOT shoot. As I recall there were 3 posses shooting that day and they had you sign up for a drawing if you were interested in receiving the free shoot. One couple signed up. Great for them but it is interesting when you consider that EOT is only a one day drive from that area.

I know there are lots of reasons why folks do or do not attend shoots but this could possibly be one of the reasons.

All, of course, is just my humble opinion.

the shooters are voteing with their feet already, by not signing up in those categories or recruiting their friends to attend

I personally do not want to win 1st place in the world, in !@#$% category, when I was the only one :unsure:;)

but that is just me

the madd-0ne

I did not mean that EOT was definitely eliminating three categories. That was a hypothetical example of what COULD happen. Sorry if I did not make that clear.

I do have a question on the EOT rule this year.

If you get "the call" that your category will not be allowed will you have an option to cancel and receive a full refund? What if your spouse is registered to shoot in what they consider a "real" category. Will they refund that person too?

Folks make preparations for this shoot a year in advance. Some fly others drive either by themselves or with their families or perhaps with a shooting friend to share the expense. If you're traveling with a friend to share driving and hotel expenses and you get "the call" at the last minute, will they refund your friend who now cannot afford the trip on his own? What about non-refundable air line tickets? What about the shooter who requested vacation time from his employer a year in advance and that employer will not allow him to change that schedule. He can't even do a different shoot instead.

We shot a lot of matches in the Southwest this year and they are now getting it right. :wub: I saw one person categories awarded at the Yuma Territorial Prison Breakout, High Noon in Tombstone, a Los Vaqueros 2-day Winter Range warm up, The Dusty Bunch Gathering of Posses at Casa Grande and even at Winter Range itself. Some have always done this but several have changed their policies to allow this. I saw lots of happy shooters and everyone cheered for the underpopulated category winners just as they did for the large categories.

I was reading the shooter list at Land Run in Oklahoma for next week and they have even gone so far as to divide Ladies Duelist into Ladies Duelist, Ladies Double Duelist, and Ladies Senior Duelist and these categories only had Five in all three together. I heard this match sold out for the first time this year. Perhaps they are getting it right??

Winter Range awarded a lady who was alone in her class and she got the same awesome trophy that the rest of the category winners received. This is a change in their policy. They got it right! Let's see, Winter Range had 800 shooters. EOT had how many last year?

We were at a monthly shoot with the Los Vaqueros at Tombstone, AZ, when they gave away their free EOT shoot. As I recall there were 3 posses shooting that day and they had you sign up for a drawing if you were interested in receiving the free shoot. One couple signed up. Great for them but it is interesting when you consider that EOT is only a one day drive from that area.

I know there are lots of reasons why folks do or do not attend shoots but this could possibly be one of the reasons.

All, of course, is just my humble opinion.

All very good questions, please send this to SASS headquarters and let us know what they say.

KK

I agree with so many posting here, it just does not seem right... although I understand where the EOT organizers/WB are coming from (and appreciate the new efforts). As Filly has done, I will use myself as an example: I have shot FCD at EOT since '04 and prefer to do that in '12 however now that FCGF has POSSIBLY been added that could change due to not enough in category (or possibly null both categories, then what happens). If I am notified that there are not ten entries in FCD I will be forced to shoot a category, perhaps SD, FCGF, FC, or whatever, that is not really what I want to shoot at this particular match. Then my choice is to go with a different category or not attend. Not attending is certainly not what I would want to choose with vacation time calendered plus the other plans one makes, but to someone else they could easily just decide to spend their EOT money on perhaps a match or two elsewhere they had been wanting to make. Personally, I will "roll with the flow" (even if I have to shoot aganist my friend R Cobb in SD) and shoot EOT, BUT I can sure see the possiblility of someone going elsewhere. Quite the dilemma, although I understand both sides of situation, hope P Filly, myself, or anyone, does not get forced to category we would prefer not to compete in at the World Championships. I like EOT, and as I have since 2000, I plan to be there, just hope we are all pleased with what we find, and for sure less wind and sand than last year.

bb

It speaks volumes that the sanctioning body is initiating sanctioning fee charges for all state and above matches in the same year that they're refusing to sanction categories in their own event.

In my view this is a clear case of not walking your talk or even worse making rules for others that you're not willing to back up or apply to your own matches. Your example of the WR shooter was a lesson learned by the TRR the hard way 2 years prior. I know that EOT is in a rebuilding this year and can only hope that this post (thanks, Larson) goes a long way to easily avoiding (an already learned) error.

While, MM's post is accurate; it's hardly on the shooter to make sure that their competition shows up. It assumes they have the resources, time and ability to do the promoter's job who also happens to be the sanctioning body in this case.

