SASS Wire Forum

Illinois Concealed Carry?

Curley Fryes

We're getting closer!!!

March 06–SPRINGFIELD, Ill. — Illinois could be getting closer to joining Missouri and the rest of the nation in allowing concealed carry of handguns.Legislation that would allow Illinoisans to legally carry concealed handguns passed an Illinois House committee today and is headed to the House floor for debate. “We look kind of silly being the only state not to have it. It works very well, the 49 other states prove it every day,” said state Rep. Donald Moffitt, R-Galesburg. Under the legislation, anyone 21 years of age or older who has a Firearm Owner’s Identification Card would be eligible to apply for a concealed carry permit. Rep. Brandon Phelps, D-Harrisburg, the sponsor, estimates the permit would cost around $100. Phelps pointed to Wisconsin, which passed a concealed carry law last summer. “They sold 67,000 permits the first week,” Phelps said. When a similar bill got voted down in the House last year, Gov. Pat Quinn was very vocal in his opposition to conceal and carry legislation. “The concept of concealed, loaded handguns in possession of private citizens does not enhance public safety,” Quinn said in a Post-Dispatch article last May. “On the contrary, it increases danger for everyday people. “ The legislation, HB5745, passed the House Agricultural committee 11-1.

Read more: http://www.sportsmenvote.com/news/conceal-and-carry-legislation-moves-forward-in-illinois/#ixzz1oRTKhKpG

Good luck to you in the land of Lincoln.

“The concept of concealed, loaded handguns in possession of private citizens does not enhance public safety,” Quinn said in a Post-Dispatch article last May. “On the contrary, it increases danger for everyday people.

Of course statistics do not indicate this but why let truth get in the way of anti gun hysteria? :rolleyes:

It has been publicly suggested by some that if we could somehow separate "Chicago" from downstate Illinois in the application this law, it could achieve passage. Otherwise, it appears that there are still just too many "anti" votes from that area to ever allow it. Unfortunately, creating that separation leads to a bunch of other problems, not the least of which is how we determine which counties, cities, whatever, are covered by the law, and which are exempt. This is a giant can of worms...does Curley Fryes up in Carol Stream get left out because he's from "Chicago?" (More than a few downstaters see "Chicago" as anything north of Joliet and east of Aurora). I don't really want it to come to that.

Opinions?

CS

It always comes as a shock that the World Shooting and Recreational complex, probably as fine a shooting installation as anywhere in the US. is not only located in Illinois but also supported by the State.

It's a puzzlement!

It has been publicly suggested by some that if we could somehow separate "Chicago" from downstate Illinois in the application this law, it could achieve passage. Otherwise, it appears that there are still just too many "anti" votes from that area to ever allow it. Unfortunately, creating that separation leads to a bunch of other problems, not the least of which is how we determine which counties, cities, whatever, are covered by the law, and which are exempt. This is a giant can of worms...does Curley Fryes up in Carol Stream get left out because he's from "Chicago?" (More than a few downstaters see "Chicago" as anything north of Joliet and east of Aurora). I don't really want it to come to that.

Opinions?

CS

Carol Stream is not even in the same county as Chicago. So, I'm safe!

It always comes as a shock that the World Shooting and Recreational complex, probably as fine a shooting installation as anywhere in the US. is not only located in Illinois but also supported by the State.

It's a puzzlement!

1. WSC makes money for the state and local economy - during the trap shooting Grand American every one of the 1000 campsites is full, taxes are paid on anything sold at the vendors, stores and restaurants in area have tons of business, etc.

2. As I understand it, a good bit of the development costs were paid for by the Trap Association, and it brought work & money to an economically weak area. Some are surprised to learn that credit for the development goes to Joel Brunsvold, a Democrat, who was head of the DNR at the time. Joel was a next-door neighbor of my parents for many years, and a Downstate Democrat, who regularly shot trap & skeet.

