SASS Wire Forum

LOADING SHOTGUN ON THE MOVE?

Jacknife

It has been mentioned in another post that some clubs do not allow loading the shotgun on the move, as allowed by SASS rules. Course the clubs have the opportunity to disallow it if they so choose.

Was just wondering how many clubs do not allow this and the reason behind disallowing it.

Not wanting to start a mud slinging contest, just looking for honest answers. :D (if that is possible here) :lol:

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Say you've loaded your double and while moving and you then trip..............

Cheyenne

It has been mentioned in another post that some clubs do not allow loading the shotgun on the move, as allowed by SASS rules. Course the clubs have the opportunity to disallow it if they so choose.

Was just wondering how many clubs do not allow this and the reason behind disallowing it.

Not wanting to start a mud slinging contest, just looking for honest answers. :D (if that is possible here) :lol:

As far as I know, no matches run by the Dooley Gang allow loading on the move. At one of their shooting schools they said they had seen an AD when someone fell while loading on the move.

Randy

Say you've loaded your double and while moving and you then trip..............

Cheyenne

As far as I know, no matches run by the Dooley Gang allow loading on the move. At one of their shooting schools they said they had seen an AD when someone fell while loading on the move.

Randy

Bingo.

Had it happen to me a few years ago. Long way from one SG location to the other. Thought I could go ahead and

load on the move while on the way. Down I went about 3/4's of the way there.

Thank goodness I did not get the shells in because the gun did end up shut. And when going down. You may not

keep it pointed down range. I could have taken someone out.

After that. I agree with there rule.

"Plant Before Ya Poke"

Randy

What failure mechanism allowed the shotgun action to close and the firing pin to strike the round during the shooter's fall? If folks understood that process it would sure keep the discussion civil.

What failure mechanism allowed the shotgun action to close and the firing pin to strike the round during the shooter's fall? If folks understood that process it would sure keep the discussion civil.

In my case it was 100% my fault. I tripped. Lost control of the gun and it shut when it hit the ground.

When I fall. I don't go down easy. Never have. I grab and fight it the whole way down.

But when you are falling *&%$ happens. :blink::wacko:

The "failure" most likely is shooter having shooting hand still on the grip (most of us do) and PULLING the trigger as he hit the ground, and after the gun had closed enroute.

AN OPEN SHOTGUN IS COCKED. If yer EVER falling, let go of the shotgun wrist, period! Sure, hang onto the front end, do yer best to keep the muzzle away from your face and downrange or up in the air (I have fallen with a rifle, and IT never touched the ground, I just held it up and used my other hand to break my fall), but if ya let go of the back half of the gun, it MOST LIKELY will not close, and almost certainly will not fire if the triggers ain't pulled. That is assuming yer sears are any good.

If it is a hammerless gun and not tricked up if it closes the safety goes on. If it is a 97 you really have to be a hard luck person to have it go off. The only one I see being a problem is my TTN. If it closes and the hammer falls from what ever the cause, it is going off. I will pull the shells on the run and load it when I get there. What say you.

I figure thit iffn I can load on the run, then I taint runnin fast enuff...course I shoot a dbl, 97 is a little easier to slap one in while moving,,,,tho what would it save you in time....?

Cheyenne who likes plant and poke,, Culpepper

If it is a hammerless gun and not tricked up if it closes the safety goes on. If it is a 97 you really have to be a hard luck person to have it go off. The only one I see being a problem is my TTN. If it closes and the hammer falls from what ever the cause, it is going off. I will pull the shells on the run and load it when I get there. What say you.

The vast majority of us have had the safeties disabled on our hammerless 2rows. They either don't work at all or are modified to manual only. I would never rely on any safety anyways. The only real safety is yer brain. And keepin' yer booger hook off the bang switch until ready to squeeze it.

In my case it was 100% my fault. I tripped. Lost control of the gun and it shut when it hit the ground.

When I fall. I don't go down easy. Never have. I grab and fight it the whole way down.

But when you are falling *&%$ happens. :blink::wacko:

Did your shotgun go off or just have the action closed? If gun fired, was your finger on the trigger?

Bingo.

Had it happen to me a few years ago. Long way from one SG location to the other. Thought I could go ahead and

Thank goodness I did not get the shells in because the gun did end up shut. And when going down. You may not

"Plant Before Ya Poke"

Did your shotgun go off or just have the action closed? If gun fired, was your finger on the trigger?