At times, it's most appropriate for the sanctioning body/promoter to step up the game, not just to defer it to whatever may be most convenient and cost effective. That short term view is thought by many to be the main issue with SASS leadership.

All very good questions, please send this to SASS headquarters and let us know what they say.

KK

I just sent the entire thing to Misty Moonshine at the SASS office. Will see if I get a reply.

Brother King, I was at WR two years when what you mention happened. It was NOT a good thing and apparently they did learn. Happy Shooters do come back. Three cheers for Winter Range!! :)

I dunt care for this "change" one little bit!!!! Like others have said, what about those who have purchased air tickets (like I have), hotel, car rental, or whatever.

This shows a total lack of concern for shooters and the sacrifices that are made to attend EOT!

Myself I can shoot several different categories, BW, GF, FCGF, FCD, heck just about any except for some age based cats.

I want to shoot FCGF this year!

EOT needs to take a page out of other wildly successful shoots and please the shooter. Happy shooter means more shooters, repeat shooters, you get the idea.

Perhaps we need to talk to them personally,, hmmmmm

Cheyenne

lets see, air= $900, hotel=$350, car=$300, entry $200, $1750 so far...and not really happy about the changes, no good!

I did not mean that EOT was definitely eliminating three categories. That was a hypothetical example of what COULD happen. Sorry if I did not make that clear.

I knew watt ya ment

I have never had a problem with colasping categories

it makes cents in the aspect

I was 1st place, against NO-body :huh:

after all, this is a shooting competition??? right???

there are so many categories that are so close to each other

that it should work out, ;) if you really want t00 ;)

I was 1st place, against NO-body :huh:

after all, this is a shooting competition??? right???

MM, I totally disagree with this view. Let's say I'm putting on a golf tournament- no qualification- $10,000 entry and the only pros are Bubba Watson and Tiger Woods. They'll take all comers for $10k. Are you going to show?

Doubtful... you got beat by default.

Well, by the time a shooter has a chance at SASS EOT they're in it about $10k (guns, ammo, monthlies, etc. etc. etc.) and I KNOW FOR CERTAIN that unless T-bone has a heart attack, Lefty Henderson is kneecapped by 2 elves and Dragon Hill Dave is kidnapped the best I can do is 4th.

So maybe I'll go shoot GUNFIGHTER so I can kick your butt... HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH! :DB);)

Economics says to honor all catagories. Cost of prizes is less than what you bring in.

Case in point.

At a 130 person match,,,, at a far,far, away match, somewhere in the galazy. We are asking the eight registered Gunfigters if they want to switch to Senior Gunfighter, if they age base qualify. We will give out awards to three places in all catagories. Extra cost will be about $35 for the new catagory of Senior Gunfighter. Then we have one person changing catagories that has eight in it to a younger age base catagory of Cowboy which had one,,,, and we are antisipating another from even an older catagory that has eleven, to switch too, making three in the cowboy class. Results is two extra awards, cost, #23 buck. Then we offered a non official catagory to please a sector of the crowd. And additional three awards,,,, cost $35.... So at this point, the MD has about $93 extra into it. I think our take home pay for those eight extra awards will be in the green after speinding the $93. Less than $1 per shooter to make up the awards. To try to recoup the expense, we went back and combined two pages into one for the Shooters Handbook and reduced our printing cost on the shooters handbook by $25. Oh yes, the MD negociated the cost of a print shop laminating some shooters pocket cards as give aways from 50cents each to 18cents each... savings of approximate $45. So now, in theory, we are only out $23 for a antisipated 130 shooter match... approximate 18cents per head. LOL. :rolleyes:

So EOT officials.. Just tack on an extra $10 per shooter onto everyones fee and smile and give out awards.

but that is just me

the madd-0ne

Dang. We agree on something.

ok

CAS is a shooting competition

EOT is the world championship of that competition

..............is this what sum folks are sayin...............

I want to compete to see how I place in the "world standings"

yet I want them to provide a category of ONE (where was the competition in that"

yikes

what am I missing

save all the time-engery-money of going

and "why not" JUST go to the local trophy shop

and git what ya want thatta way

i AM CONFUSED

once again :lol: :lol: :lol:

ok

yet I want them to provide a category of ONE (where was the competition in that"

yikes

what am I missing

i AM CONFUSED

Oh Grasshopper!!! Where have you been hiding?

You are definitely swimming up the current on this topic.

