SASS Wire Forum

Club address / GPS

Gawd Awful

In this modern time of Mapquest, Google maps, and GPS why don't more clubs list exact address and GPS coordinates?

I have shot at dozens of clubs in the NW area WA, OR, ID. And have recently moved to the PHX area. In my travels I have been fustefated by club websites that list no address, or an address to the house of the club president, or a picture of a map from google earth, a hand drawn map of the approximate area, or even a few clubs that simply saw we shoot at the ----------- gun club in---------city with. O address or link as to the gun clubs website. There are 2 major well known shoots I have been looking at attending who's website don't say anything about where they are actualy held!

One time I drove from Portland OR all the way to Boise ID to go to a club I never could find. The website listed a road in the middle of nowhere with no directions beyond that point.

My question is why more clubs don't just list the specific address where they shoot and the GPS coordinates for the entrance to the range? I am sure it would be an easy thing to add to a website and make it easier for people from out of town to find. A drawn map showing local landmarks is great for people from the area, but how is someone from WA supposed to figure out a map like that in central FL????

I shot with a great club recently who's match is held off a forest road, the website has a map showing APPROXIMATLY where the road is, and after 3 wrong turns and some help from a gentalman at a model air plane club we found the range, but it would have been much easier if the club listed the GPS coridinates for the entrance/forest road.

It's one I those simple things that would help so many people.

Well, here's one reason. Our range is in the middle of no-where (no specific address) so GPS makes sense. Except that when you plug in the GPS coordinates, it will bring you in from the wrong direction, over a less-than improved road. If the weather is poor, you can't make it in on that road and there's no one around to help.. We'd rather not lose anyone who wants to shoot with us.

Well, here's one reason. Our range is in the middle of no-where (no specific address) so GPS makes sense. Except that when you plug in the GPS coordinates, it will bring you in from the wrong direction, over a less-than improved road. If the weather is poor, you can't make it in on that road and there's no one around to help.. We'd rather not lose anyone who wants to shoot with us.

Perhaps put the GPS cordinates for the turnoff from the main road ?

Whiskey Row Gunslingers, Prescott, AZ

Elevation and Location

5236 feet

N 34° 24. 969'

W 112° 33. 076'

TB

I have a google map of all the known Cas ranges in Nebraska. It has the gps coordinates, a tidbit about the club, and with google you can topo map it or satelite view it. It is in the Nebraska forum over at cascity.com.

Dm

GPS coordinates would be good.

For anyone who wants to GET the gps oordinates of your club (googles maps may be useless), download any of a number of free apps for an iPhone or Android. I use "Waypoint free" on my droid. Great for fishing too. Anywhere I happen to be, I can fire up the app and mark the waypoint. Name it "Bar-bar gun club", I can search it too.

This will get you to the Ozark Posse Range outside of Cassville, MO. Shoot 1st Saturday, Shooters meeting at 9:30, Lead downrange at 10

N 36 40' 12.52"

W 93 47' 06.78"

This and other sites will give you GPS coordinates from an address.

http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/geocoding.html

But ya need the adddress of the range, not someone's home or business where the mail goes!!

Bing maps also gives GPS when you look up an address.And the Birds-eye is cool...you can see the Burms, buildings,road layout, even targets!!!

BH

Our club Verdant Mountain Vigilantes does http://www.vtcowboys.com/VMV_Directions.html

We have a member who is our web master and does a fantastic job and make some of the tech. stuff seem easy. Adios Sgt. Jake

The first time I shot with the Hellgate Vigilantes in Missoula, I punched the address into Mapquest, printed it out, and the red star on the map put me about five miles away!

Archived