No. It did not go off. I dropped it on the way down.

But the point is. %$#@ happens when you are falling. You might not have your finger on the trigger.

Until you start down. Then you may be grabbing at anything. Including gripping your gun harder.

But that is how my main club I shoot at runs it. And I approve of it. I also don't load on the move when

anywhere else either. I plant before I poke.

If your club lets you. Great.

You guya must trip alot is all I can gather.

I don't remmeber ever seeing someone do a face plant while negociating a stage. Wait there was one tripping one, read below.

I did see a pard about 5 years go down with a long gun, do a complete roll over, maintain perfect control of longgun, never even came close to sweeping anyone, rolled back up onto his feet and continued on. Amazing

Perhaps you guys should run backwards, I have never tripped running backwards to my right like most stages are ran. LOL. & just saying.

Yes, we run and gun and reload on the move around here. I tend to place shell on carrier about two steps out from the plant of foot spot. My friend who shoot a sxs places two in about two paces from plant the foot postion. I run backwards, he runs forwards, I am left handed he is right handed.

11. Safe conditions of firearms during a course of fire are as follows:

Shotgun- Safe for movement shotgun in hand only

• Action open, round in chamber or on carrier (i.e., loaded, reloaded, whatever - my comment)

Above from the current SASS ROII manual. Fine to reload on the move as long as the action stays open. Close the action on the loaded rounds and the high school basketball traveling rule applies. I have never shot anywhere that does not follow that practice, which is consistent with SASS rules.

Here the thing - if you shoot at a club that allows the SASS rule regarding loading on the move, you're kinda screwed when you show up at one that doesn't. Whereas if your club doesn't allow the loading on the move then you're good to go no matter where you shoot. I HATE this inconsistancy! Guess folks should simply just no longer load on the move...or maybe folks should simply make sure that they keep their guns pointed in a safe direction.

There are a lot of "What ifs" and we can add a sh**load of restrictions to this game if we allow our imagination to run wild.

:mellow:

11. Safe conditions of firearms during a course of fire are as follows:

Shotgun- Safe for movement shotgun in hand only

• Action open, round in chamber or on carrier (i.e., loaded, reloaded, whatever - my comment)

Above from the current SASS ROII manual. Fine to reload on the move as long as the action stays open. Close the action on the loaded rounds and the high school basketball traveling rule applies. I have never shot anywhere that does not follow that practice, which is consistent with SASS rules.

Think we all know the SASS rule.

We are talking about clubs that have there own club rules.

Which is allowed by SASS.

The Plant Before You Poke Rule is at the Bar 3 and will be in effect at the Southwest Regional and SASS Senior Games.

It is printed in the shooters book and is mentioned in the safety meeting.

Guest Cinch, SASS#29433

So are you telling us how nimble you are?

Firing pins can hang and its really possible in a double gun :blink:

One time while shooting in 6 inches of snow I had shot my pistols, rifle and was running to shoot the shotgun. I had thrown one on the carrier and then somehow slipped on the wet snow, slid 5 or 6 feet and stood up to shoot. The action had closed from one of those scientific forces and all I had to do was pull the trigger and load again. I finished the stage and went to the unload table where unbeknownst to anyone I found that my left revolver was gone. It took several minutes to find it under the snow. Stuff Happens!!

Since then I always load as I get to the last step and don't seem to lose much time. I don't do a whole lot of tripping and have fair dexterity compared to Blastmaster :P

Bingo.

"Plant Before Ya Poke"

I was right there :blink: I went in the opposite direction!!

Let's say you are shootin' a '97, load on the run stumble and close the action with finger on trigger...BANG!!! Not Safe to load on the run!! IMHO

Here the thing - if you shoot at a club that allows the SASS rule regarding loading on the move, you're kinda screwed when you show up at one that doesn't. Whereas if your club doesn't allow the loading on the move then you're good to go no matter where you shoot. I HATE this inconsistancy! Guess folks should simply just no longer load on the move...or maybe folks should simply make sure that they keep their guns pointed in a safe direction.

There are a lot of "What ifs" and we can add a sh**load of restrictions to this game if we allow our imagination to run wild.