But I agree with you.

ok

yikes

what am I missing

i AM CONFUSED

I guess I'm with Mike. I must be missing something. Am I getting this picture wrong? "World Champion" shooter is out at the local range practicing. A new prospective shooter comes up and starts asking questions about SASS and notices the "World Champion" buckle and says "WOW a World Champion. How many shooters did you have to beat to win that buckle." "World Champion" shooter responds, "no one, I was the only one in my category so they gave me the buckle." If we are going to eliminate the competition aspect of SASS then we really don't need any categories. Everyone can just shoot whatever they want and everyone should go home happy. A couple of months ago there was an editorial and a lot of discussion on the wire about SASS Champions not getting the respect they are due. How does giving a "World Championship" to someone that had no competition advance that goal? This whole issue about categories is a tough issue and gets discussed at every TG meeting. At least the Wild Bunch is trying something to address the issue. The matrix with collapsing categories has been discussed a lot so this idea really isn't totally new. Perhaps they should have given more notice and the short notice has raised a lot of resentment and concerns. However, going back to the original question, does the basic concept have merit?

I'm a nobody who's opinion is probably not worth the electrons used to post this, but.....

If I were a 2 mile runner in the Olympics, I'd be pretty pi$$ed if they told me that I was going to have to run the 400 meter because no other 2 milers showed up. <_<

I shoot duelist. I'm 47. So if no other duelists showed up, I've got to shoot Wrangler (i.e. "two handed")?

I understand the argument of giving a World Champion buckle to a party of one. How about an alternative? "No buckle will be issued to any category with no more than so and so many entries." :rolleyes:

If I paid the amount of money to attend EOT and was told that I could not shoot my category because not enough people signed up, I'd want my money back, reimbursement for my un-refunded expenses, and they'd never see my smilin' face there.....ever.

I may be in a minority, but while I do try my dangest to be competitive, I don't shoot SASS to win buckles.....and if I ever get the chance to got to EOT, I will be there for the experience of shooting a great shoot.....not to win a buckle. But to offer and regulate the styles of shooting as SASS does and then to say "Sorry, you can't shoot that way here" at EOT, to me at least, is wrong.

But then again, that's just me.....and nobody really cares anyway.....at least those who have the power to make the rules.

Chick

I'm a nobody who's opinion is probably not worth the electrons used to post this, but.....

If I were a 2 mile runner in the Olympics, I'd be pretty pi$$ed if they told me that I was going to have to run the 400 meter because no other 2 milers showed up. <_<

I shoot duelist. I'm 47. So if no other duelists showed up, I've got to shoot Wrangler (i.e. "two handed")?

I understand the argument of giving a World Champion buckle to a party of one. How about an alternative? "No buckle will be issued to any category with no more than so and so many entries." :rolleyes:

If I paid the amount of money to attend EOT and was told that I could not shoot my category because not enough people signed up, I'd want my money back, reimbursement for my un-refunded expenses, and they'd never see my smilin' face there.....ever.

I may be in a minority, but while I do try my dangest to be competitive, I don't shoot SASS to win buckles.....and if I ever get the chance to got to EOT, I will be there for the experience of shooting a great shoot.....not to win a buckle. But to offer and regulate the styles of shooting as SASS does and then to say "Sorry, you can't shoot that way here" at EOT, to me at least, is wrong.

But then again, that's just me.....and nobody really cares anyway.....at least those who have the power to make the rules.

Chick

A competitor CAN shoot one-handed (duelist) in any age base catagory if they so choose.

Yep, they should give money back if they offered a catagory but then decided there were not enough shooters and canceled.

I suppose if a 400meter sprinter was the only one that signed up for the Olympics and was placed in the 2miler event, they should allow him to run and if he only choose to run the first 400meters and get timed, he could claim he was the world champion. He would have been the world champion anyway if he was the only 400 meter runner. He could come off the blocks, then walk the last 350 meters and still claim the Gold.

This whole argument against honoring all sanctioned categories because a victory is somehow hollow if you didn't kill Goliath is a straw- man argument. That assertion's highest value is to underscore what the membership has been saying for quite some time: The category system is a wreck that can not be maintained. The very idea that sanctioned categories may not be offered due to lack of participation is ludricrous.

How can SASS as a sanctioning body possibly be taken seriously?

In my view, only by either 1) changing the system immediately or 2) honoring the system in place until that system is changed proactively to insure that the sport isn't sullied by disregarding those who may be pioneering new areas of competition under the rules. For example: One woman shooting FCGF. Her lack of competition is only due to her competitiion not having enough confidence in their preparation.