3. WSC is 325 miles or so south of Chicago, and even a couple of hours south of the Capitol in Springfield...too far south for most of the anti's to be concerned with - yet!

CS

I haven't been "part" of Chicago for over forty years, since I moved out to Streamwood but, I'm still in "Crook County" and it drives me nuts. Can't move; family and grandchildren depending on me here; they live with me.

Opinions?

CS

"I haven't been "part" of Chicago for over forty years, since I moved out to Streamwood but, I'm still in "Crook County" and it drives me nuts. Can't move; family and grandchildren depending on me here; they live with me."

Exactly! When I saw the quote in today's paper, the first thing that came to mind was how all the fine folks from your area whom we've met in CAS might be affected. Basically, a sponsor of the bill was quoted as saying that "Chicago" might never have CC, but he thought that those in favor of the bill might have enough of a coalition this time to pass it...unless they somehow separate that part of the state from the rest, you can't have both halves of that quote in operation at the same time!

CS

I am not holding my breath. Too damned many Chicago Democrats to run interference for Quinn. Plus, if it does pass, this puss bucket WILL Veto it....

I hope that all the Chicago Dems come down with the creepin' crud on the day that the vote comes up...

Unfortunately, creating that separation leads to a bunch of other problems, not the least of which is how we determine which counties, cities, whatever, are covered by the law, and which are exempt. This is a giant can of worms...does Curley Fryes up in Carol Stream get left out because he's from "Chicago?" (More than a few downstaters see "Chicago" as anything north of Joliet and east of Aurora). I don't really want it to come to that.Opinions?CS

Actually, it would be relatively easy to do. There are literally hundreds of laws on the books that all start out, "...the County Board of a county with 3,000,000 or more inhabitants may by resolution... It wouldn't be that hard as there's only one county in Illinois with that many inhabitants...Cook. Nobody else even has 1,000,000. If it's good enough for other laws why can't it be good enough for gun laws?

Here's the simple truth, the Illinois State Rifle Association in conjunction with the NRA refuses to compromise on the issue. Rather than get a "toe hold" into concealed carry they insist on an "all or nothing" stance which doesn't have enough votes. Normally, a simple majority of 60 votes in the House of Reps is enough to pass a bill. The leaders (i.e. Mike Madigan)has decreed it takes a super-majority of 71 votes to pass concealed carry. Last time they got 70 votes but fell one short. 30 out of 32 Chicago Democratic Reps voted no. Close, but until the bill's sponsors can get a "veto-proof" number of votes it isn't going to happen. :angry:

I am not holding my breath. Too damned many Chicago Democrats to run interference for Quinn. Plus, if it does pass, this puss bucket WILL Veto it....

I hope that all the Chicago Dems come down with the creepin' crud on the day that the vote comes up...

Sarge, I like the way ya speak yer mind.:)

Rye

Being born in Chicago and livin' in the area all my life, even though I'm only 30 miles west of the city now, it's a different world in Chicago. I say make Chicago not only separate from Illinois, but from the whole country. Call in Chicago, N.A. (North America).

$100? How many years do you get to carry for $100?

Mine is $10 for 4 years, and if you apply to day after your birthday, you get 5 years (but you can't carry on the day you fill out the app and 10 days after that).

I've held a New Hampshire non resident permit for ten or twelve years now. It filled in some of the holes that my Tennessee permit didn't cover. When I received my renewal form this time the fee had been increased to $100.00, up from the $20.00 fee of the past. In the last few years the Tennessee permit has become more widely accepted and the New Hampshire fee has gone up by five times. Needless to say I'll ,sadly, not renew my NH permit this time. :o

Sarge, if even death can't stop 'em, the creepin' crud won't either....

Sarge, if even death can't stop 'em, the creepin' crud won't either....

Death allows them to vote multiple times....

I swear that Adlai Stevenson is still voting....

Death allows them to vote multiple times....

I swear that Adlai Stevenson is still voting....

Several times each election, I believe... "Vote Early, Vote Often"

CS

Archived