:mellow:

Agree that it can cause problems for those not use to it. And when I am a PM at Comin At'Cha. And we have a stage with

SG movement. I also try to remind those that are new there, about the rule when going over the stage.

Really I don't care one way or the other. After I had my little fall. (busted my butt) I am planting before I poke.

But if your club allows it. I am great with that also.

But I also know. That if I owned a range. And watch someone have a AD when falling and loading on the move.

Just about taking out some people on the posse. I would have a plant before you poke rule at my range also.

Around here, it is allowed to load on the move. I got no problems with that. As I am left handed, shoot a double and much movement with a shotgun is left to right, it's dang near impossible for me to do, so I just pull the shells and have them at the ready. On stages where it works out for me to load on the move, sometimes I do. Then again, I am not running, I'm more of a slow mosey kind of cowboy.

Elsewhere, it is not allowed, it's plant then poke. I got no problem with that either. They make the rule well known before hand and remind shooters of it at the shooters meeting, and posse marshals also remind you before the first stage.

What percent of the clubs use different rules than SASS in this area? How many big shoots do not allow loading a shotgun while moving different than SASS rules? I believe most of the regionials, WR and EOT follow SASS rules. What about state championships, do they follow SASS rules in this area or deviate?

I was right there :blink: I went in the opposite direction!!

Let's say you are shootin' a '97, load on the run stumble and close the action with finger on trigger...BANG!!! Not Safe to load on the run!! IMHO

What happens if you fart while loading?

Seriously, how deep are we going to go in the imagination department?

All the matches that have been run over the kazillion years of SASS where the load on the move is okay and yet the rules aren't good enough????

OY!

:FlagAm:

Guest Cinch, SASS#29433

What happens if you fart while loading?

OY!

:FlagAm:

I keep a propane torch in my cart for that!!

What percent of the clubs use different rules than SASS in this area? How many big shoots do not allow loading a shotgun while moving different than SASS rules? I believe most of the regionials, WR and EOT follow SASS rules. What about state championships, do they follow SASS rules in this area or deviate?

Have seen it in Texas, Kansas, Illinois. More than just a local thing.

And know it is in effect at the Southwest Regional. (2011 SASS Match Of The Year)

Not going to debate it with you. If you don't want to shoot them don't.

Have seen it in Texas, Kansas, Illinois. More than just a local thing.

And know it is in effect at the Southwest Regional. (2011 SASS Match Of The Year)

Not going to debate it with you. If you don't want to shoot them don't.

Not debating, just trying to understand. At those clubs with a unique rule on shotgun loading on the move, do those facilities allow other shooting sports to allow loading on the move, such as pistol matches, modern 3 gun matches or it just a CAS rule? for example, at the facility that hosts the Southwest Regional, do they have other shooting sports there and do they allow loading guns on the move or is the limitation on loading on the move only for cowboy shooters?

Not debating, just trying to understand. At those clubs with a unique rule on shotgun loading on the move, do those facilities allow other shooting sports to allow loading on the move, such as pistol matches, modern 3 gun matches or it just a CAS rule? for example, at the facility that hosts the Southwest Regional, do they have other shooting sports there and do they allow loading guns on the move or is the limitation on loading on the move only for cowboy shooters?

The range is T-Bones back yard.

Only club that shoots there is SASS.

Can't say on the other places I have seen it.

It isn't safe because you are not loading it correct on the run. Shoot your 97---Do NOT eject the shell, load 2 in the mag on the move. Perfectly safe--- then eject the empty and fire AFTER comming to a stop and setting feet at the next position. :)

It isn't safe because you are not loading it correct on the run. Shoot your 97---Do NOT eject the shell, load 2 in the mag on the move. Perfectly safe--- then eject the empty and fire AFTER comming to a stop and setting feet at the next position. :)

You must not know how a 97 works, as in what effort and what all needs to happen to close the action of the 97.

Not loading it correctly? Either the SG shell goes through the port aligned forward or not. Action is still open till you work the slide.

I run with SG in one hand and weak hand has a fist full of shells.

Edit: Isn't having an empty in the 97 chamber and then loading two more in mazagine a violation? Meaning, you would have three in the gun and SASS only allows you to load a maximum of two. Penalty would be a MS or a P. Which?

Archived