You ask, "What do we gain by being alone on the field?" I'd say we gain courage by example. :FlagAm:

The bigger question is, "What do we lose when we dis-courage?" :ph34r:

This whole argument against honoring all sanctioned categories because a victory is somehow hollow if you didn't kill Goliath is a straw- man argument. /quote]

then I am a straw man

we have been trying to change the category system for a long time

no one cud git er done

not even the wire

kill goliath

yer a funny man

it is hollow to beat NO-one in a comptetion (as is now)

but thats only the view from my saddle

:huh::lol::wacko::lol:

ps

every year we hear

we need a new category

every year we never give up an old one

just what is a feller to doo :o :o :o

it just might make sence to have a minimum #

What about this thought. So this year we do not have any LFCGF & potentially LFCD because they would not recognize the class, how many other women do you think will sign up for it next year knowing in the back of their mind “I will probably have to change so I might as ewll sign up for xxx class now”. But if they have the class all be it maybe just 1 (yes me) next year there might be a couple more that will say I should do that too.

Why get rid of it before it has a chance. I know you Madd Mike like FCGF well why shouldn’t I? do you think that I would just go out there and just not care and say well I am going to win anyway so who cares how I do? NO! No matter how many I have to shoot with I go out and do my best. Anyone that has shot with me knows that. I would love to have a large class but with black that just does not happen in the women’s catagories. I wish that it was different. But getting rid of the category is not going to help get more women shooting, and I do not just mean black, I mean period. You discourage the woman and the man will usually follow. Now instead of 1 leaving it is 2, how does that benefit anyone?

Painted Filly

Why get rid of it before it has a chance. I know you Madd Mike like FCGF well why shouldn’t I?

Painted Filly

I was a gunfighter, plain old gunfighter once apon a time

in that story of old

you needed 5 or more to have a category, locally or what ever

guess what

I promoted the gunfighter class

did what ever it took to make the number requred

I took duelist, and showed em the potential lite

there aint nothin wrong with working for what you truely believe in

true story by the way

I dont want to win FCGF at world championship against NO-body

I am the currently 2nd in the world in that cat

and yess there were more than two of us, in the cat, last year

true-fact

but as always

mileage will vary

I will go shootin with or without, girls / women

geeeeese

So maybe what SASS needs to do for next year is get rid of all the catagories that do not have 5 participants in them this year at EOT. That is what ya get when everyone wants all the catagories in the first place to please everyone with their own catagory.

How can SASS as a sanctioning body possibly be taken seriously?

My question is how can SASS be taken seriously when they give out World Championships

to categorys with just one or two shooters in it.

How can someone take it seriously when they come to see a monthly match and they got

30-35 shooters ALL winning first place in there category. :blink:

Thats how come SASS is not taken seriously.

Dang. We give out buckles and awards like they are candy.

It just takes away there whole meaning.

JMHO.

Al, SASS events may give out awards like candy but CAS is an entertainment activity.

Not many feel good about spending money to go to a competition and shoot against perhaps more than hundred shooters and get nothing.

That is what could happen if all categories were done away with. But then again EOT or WR might simple wither on the vine.

What is the meaning of being a competitor and practice etc and compete and get nothing because there are cheapskates out there that don't want to have to make up a bunch of buckles or other awards that recognize competitors for their efforts and accomplishments at a match. Yes I know that I am turning a blind eye to the possibilty that a category may have only a few shooters.

Unless the format of EOT or WR changes to be an invitational match of state/regional/non-US national champs by category, both events must accept what choices the shooters make. Thusly recognizing their participation and competition.

A competitor CAN shoot one-handed (duelist) in any age base catagory if they so choose.

Blastmaster, I wondered about that when I read it in Tex's article. That was the way interupted it. It Looks to me that I can shoot Cattle Baron Duelist. I like that, as I would not need to drop down to Senior Duelist. Hope this takes off and all clubs jump on the wagon. It is patterned along the line of the Huntsman World Senior Games.

Crosscut Jack

Crosscut,

You can shoot duelist in the cattle baron class against the other cattle baron's that are shooting 2 handed. It will not be a duelist class. If you want to shoot against other duelist's then you will want to shoot in Senior duelist.

Wanted to make sure that you were awware of this.

Painted Filly

Al, SASS events may give out awards like candy but CAS is an entertainment activity.

Not many feel good about spending money to go to a competition and shoot against perhaps more than hundred shooters and get nothing.

That is what could happen if all categories were done away with. But then again EOT or WR might simple wither on the vine.

What is the meaning of being a competitor and practice etc and compete and get nothing because there are cheapskates out there that don't want to have to make up a bunch of buckles or other awards that recognize competitors for their efforts and accomplishments at a match. Yes I know that I am turning a blind eye to the possibilty that a category may have only a few shooters.

Unless the format of EOT or WR changes to be an invitational match of state/regional/non-US national champs by category, both events must accept what choices the shooters make. Thusly recognizing their participation and competition.

The entertainment is there buckle or not.

But being World Champion should mean something.

And not just I was the only one.

You still get to shoot and have all the other fun with you friends.

So the entertainment is still there.

Heck if you want a buckle without really meaning anything. I can send you a box full.

Archived